logo 
spacer

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

If you have an opinion, you should share it! Register Now!

America's Debate hosts the best in news, government, and political debate. Register now to take part in the most civil and constructive debate on the Internet. Join the community, and get ready to be challenged!

Click here to start

> Sponsored Links

Register to remove these ads!
> Zoning and "sin restrictions"
Bikerdad
post May 18 2016, 04:01 AM
Post #1

Advanced Senior Contributor

Group: Members
Member No.: 715

Politics: Undisclosed
Party affiliation: Undisclosed

Ever since the establishment of zoning ordinances, zoning has been used to keep "those folks", whether those folks are of the wrong class, ethnicity, or race. It has also been used to as a tool of social reform.

Gun control advocates have taken up the tool of zoning, restricting the siting of gun shops and other firearms related facilities.

Questions for Debate:

1) Do you think ZONING restrictions on gun shops, beyond those on any other facility that may have hazardous materials, should be pursued?

2) Would you consider a zoning restriction that forbade any gun shops within 500 feet from any of the following:
  • residentially zoned district
  • school
  • day care center
  • pre-school
  • Anyplace where alcohol is sold
to be reasonable?

3) Does your opinion change if the above zoning restrictions eliminates any possibility of a gun shop in the jurisdiction?

4) If the gun shop does NOT sell any ammunition (i.e. hazardous materials), do you believe such zoning restrictions would still be appropriate?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 2)
Hobbes
post May 18 2016, 10:01 PM
Post #2

Group Icon

No More Mr. Nice Guy!

Group: Committee Members
Member No.: 1,155

Politics: Conservative
Party affiliation: Independent

Limited time, but this is a good thread, so going to jot down an initial reply.

Ever since the establishment of zoning ordinances, zoning has been used to keep "those folks", whether those folks are of the wrong class, ethnicity, or race. It has also been used to as a tool of social reform.

Gun control advocates have taken up the tool of zoning, restricting the siting of gun shops and other firearms related facilities.

My first thoughts are that whether I agree or disagree...this is what is going to happen. People use zoning to enforce their agendas all the time...that is pretty much what zoning does. Hard to extract politics from it.

I think your follow on questions get to whether one does feel it is right or not...will address those when I have time.

+Quote Post
Gray Seal
post May 26 2016, 10:53 PM
Post #3

Millennium Mark

Group: Members
Member No.: 335

Politics: Undisclosed
Party affiliation: None

I am in agreement with Hobbes, "People use zoning to enforce their agendas all the time...that is pretty much what zoning does."

In general, people should be able to use their own land as they wish. If a vast majority wish to place restrictions it should take a vast majority. A simple majority should not be sufficient. There must be a strong consensus to restrict personal ownership decisions. A simple majority gives power to those with a personal agenda. A simple majority does not demonstrate the great preponderance of values for a community.

1) Do you think ZONING restrictions on gun shops, beyond those on any other facility that may have hazardous materials, should be pursued?

I do not think there is any undue hazard.

2) Would you consider a zoning restriction to be reasonable that forbade any gun shops within 500 feet from any of the following: residentially zoned district, school, day care center, pre-school, anyplace where alcohol is sold?

I do not know of any correlation between where a gun is purchased and its use in an immediate area.

[b]3) Does your opinion change if the above zoning restrictions eliminates any possibility of a gun shop in the jurisdiction?[/b]

No.

4) If the gun shop does NOT sell any ammunition (i.e. hazardous materials), do you believe such zoning restrictions would still be appropriate?

No.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Go to the top of the page - Simple Version Time is now: July 18th, 2018 - 04:54 AM
©2002-2010 America's Debate, Inc.  All rights reserved.