logo 
spacer

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

If you have an opinion, you should share it! Register Now!

America's Debate hosts the best in news, government, and political debate. Register now to take part in the most civil and constructive debate on the Internet. Join the community, and get ready to be challenged!

Click here to start

> Sponsored Links

Register to remove these ads!
> America on Fire, Police Brutality in America
droop224
post May 31 2020, 12:44 AM
Post #1

Advanced Senior Contributor

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,073

Politics: Very Liberal
Party affiliation: None

As the media age we live in continues to grow, images and videos continue to pop in our video feeds of police brutality grow along with it. In the pass few days we've seen a man killed by a cop who kneeled on his neck and other cops did their duty by making sure that no one prevented the officer from killing a citizen in broad daylight. We've seen multiple riots in a multitude of cities. Clever, but pointed memes such as Colin Kaepernick kneeling juxtapose against the officer kneeling on the neck of George Floyd. Most impressive thing I've seen. More Whites in my social media feeds speaking out. Not the perfunctory admission that there are "bad apples" but Whites coming to the conclusion of the systemic racism and racial biases in our law enforcement strategies. I'm not delusional enough to think that "a change is going to come" from this incident, but I feel that there may be people who previously were not to that the issues with policing in this nation is that the system itself is "bad." But is there systemic issues with out legal and law enforcement system? Are there solutions palatable to more Conservative leaning constituency? If so, what are the solutions that can bridge the divide?

Questions for debate.

Is there systemic issues within policing strategies that make allowances for police brutality?

What are strategies that we can employ as a nation to further reduce the possibility of police killing unarmed suspects in this nation?

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Mrs. Pigpen
post Dec 9 2020, 02:40 PM
Post #2

Group Icon

Carpe noctum

Sponsor
June 2003

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 598

Politics: Slightly Conservative
Party affiliation: Independent

QUOTE(Eeyore @ Dec 6 2020, 01:12 PM) *
Rules of engagement should be a matter of constant discussion in communities across the nation.

Tip of the spear folks in the military have a lot of training in this area. Hundreds of hours. Fighter pilots for example will perform a training exercise, bring back the tape, all the experts in the room will watch it and critique everything he/she did in front of them. And they'll do it again and again so it's as natural as possible when they're under real fire and real adrenaline is pumping.
Police officers have nowhere near this level of training under stressful "combat" type situations.
Think I read (though I'm sure it varies) they get something like two hours per year on average. Also relatively little firearms training (again, from what I've read).
People under stress don't raise to the level of expectations, they fall to the level of their training/habit pattern.

From what I've read (my spouse and sons are big fans of the Gracie family BJJ, Brazillian Ju Jitsu and they provide law enforcement training) the measures used by ignorant legislators to ostensibly curb police brutality are actually far more likely to cause injuries and death (via eliminating non-lethal methods to subdue the offender).

This post has been edited by Mrs. Pigpen: Dec 9 2020, 02:43 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
droop224   America on Fire   May 31 2020, 12:44 AM
Mrs. Pigpen   Is there systemic issues within policing strategie...   Jun 1 2020, 02:39 AM
Trouble   Is there systemic issues within policing strategie...   Jun 2 2020, 02:05 AM
Trouble   Update, I had hoped to convey that police interact...   Jun 4 2020, 05:20 AM
droop224   Update, I had hoped to convey that police interact...   Jun 6 2020, 01:43 AM
Mrs. Pigpen   [b]Mrs P I think quite the opposite. I think t...   Jun 14 2020, 01:48 PM
droop224   See that's a poor way to start a post, IMO. ...   Jun 17 2020, 03:15 AM
Mrs. Pigpen   Droop, If you don't even understand why we sho...   Jun 17 2020, 02:03 PM
droop224   Droop, If you don't even understand why we sho...   Jun 17 2020, 08:25 PM
droop224   I ask is it really a few bad apples? What's t...   Jun 24 2020, 03:40 AM
Mrs. Pigpen   I'm not under the impression there is not a sy...   Jun 24 2020, 02:20 PM
droop224   And yes the police unions are a problem because th...   Jun 25 2020, 12:44 AM
moif   Questions for debate. Are there systemic issues w...   Jun 25 2020, 07:47 AM
Syfir   Is there systemic issues within policing strategie...   Jul 1 2020, 08:04 AM
Mrs. Pigpen   How many pictures have we seen in the last few wee...   Jul 1 2020, 03:19 PM
Looms   As the media age we live in continues to grow, ima...   Jul 4 2020, 09:45 AM
droop224   Looms Well it seems nothing will get you closer t...   Oct 22 2020, 01:22 PM
Eeyore   Is there systemic issues within policing strategie...   Dec 6 2020, 05:12 PM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Go to the top of the page - Simple Version Time is now: December 2nd, 2021 - 04:14 PM
©2002-2010 America's Debate, Inc.  All rights reserved.