logo 
spacer

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

If you have an opinion, you should share it! Register Now!

America's Debate hosts the best in news, government, and political debate. Register now to take part in the most civil and constructive debate on the Internet. Join the community, and get ready to be challenged!

Click here to start

> Sponsored Links

Register to remove these ads!
> Sarah the Scapegoat?, A Rising or Shooting Star for the GOP?
Playing the Blame Game?
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 44
Guests cannot vote 
nighttimer
post Nov 7 2008, 08:50 AM
Post #1

Advanced Senior Contributor

Sponsor
February 2007

Group: Sponsors
Member No.: 504

Politics: Undisclosed
Party affiliation: Undisclosed

Suddenly the Straight Talk Express has become the Back Stabbing Express with unnamed staffers ripping Sarah Palin and suggesting she was a loose cannon who was unprepared, didn't know basic geography and played the part of the campaign drama queen.

The dissing of Sarah Palin included a forced silence on Election Night.

CNN) -- Republican VP nominee Sarah Palin had prepared to deliver a concession speech before John McCain's Tuesday night -- and brought her remarks with her to his Phoenix concession -- but senior McCain campaign adviser Steve Schmidt told her she could not.

Two McCain sources say Palin clearly did not understand the protocol of a concession speech, and expected she would have the chance to deliver one of her own.
link

Additionally, other stories have appeared in the aftermath of the loss that paint an unflattering picture of Palin:

#Fox News, a channel that had been generally flattering in its coverage of the "Palin phenomenon", reported that aides were astonished when they learned she was unaware that Africa was not a country but a whole continent. She was also said to be unable to name the countries that belong to the North American Free Trade Agreement: the US, Mexico and Canada
. link

# NEWSWEEK has also learned that Palin's shopping spree at high-end department stores was more extensive than previously reported. While publicly supporting Palin, McCain's top advisers privately fumed at what they regarded as her outrageous profligacy. One senior aide said that Nicolle Wallace had told Palin to buy three suits for the convention and hire a stylist. But instead, the vice presidential nominee began buying for herself and her family--clothes and accessories from top stores such as Saks Fifth Avenue and Neiman Marcus. According to two knowledgeable sources, a vast majority of the clothes were bought by a wealthy donor, who was shocked when he got the bill. Palin also used low-level staffers to buy some of the clothes on their credit cards. The McCain campaign found out last week when the aides sought reimbursement. One aide estimated that she spent "tens of thousands" more than the reported $150,000, and that $20,000 to $40,000 went to buy clothes for her husband. Some articles of clothing have apparently been lost. An angry aide characterized the shopping spree as "Wasilla hillbillies looting Neiman Marcus from coast to coast," and said the truth will eventually come out when the Republican Party audits its books.

A Palin aide said: "Governor Palin was not directing staffers to put anything on their personal credit cards, and anything that staffers put on their credit cards has been reimbursed, like an expense. Nasty and false accusations following a defeat say more about the person who made them than they do about Governor Palin."

# At the GOP convention in St. Paul, Palin was completely unfazed by the boys' club fraternity she had just joined. One night, Steve Schmidt and Mark Salter went to her hotel room to brief her. After a minute, Palin sailed into the room wearing nothing but a towel, with another on her wet hair. She told them to chat with her laconic husband, Todd. "I'll be just a minute," she said
. link

#Palin was apparently a nightmare for her campaign staff to deal with. She refused preparation help for her interview with Katie Couric and then blamed her staff, specifically Nicole Wallace, when the interview was panned as a disaster. After the Couric interview, Fox News reported, Palin turned nasty with her staff and began to accuse them of mishandling her. Palin would view press clippings of herself in the morning and throw "tantrums" over the negative coverage. There were times when she would be so nasty and angry that her staff was reduced to tears. link

The right-wing blogosphere is spitting nails. Michelle Malkin calls those whispering to Carl Cameron of Fox News and other reporters "cowards."

Let's assume the rumor-mongers are telling the truth for a moment. Who does it damn more: Sarah Palin or McCain and his vetters who green-lighted her for the vice presidential nomination? Don't need an Ivy League degree to figure that one out.

Sarah Palin worked her heart out. She energized tens of thousands to come out who would have otherwise stayed home. She touched countless families. I didn't agree with everything she said on the campaign trail. But two fundamental conservative stands she took mattered greatly to me: She vigorously defended the Second Amendment and the sanctity of life more eloquently in practice than any of the educated conservative aristocracy.

And she did it all with a tirelessness and infectious optimism that defied the shameless, bottomless attempts by elites in both parties to bring her and her family down.

Shame on the smearers who don't have the balls to show their faces.
link

The Questions for Debate:

1. Why are McCain's staffers tearing down Sarah Palin?

2. Should she have been allowed to give a concession speech?

3. Why hasn't McCain or a senior staffer publicly defended Palin and put an end to this?

4. Will Palin run for the presidency in 2012 (and if so, what does she need to do next time that she didn't do this time?)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Start new topic
Replies (20 - 28)
EuroBlack
post Nov 14 2008, 03:03 AM
Post #21

Century Mark

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,095

Politics: Liberal
Party affiliation: None

QUOTE(kalabus @ Nov 9 2008, 02:26 PM) *
a. I do not remember for sure, but also think McCain eventually turned on Gitmo. I do not know about his daughter or Eskew or what that means.

b. 8 Years later, they figured they would try the model out again, except make this one even less intelligent and needing even more proof from that jury that is still out on evolution and scence.

a. "Did you know McCain has fathered an illegitimate black child out of wedlock?" . This was the robocall that was used in the 2000 South Carolina primary by Bush against McCain (bush had the unbelievable gall to apologize to mccain for it, which is were Bush earned his "I'm stupid" credentials.) Bridget McCain is the darkskinned, Bangladeshi, adopted daughter of the McCains (then 8 yrs old)
Fast forward 8 years, and you have Bridget, making dad swear not to wage a dirty campaign. (See there the real reason McCain declaired Rev. Wright off limits .....) So after considering it all, what does mccain do? He HIRES THE SAME PEOPLE THAT WERE THE MASTERMINDS BEHIND THE SMEAR CAMPAIGN AGAINST HIM and HIS OWN DAUGHTER!, in those 2000 S.C. primaries

Wiki to mccain, 'south carolina elections'

b. But sometimes i have nightmares that if it hadn't been for the credit crisis, palin might've won.
Americans voted their wallet, not their common sense, even if those were aligned.
Then again, we can say since Obama is lucky, something else would've happened.

This post has been edited by EuroBlack: Nov 14 2008, 03:06 AM

+Quote Post
BoF
post Nov 14 2008, 03:49 AM
Post #22

Giga-bite: "I catch mice & rats - 2 & 4 legs."

Sponsor
October 2004

Member No.: 3,423

Party affiliation: Democrat

No and she shouldn't be encouraged to make post election speeches. In fact, Republicans will discourage her from opening her mouth period, if they are wise.

QUOTE(Chris Kofinis)
Sarah Palin is like that crazy relative who comes over and doesn't want to leave. She just seemingly does not want to leave the limelight. You know, maybe a better way to put it, one of my friends said, 'You know, she's like Sanjayah from American Idol. When is the fifteen minutes gonna be up?'

http://crooksandliars.com/david-neiwert/sh...t-sarah-palin-g

Apparently Texas Governor Rick Perry saw enough of Palin even before she had had her "fifteen minutes" this morning. Here is my Gov. stepping in to break up her press conference at the Republican Governor's Conference after only a few questions. I never knew I could be so fond of Governor Perry. thumbsup.gif

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/11/13/p...r_n_143576.html
Click Palin's picture for video.

This post has been edited by BoF: Nov 14 2008, 03:52 AM

+Quote Post
nighttimer
post Nov 14 2008, 06:13 AM
Post #23

Sponsor
February 2007

QUOTE(nighttimer @ Nov 7 2008, 03:50 AM) *
4. Will Palin run for the presidency in 2012 (and if so, what does she need to do next time that she didn't do this time?)[/b]

Nothing short of death or the planet spinning off its axis will stop Sarah Palin from running for the GOP nomination in 2012. NOTHING.

Not that I believe she'll get it.

Sarah Palin is the darling of the right-wing blogosphere, talking heads and Fixed Noise Network as evidenced by the flagrant act of butt-kissing done by Greta van Sustren in her recent smooch-fest on her program. Guess there must not be any blondes gone missing this week...

I have no doubt Palin will be able to raise the money for a chance to evict President Obama (I DO like the way that sounds!). The Republicans seem to think they need a rock star and Palin thinks she's it.

I'm just trying to envision her in a debate in Iowa with five or six other candidates all knowing they have to knock her down a peg. As Hillary Clinton found out to her everlasting chagrin, just because you're the prohibitive favorite, doesn't mean you've got the nomination in the bag. I wonder if Palin is up to the rigors of a full and protracted presidential candidate.

Things have a way of changing in a long political race and what looks like a potential winner in 2008 could turn into a hopeless loser by 2012.

As for what she needs for a future run, a set of core beliefs that don't look they came off of James Dobson and the evangelical Right's grocery list.

A remedial crash course in geography and a advance class in public speaking might help if she wants to be taken seriously. dry.gif

+Quote Post
Arterius
post Dec 26 2008, 12:01 AM
Post #24

Group: New Members
Member No.: 10,135

I'm a month late on this but, here it goes:

They need to blame someone for the failure of the campaign. She had somewhat of a negative effect on some people, even on some of those who were rooting in favor of McCain.

No. There wouldn't be a point to it and she'd be stepping over boundaries.

3. Why hasn't McCain or a senior staffer publicly defended Palin and put an end to this?

I really don't think it would put an end to the Palin-bashing. In some cases, I think it would actually fuel the fire even more.

4. Will Palin run for the presidency in 2012 (and if so, what does she need to do next time that she didn't do this time?)

I believe so. She needs to read up on how the system works and she needs to redeem herself. I believe she can possibly pull it off, but she needs to put a solid plan together. She needs to gain experience on debate, because I don't think she did too well during the VP debates.

+Quote Post
Iona
post Dec 26 2008, 01:50 AM
Post #25

Century Mark

Member No.: 10,226

Eh, She believes the world is 6000 years old?

No?
I wouldnt say Creationist should be allowed to do anything politcal, but thats just me.

Because She believes the world is 6000 years old?

Oh My Sweet Lord (pun intended).
If you want to make America a third world nation, YES!!!

What she would need? Stop believing the world is 6000 years old and come to the real world?
As a side note, I guess she "gets" around half of my fellow Americans, which says alot of my country, sweet lord, once again.

This post has been edited by Iona: Dec 26 2008, 01:53 AM

+Quote Post
Paladin Elspeth
post Jan 10 2009, 01:52 PM
Post #26

I want the 10th Doctor for President!

Sponsor
August 1, 2003

Member No.: 721

She undoubtedly wants to. She is certainly maintaining a high profile in the news, but what she is saying doesn't make sense. She is blaming Katie Couric, Tina Fey, the McCain team, and the news media for all of the problems and appears to be taking no personal responsibility for the knowledge deficits she demonstrated.

Palin actually said that it would have been different if she had been the candidate in the "Democrat" party (*cringe*). I beg to differ. Hillary Clinton would have had her for breakfast. She certainly would not have been the Democratic VP nominee under any circumstances.

Sarah Palin also points at Caroline Kennedy's bid for the Senate seat in New York, and she says that Ms. Kennedy is being treated differently due to a class issue. First of all, I don't think anyone is all that thrilled at this point about JFK's daughter's public appearances so far, so she isn't getting the benefit of the doubt as far as what New York's governor's choice is going to be. In addition, Caroline Kennedy is not running for Vice President! I know there's a "leetle" difference between taking a Senate seat and the Vice Presidency. While both call for competence and leadership, one is after all a "heartbeat from the Presidency".

The other day George H.W. Bush was talking about Jeb, the "smart" son, and how he would make a great President or Senator. As long as he is a possibility for the future, the Republicans are going to gravitate toward him. If Governor Palin believes that politics involves a lot of classism, she need only look to the Bush Dynasty to find it.

At any rate, she needs to get more "learning" about a lot of things and quit whining about whose fault it was that she wasn't a shoo-in for VP.

(And I really don't care about how young she thinks the world is. I am much more concerned about her ambition and tendency to use her office for family concerns, as well as a seeming indifference toward foreign and domestic issues.)

+Quote Post
BoF
post Jan 10 2009, 03:53 PM
Post #27

Giga-bite: "I catch mice & rats - 2 & 4 legs."

Sponsor
October 2004

Member No.: 3,423

QUOTE(Paladin Elspeth @ Jan 10 2009, 07:52 AM) *
At any rate, she needs to get more "learning" about a lot of things and quit whining about whose fault it was that she wasn't a shoo-in for VP.

(And I really don't care about how young she thinks the world is. I am much more concerned about her ambition and tendency to use her office for family concerns, as well as a seeming indifference toward foreign and domestic issues.)

I donít think Sarah Palin has the ability to grow into the role of president. Instead of being in learning mode, her latest interview is a litany of excuse making for her own poor performance.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/jan/1...lin-media-class

In the normal course of human development, boys become men and girls become women. We are just now Ė finally Ė getting rid of our frat boy president. sorcerer.gif dazed.gif

Sarah Palin would be the giddy school girl president, in the unfortunate event she ever managed to get elected.

There are any number of women capable of becoming good presidents. We donít need a girl. cry.gif

This post has been edited by BoF: Jan 10 2009, 04:24 PM

+Quote Post
nighttimer
post Jan 10 2009, 06:14 PM
Post #28

Sponsor
February 2007

QUOTE(BoF @ Jan 10 2009, 10:53 AM) *
Sarah Palin would be the giddy school girl president, in the unfortunate event she ever managed to get elected.

There are any number of women capable of becoming good presidents. We donít need a girl. cry.gif

I second that emotion. thumbsup.gif

Sarah Palin's whiny and self-pitying interview should forever disqualify her from higher office. She lacks the maturity, humility, and intelligence to be president. She is totally clueless as to what she did wrong. Everything is what Tina Fey or Katie Couric or the mainstream non-Faux News media did to her. She is personally blameless for the scrutiny or the fact she withered like a hothouse flower under the glare of national attention.

NOTHING is her fault. She knows the names of everyone that did her wrong. She doesn't think for a moment that she brought any of it upon herself.

The woman has a victim's mentality a mile long and an astonishing lack of media savvy. Sarah Palin may be the most immature person I've ever seen in American politics.

I hope she does run in 2012 and a genuine, principled and pragmatic Republican opponent exposes her for the shallow phony she is.

+Quote Post
rsixing
post Jan 10 2009, 06:18 PM
Post #29

Contributor

Member No.: 10,234

Politics: Slightly Liberal

Seems Palin envisions herself as PotUS even though her performance as McCain's calculated political strategy choice for VP was catestrophic to the republican parties pursuit of 4 more years. Should have been her wakeup call. Now she's out with even more excuses of why she's not responsible for her failures; the snippets of an interview for an upcoming documentary does nothing more then confirm this absense of accountability and clear character flaw. Guess she's taking from the Rumsfeld book of plays.

This post has been edited by rsixing: Jan 10 2009, 06:20 PM

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Go to the top of the page - Simple Version Time is now: November 18th, 2018 - 12:36 AM
©2002-2010 America's Debate, Inc.  All rights reserved.