logo 
spacer

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

If you have an opinion, you should share it! Register Now!

America's Debate hosts the best in news, government, and political debate. Register now to take part in the most civil and constructive debate on the Internet. Join the community, and get ready to be challenged!

Click here to start

> Sponsored Links

Register to remove these ads!
> The Death of Feminism
WinePusher
post Jul 10 2013, 02:10 PM
Post #1

Century Mark

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,253

Politics: Conservative
Party affiliation: Republican

So I think it's pretty common knowledge that the feminist movement has been dying out over the past decade. (Source) According to the source only 20% of American identify themselves as feminists. Personally, I have a hard time understanding exactly what feminism is. It seems to me to be an abstract term with several different connotations. Do feminists only want equality between men and women, or are they on a crusade to change American society to something other than what they perceive it to be (a patriarchy).

Questions:

Why is feminism declining?

Is feminism a tenable position?

Are you a feminist?

Other than the usual equal pay for equal work stuff, are there any other gender injustices that are penetrating American society?

Why do feminists, as a collective group, tend to associate with other groups on the left such as the anti war crowd? Some of the greatest gender oppression and injustices occur in the Middle East, yet the left (including many feminists) would gladly leave the Middle East altogether. This seems ideologically inconsistent.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 1)
AuthorMusician
post Jul 10 2013, 03:26 PM
Post #2

Glasses and journalism work for me.

Sponsor
November 2003

Group: Sponsors
Member No.: 297

Politics: Liberal
Party affiliation: Democrat

Why is feminism declining?

When something becomes mainstream, it isn't dying but being embraced by the country. As you might have noticed, the article had this to say:

Only one-fifth of Americans identify as feminists, according to a new HuffPost/YouGov poll. But the vast majority fit the basic definition of the word.

That would be:

But asked if they believe that "men and women should be social, political, and economic equals," 82 percent of the survey respondents said they did, and just 9 percent said they did not. Equal percentages of men and women said they agreed with that statement, along with 87 percent of Democrats, 81 percent of independents and 76 percent of Republicans.

So if the majority of the nation believes that women are the equals of men in all but the most obvious ways (women can give birth but men cannot), then the feminists have actually become your neighbors. Nobody calls themselves suffragettes any longer, and that's because the struggle for the vote was fought and won. Same deal with feminism.

Is feminism a tenable position?

Yep, and it is the position on the subject these days. Only a small minority believes that women are second-class citizens who belong in the home barefoot and pregnant, or that they should always do what their men tell them to do.

Are you a feminist?

I'm a Democrat who believes that all people are equal under the law. In the 1970s and 80s, I sympathized with feminists but had an unpopular opinion that once women gained equal footing as men in the workplace, they wouldn't like it. Sure enough, women now have the same diseases brought on by being overly stressed, just as men. However, the rewards seem great enough to put up with the negatives. I was only half right.

Other than the usual equal pay for equal work stuff, are there any other gender injustices that are penetrating American society?

The greatest one is the current drive to restrict abortion rights. Pay disparity is pretty rough to prove in non-unionized work environments, since nobody is supposed to know what anyone else makes in them. It's one of the tricks of the exploitation and unfair rewards game. It may also be why more people are freelancing these days rather than putting up with the corporate bull, although I see it more as corporate failure to keep people gainfully employed.

Why do feminists, as a collective group, tend to associate with other groups on the left such as the anti war crowd? Some of the greatest gender oppression and injustices occur in the Middle East, yet the left (including many feminists) would gladly leave the Middle East altogether. This seems ideologically inconsistent.

We're in the ME for women's equality? First time I've seen that one. I thought we were there to get OBL and Saddam, and incidentally, to fight terrorism before it comes here (again). Now we are extracting ourselves from the longest war in US history. However, I do think that women's rights organizations here sympathize with the plight of women in the ME and all across the globe. On the other hand, politicians and the military have other concerns, such as the military and its terrible record of abuse toward female members.

It's enough work to keep things equal here let alone in the entire world. Regarding anti-war sentiments, would you like to carry a child for nine months and raise the kid to adulthood only to see your child sacrificed for some dubious political agenda? Or come home maimed or screwed up in the head, or both? I don't see it as feminists identifying with the left as the left identifying with feminists.

It's the Democratic Party's platform that supports women's rights, and so women tend to support Democrats. I don't know if I'd still support Democrats if the party suddenly made a hard right turn into Biblical law. Probably not, but it seems as unlikely as a summer thunderboomer raining down legal Benjamins just on our place.

There still are issues regarding equality, such as women serving in combat units. Some men still believe that women are somehow less human, creatures put on earth to serve and honor men, and of course to obey men all the time, and by God's word, by god. That attitude seems to be literally dying out.

I'm pretty sure that's because these men are finding it harder to reproduce.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Go to the top of the page - Simple Version Time is now: September 19th, 2018 - 06:45 AM
©2002-2010 America's Debate, Inc.  All rights reserved.