logo 
spacer

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

If you have an opinion, you should share it! Register Now!

America's Debate hosts the best in news, government, and political debate. Register now to take part in the most civil and constructive debate on the Internet. Join the community, and get ready to be challenged!

Click here to start

> Sponsored Links

Register to remove these ads!
> First Presidential Debate, What impact will it have?
Who do you think won the First Debate?
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 24
Guests cannot vote 
Amlord
post Oct 4 2012, 03:17 PM
Post #1

Group Icon

The Roaring Lion

Sponsor

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 572

Politics: Conservative
Party affiliation: Republican

Last night was the first of three Presidential Debates.

Mitt Romney vastly outperformed expectations while President Obama was criticized even by his most stalwart water carriers.

The consensus I got from watching the cable shows is that the pundits didn't think Obama had ever been challenged in the way that Romney did in questioning his record of achievement. This is usually why the challenger wins the first Presidential debate, so the conventional wisdom goes.

What moments from the debate were most memorable?

Will Romney see a bump?

How can Obama do things differently for the second debate?

This post has been edited by Amlord: Oct 4 2012, 09:03 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
5 Pages V  « < 3 4 5  
Start new topic
Replies (80 - 83)
Dingo
post Oct 12 2012, 11:15 PM
Post #81

Elite Senior Contributor

Group: Members
Member No.: 225

Politics: Independent
Party affiliation: Private

QUOTE(scubatim @ Oct 12 2012, 04:06 PM) *
QUOTE(Dingo @ Oct 12 2012, 05:30 PM) *
There are little lies and big lies. Romney goes for the biggies.

And you quote another partisan political hack. Why should I even begin to take anything Dickinson writes seriously?

Once again you show you have no interest in addressing substance. That seems to be a problem modern conservatives suffer from. Running from reality all the time must get fatiguing. tongue.gif

+Quote Post
scubatim
post Oct 12 2012, 11:22 PM
Post #82

Millennium Mark

Member No.: 8,004

Politics: Very Conservative
Party affiliation: Independent

QUOTE(Dingo @ Oct 12 2012, 06:15 PM) *
QUOTE(scubatim @ Oct 12 2012, 04:06 PM) *
QUOTE(Dingo @ Oct 12 2012, 05:30 PM) *
There are little lies and big lies. Romney goes for the biggies.

And you quote another partisan political hack. Why should I even begin to take anything Dickinson writes seriously?

Once again you show you have no interest in addressing substance. That seems to be a problem modern conservatives suffer from. Running from reality all the time must get fatiguing. tongue.gif

Your claim of my lack of substance is false as evidenced in multiple threads that you and I have gone head to head in. You can't even come up with a defense for citing such biased sources, you in turn attack me. Nice.

+Quote Post
Curmudgeon
post Oct 17 2012, 10:19 PM
Post #83

I am an unpaid protester!

Sponsor
August 1, 2003

Group: Sponsors
Member No.: 729

Politics: Liberal
Party affiliation: Democrat

QUOTE(Dingo @ Oct 6 2012, 04:56 AM) *
I'd like somebody to help me. Here is a transcript of the debate. Will someone show me one point that Romney won on the merits?

As a member of the general public, we were warned before the first debate that Mr. Romney was "practicing zingers." After listening to most of three debates, the only "zinger" that I recall Mitt Romney delivering was:
QUOTE(ROMNEY)
Mr. President, Mr. President, you're entitled as the president to your own airplane and to your own house, but not to your own facts.

So, we know what this poor homeless man is seeking, in running for President, is a roof over his head, and the chance to direct Air Force One's pilot to fly him to offshore islands where he can visit his money at the taxpayer's expense.

What we don't know for certain is who he was paraphrasing:
QUOTE(attributed to Daniel Patrick Moynahan)
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."

Variant: Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but they are not entitled to their own facts.

Quoted in Robert Sobel's review of Past Imperfect: History According to the Movies edited by Mark C. Carnes.

Variant: You are entitled to your own opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.

Quoted in Timothy J. Penny, Facts Are Facts, National Review September 4, 2003.

Variant: You're entitled to your own opinions. You're not entitled to your own facts.

Ellen Hume, Tabloids, Talk Radio and the Future of News, part 4 (TOC), 1995 cites this as something Moynihan said to a "1994 electoral opponent on WNBC in New York".

However, see where the identical quote is attributed to James R. Schlesinger in 1973 Congressional testimony. Also see Bernard Baruch, who said "Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts." in the January 6, 1950 issue of the Deming (New Mexico) Headlight ( link )

The impression of Willard that I have come away from watching these debates, is a sense that he is an out of touch bully with no sense of humor at all. Instead of providing us with memorable zingers, he has pushed hard on telling the moderators what the rules are, interrupted the President of the United States with demands for more time to speak, etc.

My most memorable impression of last night was an interaction between two millionaires. One was trying to tell the other that he needed to look at his pension plan… "Let me give you some advice, you need to look at your pension." He sounded like a stock broker warning the President that the United States Government is a poor investment to rely on as you get older. Social Security and government pensions might, after all, go away, if the Romney/Ryan team make a real effort to balance the Federal Budget in less than four years… The President's response hit me as: "Some of us have a day job."

Last night, PE and I were spending the night at church as guest hosts for homeless familes. We have no television at church. One of the homeless couples wanted the opportunity to see the debate, and PE found a live feed for us on the Internet. I remarked that it was odd to see that 75% of responders watching the site were "undecided voters." The husband thanked us because he and his wife had been arguing over who to vote for, but neither had seen so much as a televised ad. "Next question," he interjected, "is how are we going to vote on Election Day? I printed out a half dozen applications for absentee voting.

+Quote Post
Aquilla
post Oct 18 2012, 05:06 AM
Post #84

Advanced Senior Contributor

Member No.: 421

Politics: Conservative
Party affiliation: Republican

Just out of curiousity here, how many of those homeless couples were homeless four years ago?

I'm glad your church was able to provide for them for at least one evening. thumbsup.gif

Aquilla

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  « < 3 4 5
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Go to the top of the page - Simple Version Time is now: August 19th, 2018 - 10:47 PM
©2002-2010 America's Debate, Inc.  All rights reserved.