logo 
spacer

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

If you have an opinion, you should share it! Register Now!

America's Debate hosts the best in news, government, and political debate. Register now to take part in the most civil and constructive debate on the Internet. Join the community, and get ready to be challenged!

Click here to start

> Sponsored Links

Register to remove these ads!

> Welcome to the America's Debate Archive!

Topics that have had no new replies in the last 180 days are moved to the archive.

New replies are not accepted once a topic is moved to the archive, and new topics cannot be started in the archive.

> Contract with America, Could it work again?
Rancid Uncle
post Jun 24 2005, 06:55 AM
Post #1

Five Hundred Club

Group: Members
Member No.: 270

Politics: Liberal
Party affiliation: Democrat

Many people have complained that they don't know what democrats stand for. The post-Cold war Republicans of the early nineties had a similar problem. In the 1994 mid-term election the republicans created the "Contract with America" which outlined a conservative legislative agenda. The 1994 election turned out to be a milestone for conservatives and they won a majority in the house. Twelve years later I wonder if Democrats can't do the same thing and outline a plan for America that people will identify with the democrats running for office in 2006. So,

Should the Democrats create their own "Contract with America" for 2006?

If so, What legislative proposals should it include?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 3)
Salerio
post Jun 24 2005, 04:56 PM
Post #2

Group: New Members
Member No.: 4,640

They should probably come up with a new name for it; one that will better reflect the times. Something like: The "You're governed by
EDITED TO REMOVE CRUDE, UNCONSTRUCTIVE COMMENT
" pact with the people, but yes, they need to do that before the election, but not now. People will get very tired of hearing it. They should wait until the 24 hour news cycle spools up for the elections and then announce that they have an agenda that is as it has been:
Balanced budget
Fair taxation
Sensible & considerate foreign policy
Help the poor, the hungry, and the less fortunate
Get us out of Iraq by making it a stable country
Actually fix Soc. Sec.
Actually protect freedoms and liberties
Fight rampant corruption

And the list could go on forever, but the DNC will do it. I have faith in Dean, and I have faith in the smart men we have elected. 'Course I'm from Missourah and we just got plumbin' her so I could be completely wrong. hmmm.gif

This post has been edited by Jaime: Jun 24 2005, 05:00 PM

+Quote Post
Rancid Uncle
post Jun 24 2005, 11:07 PM
Post #3

Five Hundred Club

Member No.: 270

QUOTE(Salerio @ Jun 24 2005, 09:56 AM)

They should wait until the 24 hour news cycle spools up for the elections and then announce that they have an agenda that is as it has been:
Balanced budget
Fair taxation
Sensible & considerate foreign policy
Help the poor, the hungry, and the less fortunate
Get us out of Iraq by making it a stable country
Actually fix Soc. Sec.
Actually protect freedoms and liberties
Fight rampant corruption

My only problem with that list is how vague it is. It's great to say you're going to balance the budget but actually balancing the budget is a difficult and unpopular undertaking. It's great to say you're going to help the poor, but how will you do that while balancing the budget? Democrats need specifics on policy.

For example,

Drastically increasing PELL grants so college is an option for more people
Improve port and airport security
Work with other countries to improve the situation in Darfur

+Quote Post
A left Handed pe...
post Jun 25 2005, 09:15 PM
Post #4

Senior Contributor

Member No.: 4,459

Should the Democrats create their own "Contract with America" for 2006?

Its always easier to attack an establishment, then it is to suggest exactly how things can be done better. As a result, this contract for America can be risky. Remember back in 2004, that Bush started out with fairly low approval ratings, and climbed out of them by diverting attention from himself, to John Kerry. This contract could merely be another target, which could allow conservatives to once again climb out of low approval ratings. By posting an agenda which we are incapable of implementing, we will open ourselves up to uneccessary criticism.

On the otherhand, newer ideas have an advantage over older ones, in that they have yet to be tested. If Republicans stay in office people can obviously expect more the same, while if we get into office they can expect something different. Thus, if we can convince them, that different is significantly better, then they may rally to our cause. This will be difficult however, as it means will have to survive the brunt of a lot of Republican rhetoric.

If so, What legislative proposals should it include?

I wouldn't be a good person to say this, because i'm more left then most of our party. If it weren't for my conservative enviromental views, i'd have defined myself as "Very Liberal".

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Go to the top of the page - Simple Version Time is now: January 18th, 2020 - 08:40 AM
©2002-2010 America's Debate, Inc.  All rights reserved.