logo 
spacer

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

If you have an opinion, you should share it! Register Now!

America's Debate hosts the best in news, government, and political debate. Register now to take part in the most civil and constructive debate on the Internet. Join the community, and get ready to be challenged!

Click here to start

> Sponsored Links

Register to remove these ads!
> Is Daschle the right man for the job?, or is he tied to special interests
Ted
post Feb 3 2009, 04:37 PM
Post #1

Ten Thousand Club

Sponsor
February 2007

Group: Sponsors
Member No.: 1,807

Politics: Conservative
Party affiliation: Independent

We have heard a good deal about Mr. Daschle’s tax issues. He also has other issues that could be even more important.
Report: Daschle Received $220G From Health Care Groups With Vested Interest
“Tom Daschle, the former South Dakota senator picked by President Obama to preside over the nation's healthcare system, received $220,000 in speaking fees from health care groups with an interest in the work he would do once confirmed as health chief, Politico.com reported Saturday.
Daschle, who has come under fire in recent days for his failure to pay taxes, reportedly received thousands from health care groups -- such as the Health Industry Distributors Association -- that stand to gain or lose depending on the outcome of Obama's universal health care initiative.
Daschle also had unreported consulting income of $88,333, in 2007.
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/01/30...t-confirmation/

Questions for the debate.

1. Should Mr. Daschle, who has clearly received money from groups with vested interests in health care, be confirmed to head Department of Health and Human Services? Why or Why not? How can he be Impartial?
2. Does the back tax issue concern you are well? Why or Why not.
3. Since only the tax issue seems to have been address by the Administration, should this issue be explored as well? Is this the “transparency” you expected?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 8)
Zack
post Feb 3 2009, 05:11 PM
Post #2

Five Hundred Club

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,030

Politics: Undisclosed
Party affiliation: Undisclosed

1. Should Mr. Daschle, who has clearly received money from groups with vested interests in health care, be confirmed to head Department of Health and Human Services? Why or Why not? How can he be Impartial?

I think the President should have the person of his choice unless there is something really stinking about the President's choice.

2. Does the back tax issue concern you are well? Why or Why not.

I think all of the things you pointed out should have concerned the President since they reverse what he said he will stand for. I heard yesterday that there was a second tax issue; it seems that he failed to report one month's salary for any taxation that exceeds $100,000.00 (accidentally).

3. Since only the tax issue seems to have been address by the Administration, should this issue be explored as well? Is this the “transparency” you expected?

Just let it move with deliberation like the stimulus bill and as every day passes Obama's favorable poll numbers will drop.

+Quote Post
lederuvdapac
post Feb 3 2009, 05:50 PM
Post #3

Mr. Free Market

Sponsor
August 2006

Member No.: 2,573

Politics: Independent
Party affiliation: None

Looks like Daschle is withdrawing. Two withdrawals in two days. Obama is starting out rough.

This post has been edited by lederuvdapac: Feb 3 2009, 06:01 PM

+Quote Post
Wertz
post Feb 3 2009, 06:00 PM
Post #4

Group Icon

Advanced Senior

Sponsor
January 2003

Group: Committee Members
Member No.: 181

Politics: Liberal

QUOTE(lederuvdapac @ Feb 3 2009, 12:50 PM) *
Looks like Daschle is withdrawing.

Yep - looks like it's official. I can't say I'm broken-hearted. happy.gif Then again, there are plenty of lobbyists to take his place...

This post has been edited by Wertz: Feb 3 2009, 06:07 PM

+Quote Post
Amlord
post Feb 3 2009, 06:14 PM
Post #5

Group Icon

The Roaring Lion

Sponsor

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 572

Party affiliation: Republican

Daschle is not a lobbyist, but he is as close to one as possible. Also, his wife is a lobbyist.

Barack Obama has said that he would not allow lobbyists to hold jobs in his administration. He's gone back on that at least once already (another in a long string of broken campaign promises in the first couple of weeks of his administration).

The bigger issue for me is the tax evasion. This is getting incredible that these nominees (Geithner, Daschle, almost-picked Richardson) have had unpaid back taxes. Don't these people understand the backlash of putting tax avoiders in appointed positions? It sends the signal that you really don't have to pay taxes unless/until you are caught.

As for transparency, Obama had promised that every bill he signed into law would be on his website for at least five days before he signed it so that people knew exactly what he is doing. It hasn't happened yet and I'm not holding my breath.

Now the news has broken that Daschle is out. So much for this topic.

+Quote Post
nighttimer
post Feb 3 2009, 06:47 PM
Post #6

Advanced Senior Contributor

Sponsor
February 2007

Member No.: 504

Politics: Undisclosed
Party affiliation: Undisclosed

What is it with these Washington insiders and taxes?

PAY YOUR DAMN TAXES, YOU CHEAP LOSERS!!!

I'm glad Tom Daschle and Chief Performance Officer Nancy Killefer quit without the agony of the Timothy Geithener and the contortions he went through trying to wiggle out of his tax payment problems.

I disagree with lederuvdapac that the president is "starting out rough." What we're seeing is it's a lot harder to govern than it is to campaign. In both the cases of Daschle and Killefer they never were even voted out of committee, so rather than give blood over two doomed candidates, they instead withdrew before they could cost the president further embarrassment.

But I've got to admit, with the withdrawal of Bill Richardson, and now Daschle and Killefer plus the sloppy way Geithener handled his business, The Obama Administration has got some serious vetting issues.

Senator Gregg, would you mind producing your tax returns for the last 20 years or so? dry.gif

+Quote Post
lederuvdapac
post Feb 3 2009, 07:06 PM
Post #7

Mr. Free Market

Sponsor
August 2006

Member No.: 2,573

Politics: Independent

Well I think what all this proves is that our elected politicians are just like everyone else. They want to pay less taxes. I will give these people the benefit of the doubt, although I shouldn't, that they just did not understand the tax code. If it is so difficult for honest people to pay their taxes correctly, imagine how easy it is for people to scam the system. The solution? Eliminate the income tax and the IRS and replace it with...nothing. If we cannot stomach such an outrageous increase in the wealth and well-being of Americans, then abolish the current tax system and implement a flat tax at somewhere around 14-17%. This way people will know nice and easy what they owe and not have to spend money on fancy accountants.

+Quote Post
Paladin Elspeth
post Feb 4 2009, 12:21 AM
Post #8

I want the 10th Doctor for President!

Sponsor
August 1, 2003

Member No.: 721

Politics: Liberal
Party affiliation: Democrat

I just watched the President on three news networks. What wonderful candor he demonstrated when simply saying, "I screwed up" regarding Daschle and the tax problem! He owned up to it, something that some previous Presidents found it hard if not impossible to do.

It's sad that Daschle won't be working on health care in this administration; it was a priority for him. I hope that Judd Gregg, who previously questioned the need for the department to which he has just been nominated secretary, will be as dedicated (or perhaps more so) to finding health care for Americans as Tom Daschle was believed to be.

This post has been edited by Paladin Elspeth: Feb 4 2009, 12:23 AM

+Quote Post
Ted
post Feb 12 2009, 08:41 PM
Post #9

Ten Thousand Club

Sponsor
February 2007

Member No.: 1,807

Party affiliation: Independent

QUOTE(Paladin Elspeth @ Feb 3 2009, 07:21 PM) *
I just watched the President on three news networks. What wonderful candor he demonstrated when simply saying, "I screwed up" regarding Daschle and the tax problem! He owned up to it, something that some previous Presidents found it hard if not impossible to do.

It's sad that Daschle won't be working on health care in this administration; it was a priority for him. I hope that Judd Gregg, who previously questioned the need for the department to which he has just been nominated secretary, will be as dedicated (or perhaps more so) to finding health care for Americans as Tom Daschle was believed to be.

Clearly Daschle would have been a good choice since he has spent so much time on the subject.

Its really sad that so many of our elected officials have the legal and ethical problems they do.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Go to the top of the page - Simple Version Time is now: November 17th, 2018 - 08:58 AM
©2002-2010 America's Debate, Inc.  All rights reserved.