logo 
spacer

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

If you have an opinion, you should share it! Register Now!

America's Debate hosts the best in news, government, and political debate. Register now to take part in the most civil and constructive debate on the Internet. Join the community, and get ready to be challenged!

Click here to start

> Sponsored Links

Register to remove these ads!

> Welcome to the America's Debate Archive!

Topics that have had no new replies in the last 180 days are moved to the archive.

New replies are not accepted once a topic is moved to the archive, and new topics cannot be started in the archive.

> Iraq war veteran democratic candidates, A force or a farce?
nebraska29
post Jan 23 2006, 03:36 AM
Post #1

Only siths speak in absolutes.

Sponsor
November 2005

Group: Sponsors
Member No.: 1,871

Politics: Very Liberal
Party affiliation: Democrat

An interesting phenomenon has emerged as of late. With recent Iraq war veterans returning and entering the political fray, some unexpected trends are emerging. For one, many of them are running as democrats, something unheard of in the past. Not only that, but while many of them have different views as how to best handle Iraq, they are not afraid to voice their displeasure with teh present administration and how the war is occuring. In Pennsylvania, Chris Carney is running for a house seat. These democrats are also not afraid to mix it up regarding war and their own records. Witness Carney's response to criticism of Murtha's war record.

Questioning the honor of a decorated American veteran like Congressman Murtha shows a lack of respect for the sacrifices made by all those who serve.

It is easy for cowards to attack the honorable service of veterans. All they need is a typewriter and a few leisurely hours. But, happily, the shrill attacks of partisan hacks are nothing to people like Jack Murtha.

It is not easy to toe the line, defending the American freedom for which so many have given what Lincoln called “the last full measure of devotion.”

I condemn anyone or any group that challenges the sacred honor and sacrifice of my fellow veterans, whether they are Republican or Democrat, man or woman. The people of my district know that the sacrifice of our men and women in uniform is sacred.

Paul Hackett is also in the mix, after a near miss for the house. Patrick Murphy is yet another candidate of impeccable credentials.

Questions to debate:

1.)Is the trend of war veterans to democratic candidates a fluke or a trend? Why or why not?

2.)How will the GOP counter these freshly minted veterans when many GOP incumbents lack military service?

3.)Other than the war, what possible ways can they change the party through the years should they get elected and earn their way up the leadership ranks in the House and Senate?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 1)
AuthorMusician
post Jan 23 2006, 04:25 PM
Post #2

Glasses and journalism work for me.

Sponsor
November 2003

Group: Sponsors
Member No.: 297

Politics: Liberal
Party affiliation: Democrat

1.)Is the trend of war veterans to democratic candidates a fluke or a trend? Why or why not?

The Demo party has been attracting war veterans since Vietnam, so this isn't a fluke, nor can a trend be so old. It has become part of the party's nature.

2.)How will the GOP counter these freshly minted veterans when many GOP incumbents lack military service?

If history is any indicator, groups outside the GOP but sympathetic to Republicans will run smear campaigns on the Demo candidates. Hey, just because so-and-so served our country and risked life/limb on the battle field, won a chest full of medals, doesn't mean he or she can govern! Just look at the record. Well, look at our records anyway.

3.)Other than the war, what possible ways can they change the party through the years should they get elected and earn their way up the leadership ranks in the House and Senate?

Too many possibilities to consider, so I don't have an opinion on this. What I'd like to see is more guts in the party, and I do see this happening since the 2000 elections. War veterans might contribute more to this than non-vets, but I doubt there's a correlation. The driving force is what is actually happening, such as poor governing and the returns on poor policies.

For example, with the West Virginia coal mine accidents, a Demo governor has found some backbone to face up to the coal mining industry. Other Demos have spoken out about the Iraq war, Katrina and so on. Some are vets, some are not.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Go to the top of the page - Simple Version Time is now: August 11th, 2020 - 07:17 AM
©2002-2010 America's Debate, Inc.  All rights reserved.