logo 
spacer

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

If you have an opinion, you should share it! Register Now!

America's Debate hosts the best in news, government, and political debate. Register now to take part in the most civil and constructive debate on the Internet. Join the community, and get ready to be challenged!

Click here to start

> Sponsored Links

Register to remove these ads!
> Why Would Romney Make A Good President?
Eeyore
post Nov 4 2012, 01:31 PM
Post #1

Group Icon

Thaaaaanks for noticin' me

Sponsor
February 2003

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 365

Politics: Liberal
Party affiliation: Democrat

One of the things I find myself consistently surprised at is how poorly presidential candidates do as presenting themselves and strong presidential timber. They seem to try to be what the wonks say America wants instead of being themselves and relying on what had brought them to the short list of people considered for the office of the presidency. Instead of radiating the self esteem that what got them to this point must clearly be the qualities and characteristics and policies that will take them the rest of the way, candidates act like our teenage selves, to timid to say I am me. They give into the teen equivalent of peer pressure, wanting to be what the crowd expects of the popular kids and constrained in their actions by why the pretty girl or boy of their dreams will think if they actually follow the beat of their own drummer.

The result is a sad thing to watch. The bright lights of a national campaign and the pressures of party policies and need for massive financial support create a climate in which candidates whither under the bright lights of national attention. Instead of rising to the moment and using the bigger stage to dazzle, they tend to look blinded and unprepared. The lights reveal warts instead of making candidates shine. They end up being managed by consultants instead of showing their true selves.

I think maybe only John F Kennedy and Ronald Reagan could shine in this way. Everybody else has been a disappointing mystery to me.

Gore in 2000 ran a campaign that tried to avoid the successes of the Clinton administration. What else should he have run on? Bob Dole in 1996 seemed like the angriest grandpa in America, but the night after the election he has one of the funniest and charming guests I had ever seen on a talk show. John McCain had carved a niche for himself as a bipartisan Congressman who could reach across the aisle to solve America's problems, and them he seemed to contradict everything America knew about him as the maverick-y politician who could pick Sarah Palin as his running mate. Obama in 2012 has not been able to run on what he is for very well and make a case about the merits of his first term. Only Bill Clinton has seemed to do that effectively for him.

I just read an article that helps me understand Romney the person and how he has been very successful. The article basically pines for the campaign that Romney didn't run, based on his personal successes.

Mitt Romney's Missed Opportunities

Romney’s candidacy would look much different today had he made this story its centerpiece. He could explain the benefit to the U.S. economy, and a shelf-full of scholarship would back him up. He could say that the last time the country was mired in recession, he’d seen what most others could not—and point to his career and fortune as proof.
He’d still be attacked for the jobs lost when factories shut down. But voters are more willing to show forbearance and grasp difficult truths than politicians give them credit for. Just look at Romney’s current campaign. Despite his best efforts to blame the recession on Obama, polls show that voters still apportion much of the blame to George W. Bush, as they should. Had Romney been forthright about how his skills could apply to the presidency, he might have convinced more people that he’d make a better president than the current one.

The great mystery about Romney is how such a talented executive could run such a listless campaign when so many things—from the weak economy to his own biography—favor him. People who knew Romney at Bain aren't nearly as surprised. Asked why he thought Romney had buried his greatest strength, one colleague who’s known and admired Romney for decades didn't hesitate: Having achieved extraordinary success by approaching the world through a set of precise, data-driven concepts, Romney had made the mistake of approaching politics the same way—maximizing data and minimizing risk.

This article tells of a person that I could see being a successful American president, yet his campaign seems to be a reprisal of the 1920s republican political platform. The stereotypes hurt Romney, yet he has not countered them effectively. He is the son of a millionaire who used his advantages in life to make many more millions. He used venture capitalism to make a fortune.

Yet this biography is a story of a wealthy person who despite his advantages was driven enough to become valedictorian at BYU. It is a story of a person who could have found comfortable seats in corporate executive suites, but had more of a vision of how to reshape American business. It is a story of how unlike Gordon Gecko, he was more of a Buffet value investor with a business model that bet on companies that had value but could be recast and made more profitable.

It is the story of a hard working anlayst who crunched numbers and numbers and analyzed them looking for efficiency. It is a story of a politician who was able to use that anlaytical experience of the medical industry and see into the future of American healthcare and set a model for healthcare reform. It is in short the story of a person who can see future trends and help move institutions to successfully adapt to them.

I didn't see that campain from Romney.

My questions for debate are:

Would or could Mitt Romney make a good president?

Based on his personal experience, why would he be a good president?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 6)
Hobbes
post Nov 4 2012, 09:15 PM
Post #2

Group Icon

No More Mr. Nice Guy!

Group: Committee Members
Member No.: 1,155

Politics: Conservative
Party affiliation: Independent

I think he would make a very good President. He has a track record of both getting things done, and working with the other side. He is also very analytical, and I think that would impact his positions more than politics or polls. Unfortunately, many of those characteristics can be negative in a campaign. What makes a good President is often quite different than what would make a good candidate. Obama is a very good example of this---an excellent campaigner who had little experience in getting things done, and it showed (he admits as much himself).

I think his experience speaks for itself--he has been successful at every thing he has done. I also think his pragmatism and moderate viewpoint would be well suited for the Presidency. Unfortunately, both of those have been viewed as negatives in this campaign, which is one reason he has run the campaign that he has.

I would add that he seems very well grounded, too---but then so does Obama.

+Quote Post
Curmudgeon
post Nov 5 2012, 02:07 AM
Post #3

I am an unpaid protester!

Sponsor
August 1, 2003

Group: Sponsors
Member No.: 729

Perhaps he might appear to be human if he could put on a smile, twist his mustache, and leer smoke.gif at Ann Romney as he said, "I love it when you speak French..."

The place to ask this question was likely in a Republicans only forum when he first started his run four or five years ago; not 59-1/2 hours before a national election for President... If he hasn't made the sale in that amount of time, how is he possibly going to persuade Congress to follow his lead as he puts his nose to the ground, sniffs everything on the trail, and asks why they don't have windows that open on airplanes...

"If you don't run Chris Christie, Romney will be the nominee and we'll lose," said Coulter, eliciting cheers from the crowd. ( link )

The story is dated 2/12/2011, so the Republicans can't exactly say that they weren't warned...

If the Republicans really want to spend their way to power, they should be able to buy out the contracts of a few noisemakers like Rush Limbaugh, Karl Rove, and Ann Coulter that are really damaging their brand. Better yet, put those names in nomination in the 2016 wring out the clowns Republican Primary Debates... Exposure to sunlight might destroy them more effectively than spending money.

I'm likely not the best person to answer that question because I don't see how he could be...

Perhaps, with his reputation as a flip-flopper, he could throw his hat into the ring as a Democrat in a couple of years, and challenge Hillary Clinton in the 2016 primaries. He will be able to point to his success in bringing Romneycare to Massachusetts, whereas Hillary was unable as the First Lady to implement a national health care plan. He should be able to convincingly point to the language that he thinks should be in the Constitution which outlines the responsibilities of a First Lady to implement her husband's plans on Day One.

Then he can say, "Ann, I want you to be prepared to create Heavens and an Earth on Inauguration Day. Find out how the plans in engineering are going to create a firmament on Day Two! Oh yes! Don't forget to tell the staff that Lemonade Lucy will be back in town, and let's tell the nation that next week we'll unveil our plans to bring back prohibitions..."

This post has been edited by Curmudgeon: Nov 5 2012, 02:08 AM

+Quote Post
JohnfrmCleveland
post Nov 5 2012, 03:04 AM
Post #4

Master Debater

Sponsor
September 2009

Member No.: 8,090

Politics: Very Liberal
Party affiliation: None

I think Mitt Romney might be the one person least able to understand what life is like for the average American.

I honestly cannot think of a single way that he and I might find some common ground. He's filthy rich, and I shop at Wal-Mart. I'm not religious, and he thinks Jesus had a summer home in upstate New York. I like wings and beer, and Mitt won't drink. Can anybody relate to a guy like that? If Mitt showed up at your door tomorrow, what would you do to entertain the guy? Watch Monday Night Football together? I'd bet Mitt could name the teams' owners before he could name the teams' quarterbacks.

People seem to put a lot of stock in the fact that Mitt is filthy rich, so he must have enough brains to run a country. Republicans put a lot of successful businessmen up for the job - Romney, Cain, Trump, Forbes, Dubya, etc. I may be a bit biased whistling.gif , but I'm just not seeing the connection between successful businessman and good presidential material. What I am seeing is a lot of silver spoon types. Nothing like starting out with a few of Daddy's millions to set a kid on the path to more millions, and eventually a spot in Republican politics.

+Quote Post
Dingo
post Nov 5 2012, 03:11 AM
Post #5

Elite Senior Contributor

Group: Members
Member No.: 225

Politics: Independent
Party affiliation: Private

Well he is capable of taking any position so one could always hope. The question is can you turn off Romnesia?

His being governor of Massachusetts would be the relevant experience. Other than Romneycare, which he has rejected, I'm not getting any positive feedback from that period and certainly the voters in Mass. don't seem to be grateful. As for other areas of his life, business and government are different responsibilities as is being a Priest of his church.

+Quote Post
Paladin Elspeth
post Nov 5 2012, 04:43 AM
Post #6

I want the 10th Doctor for President!

Sponsor
August 1, 2003

Member No.: 721

I guess anything is possible, but I'm hoping like nobody's business that it doesn't happen.

I don't know. He's about as flexible as Gumby® when it comes to changing his mind/position on things. Is it a vestige of his juvenile desire to please his dad George? Who knows? But someone who appears to want so badly to please everybody (in his party, anyway) doesn't seem to possess much integrity. Back when he was trying to out-progressive Ted Kennedy, he did seem to have some genuine compassion for the citizens of Massachusetts. Romneycare looked like it was the right and good thing to do. But he has turned his back on the idea of providing healthcare for everyone. I guess to his mind, some people aren't worth the trouble. Curious stance for a churchman, but it probably isn't unique in history by any means.

I don't trust a man who can't consistently hold a position throughout the primaries up to the election, so I have my doubts that he would be a good President, that is, unless keeping people guessing is a good trait.

This post has been edited by Paladin Elspeth: Nov 5 2012, 04:45 AM

+Quote Post
Eeyore
post Nov 5 2012, 11:51 AM
Post #7

Group Icon

Thaaaaanks for noticin' me

Sponsor
February 2003

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 365

I really timed this thread poorly. See I have already voted and I am out of campaign mode. I intended this to be less of a rally thread to get out the vote and more of a thread that assesses what characteristics and qualities and experiences that Romney has that make him capable of being an effective executive officer of the United States.

For me it was odd seeing the most persuasive case for him being capable of being a good president written by a journalist.

Sorry to not have waited until after the election for this thread.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Go to the top of the page - Simple Version Time is now: February 20th, 2018 - 01:34 PM
©2002-2010 America's Debate, Inc.  All rights reserved.