logo 
spacer

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

If you have an opinion, you should share it! Register Now!

America's Debate hosts the best in news, government, and political debate. Register now to take part in the most civil and constructive debate on the Internet. Join the community, and get ready to be challenged!

Click here to start

> Sponsored Links

Register to remove these ads!
> Where I live, Some interesting facts.
Alan Wood
post Nov 21 2002, 02:42 AM
Post #1

The Wonderful Wizard of Oz

Group: Members
Member No.: 95

Politics: Independent
Party affiliation: Other

I live in a suberb of Perth, Western Australia called Kelmscott.
Kelmscott is 24kms south of Perth city.

Perth lies on the south west coast about 3kms inland on the river Swan.

Western Australia is 2,500kms, app, north to south and 1,700kms, app, east to west.
It has a population of around 1.6million of which 1.2million live in and around Perth.
The population of Australia is about 20million.

Our nearest capital city is Adelaide, the capital of South Australia which is 2,250kms away.
Perth is arguably the most isolated capital city on earth.

WA is about one third of the Australian continent and is rich in ore, minerals,grain and livestock all of which are also exported.

The weather is normally hot and dry during the summer months (over Xmas) and temps can go as high as 43DegC for days on end.
During the winter months it rains heavily but temps always stay above freezing.
Water is our most precious resource.

I hope this gives some Idea of WA.

Regards..........Alan
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Jaime
post Nov 21 2002, 03:30 AM
Post #2

Group Icon

Elite Senior Contributor

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4

Party affiliation: None

For you Americans having trouble with the metric conversions: Conversion Calculators

And I thought it got hot in Savannah!

What is climate like, Alan? Is it more on the wet or dry side? What kind of wildlife do you have (and how big are the bugs)? Are the stars bright at night? Do you drive on the left or right side of the road? I could go on like this forever...

Thanks for sharing, Alan smile.gif

+Quote Post
Wertz
post Nov 21 2002, 04:04 AM
Post #3

Group Icon

Advanced Senior

Sponsor
January 2003

Group: Committee Members
Member No.: 181

Politics: Liberal

Thanks for that, Alan. I've known a number of people from Australia (mostly from living in Ireland) and had some idea of the vastness - and relatively sparse population - of the country, but had no idea that the distances were that great.

Speaking of geography, while I currently reside in Florida of all places, I did spend eighteen years living in Ireland (mostly Dublin), if anyone - Jaime? - has any questions about a slightly closer global neighbor. Damn - I've even got used to writing "neighbor" again rather than "neighbour". I've been back here longer than I'd realised (or realized, even).

wink2.gif

+Quote Post
Mike
post Nov 21 2002, 07:42 AM
Post #4

Group Icon

***I AM NOT A LIBERTARIAN***

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Politics: Conservative
Party affiliation: Independent

QUOTE(Alan Wood @ Nov 20 2002, 09:42 PM)
I live in a suberb of Perth, Western Australia ........Water is our most precious resource.

And I have already confirmed that the water in the toilet, upon flushing, does in fact swirly in a counter-clockwise direction. There is no need to place a collect call to Alan! tongue.gif

Mike

question.gif Have no idea what I am talking about? That's ok. It's a joke from the Simpsons. You should really start watching them. dry.gif

+Quote Post
Cyan
post Nov 21 2002, 07:50 AM
Post #5

Group Icon

Girl Anachronism

Sponsor
April 2003

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 138

Party affiliation: Democrat

QUOTE(Mike @ Nov 21 2002, 12:42 AM)
QUOTE(Alan Wood @ Nov 20 2002, 09:42 PM)
I live in a suberb of Perth, Western Australia ........Water is our most precious resource.

And I have already confirmed that the water in the toilet, upon flushing, does in fact swirly in a counter-clockwise direction. There is no need to place a collect call to Alan! tongue.gif

Mike

question.gif Have no idea what I am talking about? That's ok. It's a joke from the Simpsons. You should really start watching them. dry.gif

biggrin.gif Alan, I want to come to Australia just to watch the toilet flush. tongue.gif

This is a great new forum, by the way...

+Quote Post
Madtown
post Nov 21 2002, 08:13 AM
Post #6

Five Hundred Club

Sponsor
February 2003

Group: Sponsors
Member No.: 61

Politics: Undisclosed
Party affiliation: Undisclosed

I would come with you, but I'm introverted excl.gif HAHAHAHAHA laugh.gif tongue.gif wink2.gif

Madtown

+Quote Post
Alan Wood
post Nov 21 2002, 09:05 AM
Post #7

I hope I can answer a few questions.

First to MT..........nahh, your not introverted just a selective memory biggrin.gif biggrin.gif .

Cyan.
Feel free to come........We have 2 toilets, 3 washbasins and a shower. You should be able to verify it.

Wertz.
Yup.....its a long way around the joint.
We have a doctor service called 'The Royal Flying Doctors' based in Perth that fly all over to the isolated homesteads in WA dealing with emergencies and health care.
Its the only way to get to the outback.

You think you have forgotten 'Proper English".
The 'true blue' Aussies hang, draw and quarter it........ie...
G'Day.....hello.
Onya....well done.
Cardie...wooly jumper.
Owyagoing?........how are you.
Its like a foreign language...

Jaime.

Mostly the summer temps are around 30-35degC.
Because of our huge coastline and beautiful beaches that are practically empty because of the small population, its then time to troll off to the beach and have a swim.

NOW THE BAD BITS!!!!!
Australia is home to some of the most venemous creatures on the planet.
The box Jellyfish is in the 'Guinness Book of Records' as being the most poisoness creature in the World.........we dont get them in WA but plenty up north.

Redback Spiders.......I think you call them 'Black Widows?'.
We get them around the house now and then but having the place sprayed once a year keeps them away.

Poisoness Snakes.......just about all 8 species are poisoness.
Again we dont get many in the Metro area but out in the bush you may see them.

White Pointer Sharks.....We very occasionally see them.

I think thats enough.
Feel free to pop over any time and we can sit under the patio, have a barbie and a few beers and a natter.

Regards.........Alan

+Quote Post
jjirout
post Nov 21 2002, 01:25 PM
Post #8

Century Mark

Sponsor
February 2003

Member No.: 46

I heard an American from New Jersey say that he never met anyone as rude as the couple of Aussies he knows. (Now, New Jersey people are not ones to criticize others for being rude and in this part of NJ, "manners are best kept in the South", they say.)

"In comparison to the Spanish, the Chinese, and the eastern europeans, the Aussies were unbelievably rude." he said.

"Really?" I asked.

"Unbelievably." he said and - his eyes rolling around wildly.

Is there something in the Aussie culture that lends itself to... brashness?

jjirout

+Quote Post
Wertz
post Nov 21 2002, 06:17 PM
Post #9

Group Icon

Advanced Senior

Sponsor
January 2003

QUOTE(jjirout @ Nov 21 2002, 09:25 AM)

They're all descended from transported criminals. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Cyan
post Nov 21 2002, 09:52 PM
Post #10

Group Icon

Girl Anachronism

Sponsor
April 2003

So what exactly is vegemite? What is it made of? When do you eat it? What does it taste like? etc. I'm just curious, because that's one of the items that Americans always associate with Australia.

Also, I once had a candy bar called a Violet Crumble, which was brought to me by a friend from New Zealand. It was chocolate-covered honeycomb, and it was one of the most interesting, yummy candy bars I had ever eaten. Are these common in Australia, as well?

Do Australians become annoyed by being compared with New Zealanders and vice versa?

+Quote Post
jjirout
post Nov 21 2002, 09:57 PM
Post #11

Century Mark

Sponsor
February 2003

QUOTE(Wertz @ Nov 21 2002, 01:17 PM)
They're all descended from transported criminals.  biggrin.gif

Yes, but I should add that, according to Alan, fifty percent of Aussies transported themselves to Australia.

However, there is the other fifty percent to consider ...

jjirout

+Quote Post
Alan Wood
post Nov 21 2002, 10:02 PM
Post #12

QUOTE(Wertz @ Nov 21 2002, 01:17 PM)
QUOTE(jjirout @ Nov 21 2002, 09:25 AM)

They're all descended from transported criminals. biggrin.gif

Not all Aussies were decended from criminals. Some were decended from the jailers biggrin.gif biggrin.gif .

Like all cultures there are the good and the bad but the subtle art of tact is certainly not an Aussie strong point.
There is a tendancy to 'call a spade a spade'.

Jaime.
Forgot to answer regarding stars and roads.............
WA is not heavily industrialised so there is very little pollution.During the summer the stars are very bright.
We drive on the L/H side of the road.

Regards.....Alan

+Quote Post
Alan Wood
post Nov 21 2002, 10:33 PM
Post #13

QUOTE(cyan @ Nov 21 2002, 04:52 PM)
So what exactly is vegemite? What is it made of? When do you eat it? What does it taste like? etc. I'm just curious, because that's one of the items that Americans always associate with Australia.

Also, I once had a candy bar called a Violet Crumble, which was brought to me by a friend from New Zealand. It was chocolate-covered honeycomb, and it was one of the most interesting, yummy candy bars I had ever eaten. Are these common in Australia, as well?

Do Australians become annoyed by being compared with New Zealanders and vice versa?

Ahhhh........Vegemite rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif .
Its a vegetable and yeast extract, dark brown with the consistancy of soft butter.
Its difficult to describe the taste but here goes.......A little salty with the taste of concentrated beef and spread thin on toast.

'Violet Crumble'.
Yup...very popular here. It can also be bought in loose chunks called 'Rocky Road'.

The Kiwis and OZ have always had some rivalry between them especially concerning sport.
The Aussie derogatory name for New Zealand is 'Aussie South Island' which stirs them up a bit.
The Kiwi accent is a little different to OZ. They tend to flatten their 'I' like this........
Fridge sounds like frudge.
Fish and Chips sounds like Fush and Chups.. etc.

Regards.........Alan

+Quote Post
Wertz
post Nov 21 2002, 11:39 PM
Post #14

Group Icon

Advanced Senior

Sponsor
January 2003

I've had the dubious privilege of tasting Vegemite myself. It's very similar to Marmite, if you've ever had the pleasure...

Do Yanks use "fridge"? I don't recall coming across the term prior to my move to Ireland. If not, it's an Anglo-Irish-Aussie abbreviation for refrigerator - even if pronounced by a New Zealander.

+Quote Post
Cyan
post Nov 22 2002, 12:54 AM
Post #15

Group Icon

Girl Anachronism

Sponsor
April 2003

Ahhhh........Vegemite rolleyes.gif  :rolleyes: .
Its a vegetable and yeast extract, dark brown with the consistancy of soft butter.
Its difficult to describe the taste but here goes.......A little salty with the taste of concentrated beef and spread thin on toast.

Am I to take it by your roll eyes that you either a.)don't like Vegemite or b.)you get tired of Americans asking you what it is? blush.gif

It's interesting. In America, we also have a popular ice-cream called Rocky Road. It has chocolate, marshmallows, and I think some kind of nut in it, but I can't remember which one, because I'm not fond of it. The crumbled honey-comb sounds rather good, though. Is there any other food that you would say defines Australia?

Wertz, I have not tasted Marmite. I think I'm going to have to track some of this food down, so that I can educate my taste buds...usually a very enjoyable experience. wink2.gif

So what about Dublin? Any points of interest that we should know about?

+Quote Post
jjirout
post Nov 22 2002, 05:56 PM
Post #16

Century Mark

Sponsor
February 2003

I'd like to know more about this 50 percent of Australians who descended from criminals and/or the jailers in charge of the criminals...

When a prisoner was a prisoner was he/she allowed to have relations with members of the opposite sex? Was a prisoner's life restrictive? Were there significantly less women than men in the country? At what point did the country throw off its shackles?

Do Australians today keep records of their lineage? What was a typical crime that resulted in being transplanted?

Ultimately, how do these past events resurface today in Australian culture?

If possible, replies to any of the above questions would be welcomed.

jjirout

+Quote Post
Nettie
post Nov 23 2002, 06:22 PM
Post #17

Contributor

Group: BANNED
Member No.: 66

I have visited your vast country 3 x. Once it was a non-stop flight from CA. At that time it was the longest commercial non-stop flight in the world! I thought we were on that plane for days and we were in was first class. No we can't afford that... mileage redemption...(another forum?)
It was enjoyable. The opera in Sydney is fabulous. We saw a couple of good ones. The people.and the beer were pretty fun. Frankly, I found the people a lot like Americans. Some of them liked giving us a hard time, but in a friendly way.
We enjoyed visiting the wine country a lot. The first time we were there was in your Spring, the second the summer, third in Winter. I will testify to the heat!
I rememberbeing warned about the brown recluse spider ? The Rocks were interesting, but I'm sure like all historical places it has become touristy over the years. Non the less, it is always fun to see places where history was made.
It would be fun to visit again, but it is just tooooooooo far.

+Quote Post
Alan Wood
post Nov 24 2002, 02:07 AM
Post #18

QUOTE(jjirout @ Nov 22 2002, 12:56 PM)
I'd like to know more about this 50 percent of Australians who descended from criminals and/or the jailers in charge of the criminals...

When a prisoner was a prisoner was he/she allowed to have relations with members of the opposite sex?  Was a prisoner's life restrictive?  Were there significantly less women than men in the country?  At what point did the country throw off its shackles?

Do Australians today keep records of their lineage?  What was a typical crime that resulted in being transplanted?  

Ultimately, how do these past events resurface today in Australian culture?

If possible, replies to any of the above questions would be welcomed.

jjirout

jjirout.

I suspect somewhat less than 50% of the population these days are 3 to 5th generation Aussies. The actual figure I cant find nor can I find the proportions of women to men..........sorry.

Maybe this short site may help?.

http://history1900s.about.com/gi/dynamic/o...org/history.htm

When we talk of prisoners a great many of them worked for the early settlers that came over with them and the best of them were granted freedom and land.
They were also employed by the colony Governers erecting buildings, clearing land etc in exchange for board and lodgings.
The worst of them, murderers and the like were kept in goal.

It is worth remembering that in England at the time the goals were overcrowded and many prisoners were held on old 'hulks' ( old wooden ships ) moored on the Thames river. Many of them imprisoned for something as little as stealing a loaf of bread or not paying debts.

During the early times of transportation from England at least as many settlers as criminals came here with the promise of land of their own.
Settling increased as the colonies became established.

The early settlers had it hard.
The land was dry, hot and barren and whatever food existed was hard to find.
On the trip from England, which often took well over 6months, the cattle, chickens and plants supplied by the Government were more important than the lives of the settlers and were given the precious water and food first.
Many settlers and prisoners died during the voyage.

England continued supplying commodities to the settlements for many years but the long dangerous voyage, and the losses of ships during it, found many of the original settlers, and convicts, had passed away.
It is worth bearing in mind that communications during that time depended on dispatches recieved mostly from sailing ships returning from Australia and could take often over a year to get back to England.

However enough of the colonies survived.

Regarding lineage.
The Aussies are only just becoming aware of how precious their lineage is.
For instance.........
My wife is a only a 4th generation Aussie.
Her great Grandmother and Father had no house to live in.
They drove two horse drawn wagons full of supplies to the outback settlements taking months to get there and lived in 'humpys' (crude tents).
Her g. Grandad was from England and g. Grandma from Scotland met and married in OZ in the mid 1800's.
We traced it back this far.

How about telling me about where you live?.
I would enjoy that.

Regards.......Alan

+Quote Post
Alan Wood
post Nov 24 2002, 02:20 AM
Post #19

QUOTE(Nettie @ Nov 23 2002, 01:22 PM)
I have visited your vast country 3 x.  Once it was a non-stop flight from CA. At that time it was the longest commercial non-stop flight in the world! I thought we were on that plane for days and we were in was first class. No we can't afford that... mileage redemption...(another forum?)
It was enjoyable. The opera in Sydney is fabulous. We saw a couple of good ones. The  people.and the beer were pretty fun. Frankly, I found the people a lot like Americans. Some of them liked giving us a hard time, but in a friendly way.
We enjoyed visiting the wine country a lot. The first time we were there was in your Spring, the second the summer, third in Winter. I will testify to the heat!
I rememberbeing  warned about the brown recluse spider ? The Rocks were interesting, but I'm sure like all historical places it has become touristy over the years. Non the less, it is always fun to see places where history was made.
It would be fun to visit again, but it is just tooooooooo far.

Nettie.

You went over east by the sound of it.

Horrible place biggrin.gif biggrin.gif .
Full of humidity and bad beer rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif .

Come to WA next time.........better beer, better wine and better climate.

Careto you...Alan

+Quote Post
Nettie
post Nov 24 2002, 03:15 AM
Post #20

Contributor

Group: BANNED
Member No.: 66

Actually Alan we did get to Perth. We spent quite a bit of time visiting your vast country. It is too far to travel and not to stay a while

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Go to the top of the page - Simple Version Time is now: February 23rd, 2018 - 10:29 AM
©2002-2010 America's Debate, Inc.  All rights reserved.