logo 
spacer

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

If you have an opinion, you should share it! Register Now!

America's Debate hosts the best in news, government, and political debate. Register now to take part in the most civil and constructive debate on the Internet. Join the community, and get ready to be challenged!

Click here to start

> Sponsored Links

Register to remove these ads!
> Comparing USA to parliamentary governments.
Supposn
post May 2 2019, 03:29 AM
Post #1

Century Mark

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,766

Politics: Undisclosed
Party affiliation: Undisclosed

Comparing USA to parliamentary governments.

Leaders of USA's two legislative chambers are the Speaker of the House, Nancy Pelosi, and the majority leader of the Senate, Mitch McConnell. I suppose they each can refrain, if not effectively prevent a question from coming to a vote on the floor of their respective chambers.
Does a prime minister or anyone else have such similar power in parliament?

Respectfully, Supposn
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 1)
AuthorMusician
post May 5 2019, 07:28 PM
Post #2

Glasses and journalism work for me.

Sponsor
November 2003

Group: Sponsors
Member No.: 297

Politics: Liberal
Party affiliation: Democrat

Does a prime minister or anyone else have such similar power in parliament?

This is a good question on both sides of it. How much power do the various politicians in our system have, and how does this compare to other similar systems in the world?

About the only part that I am fairly sure about is that our POTUS has more power than the British Prime Minister in reality if not theory. Right now, the POTUS can start a war and assign troops to parts of the world without Congress giving its permission. That's not the way it's supposed to be, according to the Constitution, but there it is anyway.

It is true that bringing up a question is a lot different than sponsoring a bill, which is far more formal and detailed. I'm pretty sure that questions are posed regularly in an informal manner, especially in committees. This is exactly why they exist, keeping the really messy parts of law-making somewhat sequestered. By the time a bill leaves committee, it's pretty much cooked. Then each member of whatever house of Congress gets to add special sauce.

That's when pork gets added or unrelated issues get tacked on. Some of it happens in committee too fairly often.

So government isn't very simple, never has been even when humans were all in tribal situations and figuring out how to use rocks. We're an intelligent species, which means we are very good at the deception of others and our selves. On top of this, we know how to write and have nuclear weapons.

Anyway, the study of government is far more complex than pretty much all people realize, including myself. But I do know enough to know when I'm looking at something too complex to summarize in a debate post. This takes books, and a lot of them.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Go to the top of the page - Simple Version Time is now: May 23rd, 2019 - 03:57 AM
©2002-2010 America's Debate, Inc.  All rights reserved.