logo 
spacer

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

If you have an opinion, you should share it! Register Now!

America's Debate hosts the best in news, government, and political debate. Register now to take part in the most civil and constructive debate on the Internet. Join the community, and get ready to be challenged!

Click here to start

> Sponsored Links

Register to remove these ads!

> IMPORTANT NOTICE

This forum is for declared Libertarians ONLY. If you have not declared yourself as such, DO NOT post here.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Small government ideology vs Reality of running government, Can they co-exist?
CruisingRam
post Oct 15 2009, 06:37 AM
Post #1

Elite Senior Contributor

Group: Members
Member No.: 927

Politics: Liberal
Party affiliation: Other

Though the libertarian party has grown in membership, it really hasn't translated to wins at the polls- a win is still few and far between enough to have any real influence outside speeches by Ron Paul. In order to win A lot of libertarian energy and attention goes to national races, but doesn't focus enough on local races IMHO. In order to win votes, you also have to prove, at the grass roots level, that you can run government locally before you can run nationally. I mean, most of our elected officials, no matter what branch, came up through the ranks of local politics.

The Libertarian party has no solid local network of locally elected officials that can be called up to the 'big leagues"

So my question is-

1) How does the libertarain party prove to the general public that it can run government smoothly and competently even though it has some extreme small government ideology?

2) In terms of politicians that promise small government, and deliver- can you provide an example where the politician is shown to be competent administrator of government? In other words, can you provide an example a declared small government ideological politician that delivers small government and still has a clean and vibrant district at the end of his/her term? Did the streets get plowed of snow and fires put out?

3) Is it possible to have someone that wants far less government hold an elected office that runs government (say school board member) and runs it well?

P.s.- I wanted to see a debate amongst Libertarians only in regards to being able to win a local election, and then fulfill the duties of that office well and do it so well that they are able to get re-elected, perhaps to a higher office. I would like to see a libertarian debate with a local flavor thumbsup.gif

I will start a similar topic in general debate, so those that favor small government but are not declared libertarian can pile on the discussion. thumbsup.gif

This post has been edited by CruisingRam: Oct 15 2009, 06:46 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Go to the top of the page - Simple Version Time is now: October 17th, 2018 - 02:39 PM
©2002-2010 America's Debate, Inc.  All rights reserved.