logo 
spacer

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

If you have an opinion, you should share it! Register Now!

America's Debate hosts the best in news, government, and political debate. Register now to take part in the most civil and constructive debate on the Internet. Join the community, and get ready to be challenged!

Click here to start

> Sponsored Links

Register to remove these ads!
> A peculiar visitor here., An introduction indeed.
JP Cusick
post Oct 13 2011, 05:03 PM
Post #1

Contributor

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,134

Politics: Slightly Conservative
Party affiliation: Democrat

Hi all.

I am active on many internet forums so I am not new to such an interface.

The registration here was strict and I see the rules here are strict too.

I am a real life 2012 candidate for the US Senate from my State of Maryland, see link here = Maryland Board of Elections - 2012 Primary State Candidates List.

My campaign platform is to reform the Child Support laws, see link here = Vote JP platform.

So some people could view me as being SPAM depending on however one might define SPAM but I do not consider myself as being SPAM.

I do want to discuss the issue and discuss my own politics and stuff so this is my intro.

us.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Start new topic
Replies (20 - 39)
Paladin Elspeth
post Oct 18 2011, 02:16 AM
Post #21

I want the 10th Doctor for President!

Sponsor
August 1, 2003

Group: Sponsors
Member No.: 721

Politics: Liberal

QUOTE(JP Cusick @ Oct 17 2011, 08:23 PM) *
QUOTE(Paladin Elspeth @ Oct 17 2011, 02:55 PM) *
We've all abided by the rules and waited a while before being able to post our own threads. It's no big deal. It gives us a chance to first get to know each other a little in other threads. In the past there have been posters who joined us for no reason but to ride their own hobby horse, only to flame out in a very short time.

I hope you will see fit to join us in discussions besides the one that comprises your platform. Candidates who sound well-informed on a variety of subjects tend to gain the confidence of would-be supporters. On the other hand, one-subject politicians, although they may gain temporary attention ("The rent is too damn high!") tend to become a flash in the pan.

It turns out that I too am one of those ride my "own hobby horse" and my flame here has indeed run out.

I still get email notifications if anyone wants to post on here but there is no reason for me to stay here.

I am active on many Internet forums and I do not participate on any subject just to debate and debate without purpose or conclusion.

And it really makes no sense to me that you or this forum or anyone to not want any short term participation or single subject members because that is a significant part of humanity.

Obeying rules is a far different virtue rather than paranoid restrictions. This forum can act like a privileged private Country Club since it appears that way, and so be it.

It is time for me to move on, but I will still reply here if any one wants to talk to me as a lone ranger, and as me being one of those kind of persons that are not wanted here.

Most assuredly, this forum is restrictive to those who feel it must be "My way or the highway."

Fare thee well.

This post has been edited by Paladin Elspeth: Oct 18 2011, 02:17 AM

+Quote Post
Julian
post Oct 18 2011, 10:43 AM
Post #22

Group Icon

Every day, when I wake up, I thank the Lord I'm Welsh

Group: Committee Members
Member No.: 496

Party affiliation: Other

QUOTE(JP Cusick @ Oct 18 2011, 01:23 AM) *
QUOTE(Paladin Elspeth @ Oct 17 2011, 02:55 PM) *
We've all abided by the rules and waited a while before being able to post our own threads. It's no big deal. It gives us a chance to first get to know each other a little in other threads. In the past there have been posters who joined us for no reason but to ride their own hobby horse, only to flame out in a very short time.

I hope you will see fit to join us in discussions besides the one that comprises your platform. Candidates who sound well-informed on a variety of subjects tend to gain the confidence of would-be supporters. On the other hand, one-subject politicians, although they may gain temporary attention ("The rent is too damn high!") tend to become a flash in the pan.

It turns out that I too am one of those ride my "own hobby horse" and my flame here has indeed run out.

That's your own choice, though - a thread was started on your behalf by a sympathetic poster, and you posted on it precisely twice, and on neither occasion did you engage with any of the other posters on the thread. Politics and debate is not things that happen simply by each person taking turns to articulate their own point of view without reference to anyone else, you have to engage with ideas other than your own, if only to attempt to refute them.

I still get email notifications if anyone wants to post on here but there is no reason for me to stay here.

Your choice.

I am active on many Internet forums and I do not participate on any subject just to debate and debate without purpose or conclusion.

Then, for the sake of your own sanity, do not stand for elected office. If you become a Senator, and the only thing you ever talk about in the Senate is child support laws, your constituents aren't going to be very happy with the way you're representing them, are they?

And it really makes no sense to me that you or this forum or anyone to not want any short term participation or single subject members because that is a significant part of humanity.

Who said ad.gif wanted to involve the entirety of humanity? We aim be the best in internet political debate, not the most popular.

Obeying rules is a far different virtue rather than paranoid restrictions. This forum can act like a privileged private Country Club since it appears that way, and so be it.

You say you post on many other debate sites, so you'll know that the vast majority of them either have no rules or they're enforced quixotically by partisan moderation. We're not like that here. Our rules do treat posting here as a privilege, it's true - that's why you have to earn the right to be able to open your own debate topics by the simple expedient of posting within the rules and - crucially - the Survival Guidefor a while. If you haven't already read the Survival Guide I strongly suggest you do so.

We're not paranoid here either - we don't think anyone is trying to prevent us saying what we want to say. Nobody here is preventing you from doing that either - you've posted freely without being prevented from doing so, having your posts removed or edited to toe some ideological line or other.

The definition of paranoia is the belief in a person that other people are "out to get" them with little or no real evidence to support that view. So all I'd ask is - who is it who's paranoid?

It is time for me to move on, but I will still reply here if any one wants to talk to me as a lone ranger, and as me being one of those kind of persons that are not wanted here.

We want contributors to engage with other participants in civil and constructive debate. If you don't think you fit that mould, or you don't want to fit it, then you're right, you probably aren't suited to ad.gif but it's you that's making the choice not to be active here, not us telling you you can't be.

+Quote Post
akaCG
post Oct 18 2011, 02:32 PM
Post #23

Advanced Senior Contributor

Sponsor
August 2012

Member No.: 10,787

Politics: Conservative
Party affiliation: Independent

... my flame here has indeed run out.

... there is no reason for me to stay here.

It is time for me to move on, ...

It was just a matter of time before this came to pass, Mr. Cusick.

+Quote Post
Gray Seal
post Oct 18 2011, 03:23 PM
Post #24

Millennium Mark

Member No.: 335

Politics: Undisclosed
Party affiliation: None

I am disappointed there will not be your perspective on legislative corrections and a discussion of them and possible others. We can still have that discussion here at ad.gif but your work on it would be good to hear.

+Quote Post
Ataal
post Oct 18 2011, 06:47 PM
Post #25

Senior Contributor

Member No.: 674

Politics: Independent
Party affiliation: Libertarian

QUOTE(akaCG @ Oct 18 2011, 07:32 AM) *
... my flame here has indeed run out.

... there is no reason for me to stay here.

It is time for me to move on, ...

Wow. Just......wow.

No wonder he doesn't stay long enough to debate anyone.

My personal favorite:

“The reality is that most if not all Women do not know how to raise a child…In human beings it is the father that raises the children and that is why children with the Mom usually grows up dysfunctional or lacking in maturity.”

+Quote Post
JP Cusick
post Oct 19 2011, 01:51 PM
Post #26

Contributor

QUOTE(akaCG @ Oct 18 2011, 10:32 AM) *

That link is for a political Internet heckler from my Maryland who follows me around online, so it is not a representation of me or of my positions.

Having my own online hecklers (there are other ones) then that shows that I have entered the real world of politics and campaigns.

====================
QUOTE(Ataal @ Oct 18 2011, 02:47 PM) *
Wow. Just......wow.

No wonder he doesn't stay long enough to debate anyone.

My personal favorite:

“The reality is that most if not all Women do not know how to raise a child…In human beings it is the father that raises the children and that is why children with the Mom usually grows up dysfunctional or lacking in maturity.”

If you look at that quote then it gives a dot dot dot ( ... ) which means a part is left out of the quote, and the quote you give does NOT have a source link so anyone could see the real quote instead of that incorrect rendition.

Otherwise the point is accurate that the Moms and the Dads do have two (2) different and distinct roles in raising their children, and the Mom can not fill the Dad's role just as the Dad can not fill the role of the mother.

The children need unrestricted access to both of their biological parents, and the children do NOT need the Child Support and Custody laws.

====================
QUOTE(Julian @ Oct 18 2011, 06:43 AM) *
but it's you that's making the choice not to be active here, not us telling you you can't be.

Yes, it is my choice, and God knows we have to blame some one.

I now see this AD forum as being a forum of snobs, and that is not necessarily an insult because snobbery is a very common thing and very American and it seems to really fit this forum here.

Just giving my own perception of course.

As is I still must be grateful to this AD forum because I followed its given "recommendation" to discuss "Religion" over at the "Debating Christianity & Religion" forum which I now have two ongoing threads there, link 1 HERE, and link 2 HERE.

It has long been my personal policy in every regard that I take the best from any source and leave the rest which is what I do here too.

+Quote Post
Julian
post Oct 19 2011, 04:34 PM
Post #27

Group Icon

QUOTE(JP Cusick @ Oct 19 2011, 02:51 PM) *
QUOTE(Julian @ Oct 18 2011, 06:43 AM) *
but it's you that's making the choice not to be active here, not us telling you you can't be.

Yes, it is my choice, and God knows we have to blame some one.

I now see this AD forum as being a forum of snobs, and that is not necessarily an insult because snobbery is a very common thing and very American and it seems to really fit this forum here.

As is I still must be grateful to this AD forum because I followed its given "recommendation" to discuss "Religion" over at the "Debating Christianity & Religion" forum which I now have two ongoing threads there, link 1 HERE, and link 2 HERE.

It has long been my personal policy in every regard that I take the best from any source and leave the rest which is what I do here too.

On the one hand, I'm not sure how you get to that conclusion. Post a few more times on the public debate forums here, (from memory I think it's five or ten - not too taxing) and you'll be able to post the same debate topic on ad.gif. I'm not sure how you get to snobbery from that.

On the other, I'm reminded of a quote from The Magnificent Seven
Chamlee: I don't like it, no sir. I've always treated every man the same: just as another, future customer.
Henry: Well in that case, get that hearse rolling.
Chamlee: I can't, my driver's quit!
Robert: He's prejudiced too, huh?
Chamlee: Well, when it comes to a chance of getting his head blown off, he's downright bigoted.

If the distinction is between high-quality debate we get on ad.gif most of the time and the kind of bunfights that beleaguer the rest of the debate sites I've seen, I'm downright snobbish, no question.

Good luck in the elections all the same.

+Quote Post
pheeler
post Oct 19 2011, 05:02 PM
Post #28

Professional Chem Nerd

Sponsor
October 2003

Member No.: 925

Politics: Slightly Liberal

QUOTE(JP Cusick @ Oct 19 2011, 05:51 AM) *

I now see JPCusick as immature and childish, and that is not necessarily an insult because immaturity is a very common thing and very American and it seems to really fit his personality.

+Quote Post
Ataal
post Oct 19 2011, 05:32 PM
Post #29

Senior Contributor

Member No.: 674

Party affiliation: Libertarian

QUOTE(pheeler @ Oct 19 2011, 10:02 AM) *
QUOTE(JP Cusick @ Oct 19 2011, 05:51 AM) *

I now see JPCusick as immature and childish, and that is not necessarily an insult because immaturity is a very common thing and very American and it seems to really fit his personality.

Sometimes, I wish this was Facebook, just because I really wanted to "like" this post. Totally made my day.

+Quote Post
Dingo
post Oct 19 2011, 06:08 PM
Post #30

Elite Senior Contributor

Member No.: 225

Party affiliation: Private

This might provide some insight into the source of JP Cusick's politics.

+Quote Post
pheeler
post Oct 19 2011, 06:53 PM
Post #31

Professional Chem Nerd

Sponsor
October 2003

I do want to expand a little bit on my thoughts about JP since my last post is a bit of a Parthian shot.

He and his chosen issue were welcomed warmly, and because he was unable to start his own topic on the issue of child support, CR did him the courtesy of starting it for him. He made two isolated posts without really engaging anyone else who was participating on the topic. In fact, in the second post, he quoted his first. Clearly, he was dissatisfied with the discourse on the topic.

Personally, I found it a very interesting and heated discussion on the topic guided by both personal and professional experience, and there were many issues raised that JP could have chimed in on, including sharing his personal experience which has now found its way onto this thread anyway. Instead, he made no connection between his broad campaign platform and the specific issues raised by the participants in that thread.

QUOTE(JP Cusick)
I do not participate on any subject just to debate and debate without purpose or conclusion.

This comment begs the question, what are you looking for on this debate website Mr. Cusick? What is the purpose you're seeking? If what you want is merely approval of your opinion, you're not going to find it here. We focus on both agreement and disagreement, and for good reason. Consequently, nearly no topics are concluded by any kind of consensus on the issue. To be blunt, that's not the point at all.

The point is that by exchanging ideas, the participators come away with a different perspective on the issue. More often than not, that different perspective an even more entrenched position because in the eyes of the participant, he/she has stood up to an opposing opinion and defended the position successfully. In other words, you have an opportunity to test and strengthen your position which will make it more convincing if it is tested again. Less commonly, participants come away convinced that their previous position was flawed, and they have an opportunity to modify it for their own personal benefit. In other words, they learn something.

If the above is not what you are looking for, Mr. Cusick, then I wish you the best on your way. I will warn you that you're walking away from an opportunity to learn from some very well-informed contributors both liberal and conservative. I'll also warn you that you won't like everything you read, and I fear that when you say:

You really mean you take what you like from any source and leave what you don't. If that's the case, you should be on your way. flowers.gif

+Quote Post
BoF
post Oct 19 2011, 08:22 PM
Post #32

Giga-bite: "I catch mice & rats - 2 & 4 legs."

Sponsor
October 2004

Member No.: 3,423

Board policy regarding starting posts is longstanding and reasonable.

There is also a longstanding tradition, if not policy,* that we debate issues rather than other members.

Hence, I have nothing to say about JP Cusick, except that like everyone here is free to come and go, to post frequently or rarely, etc.

*If I remember correctly, we tried debating lordhelmet several years ago and Mike quickly nixed the thread.

This post has been edited by BoF: Oct 19 2011, 10:02 PM

+Quote Post
Jaime
post Oct 19 2011, 09:35 PM
Post #33

Group Icon

Elite Senior Contributor

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4

Party affiliation: None

Point of order - 10 posts is not ad.gif policy. The ability to start topics is set based on participation, not only a specific post count.

+Quote Post
Paladin Elspeth
post Oct 19 2011, 09:48 PM
Post #34

I want the 10th Doctor for President!

Sponsor
August 1, 2003

Member No.: 721

An initial, probationary status does not indicate snobbery. It is altogether reasonable to see how a new member does before affording him (or her) full membership privileges.

If you can't abide a simple rule here, how would you ever tolerate following rules in Congress?

+Quote Post
CruisingRam
post Oct 19 2011, 10:16 PM
Post #35

Elite Senior Contributor

Member No.: 927

QUOTE(Dingo @ Oct 19 2011, 10:08 AM) *

However- I totally agree with his civil disobedience- I wish more guys graffiti-d the various houses- pretty good idea IMHO. Just don't get caught LOL -too bad he did more time for that than Scooter Libby did for treason.

+Quote Post
Julian
post Oct 19 2011, 11:43 PM
Post #36

Group Icon

QUOTE(Jaime @ Oct 19 2011, 10:35 PM) *
[mod]Point of order - 10 posts is not ad.gif policy. The ability to start topics is set based on participation, not only a specific post count.[/mod]

My mistake - sorry to anyone I misled.

+Quote Post
JP Cusick
post Oct 20 2011, 12:49 PM
Post #37

Contributor

QUOTE(Paladin Elspeth @ Oct 19 2011, 05:48 PM) *
An initial, probationary status does not indicate snobbery. It is altogether reasonable to see how a new member does before affording him (or her) full membership privileges.

Calling it as "snobbery" is a nice and polite thing for me to call it, as there are more choice words which would be more accurate.

In cases of snobbery we have to compare it to other forums to see where the standards lay, and then ask why is this one even more "special" than the vast majority which do not have such restrictions?

If you can't abide a simple rule here, how would you ever tolerate following rules in Congress?

In this case I have NOT violated the rules, so refusing to follow such rules is not the same as breaking rules.

And in this case the so-called "rules" are not even told as the rules are arbitrary and capricious, as in one person has to apologize for telling that it is 10 posting while the actual rules are not told.

I do not see myself as being subordinate to those who rule here, even if others see it otherwise.

+Quote Post
Dingo
post Oct 20 2011, 02:42 PM
Post #38

Elite Senior Contributor

Member No.: 225

Party affiliation: Private

Wow, ad.gif has Cusick handcuffed and locked up. Watch out Jamie and Mike, JP is getting ready for a bust out! Your rule will no longer be tolerated. mad.gif

+Quote Post
akaCG
post Oct 20 2011, 02:50 PM
Post #39

Advanced Senior Contributor

Sponsor
August 2012

Member No.: 10,787

Politics: Conservative
Party affiliation: Independent

With each passing day, the title of this thread becomes more and more accurate.

+Quote Post
pheeler
post Oct 20 2011, 04:52 PM
Post #40

Professional Chem Nerd

Sponsor
October 2003

QUOTE(JP Cusick @ Oct 20 2011, 04:49 AM) *

In this case I have NOT violated the rules, so refusing to follow such rules is not the same as breaking rules.

You didn't answer the question. If you can't be humble and patient enough to wait through an introductory period on an internet debate forum, how are you going to be able to transition into the US Senate? If elected, you are going to be an outsider in the Senate, and you're going to have to establish yourself meekly before anyone takes you seriously. It might not be part of the rules, but it's part of common discourse.

If I didn't know your age, I would guess you are a teenager based on your fitful, dramatic reaction to an innocuous and pragmatic precedent that every forum member present has also gone through.

And in this case the so-called "rules" are not even told as the rules are arbitrary and capricious, as in one person has to apologize for telling that it is 10 posting while the actual rules are not told.

Then start your own debate forum and run it how you see fit. You don't seem to understand that you are powerless to change us, so your protestations are completely in vain.

I do not see myself as being subordinate to those who rule here, even if others see it otherwise.

I don't see you as subordinate to anyone here or elsewhere, and if you see yourself that way, you might want to reconsider your perspective.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Go to the top of the page - Simple Version Time is now: August 19th, 2018 - 05:41 PM
©2002-2010 America's Debate, Inc.  All rights reserved.