logo 
spacer

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

If you have an opinion, you should share it! Register Now!

America's Debate hosts the best in news, government, and political debate. Register now to take part in the most civil and constructive debate on the Internet. Join the community, and get ready to be challenged!

Click here to start

> Sponsored Links

Register to remove these ads!

> Welcome to the America's Debate Archive!

Topics that have had no new replies in the last 180 days are moved to the archive.

New replies are not accepted once a topic is moved to the archive, and new topics cannot be started in the archive.

> With the swing votes come the swing states!, Appealing to the Moderates
psyclist
post Aug 29 2005, 01:49 AM
Post #1

Senior Contributor

Sponsor
September 2005

Group: Sponsors
Member No.: 4,200

Politics: Liberal
Party affiliation: Democrat

While hardly scientific, the thread here seems to point that most declared independents lean to voting Democrat (If you take out libertarian obviously thumbsup.gif ). Getting the Moderate vote could be important in the all important swing states and in the South:

In 1996, the ideological profile of southern voters was: 44% moderate, 39% conservative, 17% liberal. In 2004, it was 43% moderate, 40% conservative, 17% liberal. Not a big difference at all.

Clinton lost southern conservatives in 1996 by 55 points, while Kerry lost them by 73. And Clinton won the plurality group of southern moderates by 20 points, while Kerry won them by 4.

Read more here.

Do you think Democrats failed to capitalize on the Moderates/Centrists/Independents in 2004? Why?

How can we capitalize on this trend in 2006 and 2008?

What major issues should the Democratic party focus on revising on in order to bring the Moderates or Centrists to vote Democrat?

This post has been edited by psyclist: Aug 29 2005, 01:50 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 2)
psyclist
post Aug 29 2005, 11:19 PM
Post #2

Senior Contributor

Sponsor
September 2005

Group: Sponsors
Member No.: 4,200

Politics: Liberal

Do you think Democrats failed to capitalize on the Moderates/Centrists/Independents in 2004? Why?

My guess is that we lost the Moderates, especially those in the Southern states due to our position on the War on Terror. While I still believe Kerry could've done a better job on the war on terror, I don't think he did a good enough job marketing his plan and how he'd do things different. If he could've proven that things would be done better, cheaper, and safer, I think it would've swung some moderates over.

I think Bush is doing it for us tongue.gif Let's just hope we can stay organized enough to take advantage of it.

What major issues should the Democratic party focus on revising on in order to bring the Moderates or Centrists to vote Democrat? While I don't have any data to back this up, I think if Democrates weren't afraid of expressing their faith and dropping the God word and if we came up with a plan that would reduce abortions (such as making it easier to give up a child for adoption and making it easier to adopt a child) without actually outlawing it I think we would bring over a lot of people. I've talked to plenty of people who just can't bring themselves to vote Democrat due to the "abortion thing."

+Quote Post
Lever
post Sep 4 2005, 03:46 AM
Post #3

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,426

Politics: Moderate

While I think we failed to capitalize on Moderates/Centrists/Independents I don't think it was as big an issue in losing the election as having not connected with the religious members of the country. The platform of the Republicans was catered to the religious segment and we failed to make any inroads into this large voting block.

We must connect with all four groups to be successful in 2006 and 2008. We can no longer afford to be seen as the pro-abortion anti religion party. While this is not even close to being an accurate description of the Democrats, it is the perception of many outside the party.

What major issues should the Democratic party focus on revising on in order to bring the Moderates or Centrists to vote Democrat?

We need to back off on gun control, tread very lightly on abortion and begin forming relationships with the many different religions in this country. My belief is that if we are ever to carry the south we must find issues where we can find common ground with the very strong politically active bible belt.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Go to the top of the page - Simple Version Time is now: January 18th, 2020 - 09:35 AM
©2002-2010 America's Debate, Inc.  All rights reserved.