logo 
spacer

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

If you have an opinion, you should share it! Register Now!

America's Debate hosts the best in news, government, and political debate. Register now to take part in the most civil and constructive debate on the Internet. Join the community, and get ready to be challenged!

Click here to start

> Sponsored Links

Register to remove these ads!
> Sarah Palin to Become Fox Contributor, Is This a Wise or Foolish Move?
BoF
post Jan 11 2010, 07:49 PM
Post #1

Giga-bite: "I catch mice & rats - 2 & 4 legs."

Sponsor
October 2004

Group: Sponsors
Member No.: 3,423

Politics: Liberal
Party affiliation: Democrat

The Washington Post just announced that Sarah Palin will become a FNC contributor.

Sarah Palin, who regularly rips the media, is becoming a television pundit at a place where she's likely to feel at home.

A Fox News executive says the network will shortly announce that the former vice-presidential nominee is signing on as a contributor.

<snip>

Hiring Palin could further boost the popularity of Rupert Murdoch's network among conservative viewers. The network already employs former Bush White House aide Karl Rove and former House speaker Newt Gingrich as highly visible commentators.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/44/2010/0...isrc=newsletter

Questions for debate:

1. Other than appealing to an already heavily conservative viewership, what does Palin bring to Fox?

2. Will this help or hurt Palin, if she has national political aspirations?

Bonus question:

Do you think Palin will be seen as a substantive addition or a kind of novelty sideshow act?

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
DaytonRocker
post Jan 11 2010, 08:03 PM
Post #2

Advanced Senior Contributor

Group: Members
Member No.: 547

Politics: Moderate
Party affiliation: Republican

This looks to be a brilliant move by both parties.

First, Fox gets another propagandist. She is exceptionally well qualified for that. Secondly, Sarah Palin learns a lot about the issues that will help her avoid "gotcha" journalism should she choose to run for office again.

Very,very good move.

+Quote Post
Ted
post Jan 11 2010, 08:30 PM
Post #3

Ten Thousand Club

Sponsor
February 2007

Member No.: 1,807

Politics: Conservative
Party affiliation: Independent

So the question is who from the left can we add to MSNBC or CNN to balance her?

Or are Olbermann, Maddow, and Blitzer enough? w00t.gif
1. Other than appealing to an already heavily conservative viewership, what does Palin bring to Fox?

Not much at this point. And just a correction. Fox has a better balance in viewership than CNN or MSNBC from the surveys I have see right here on AD.

This post has been edited by Ted: Jan 11 2010, 08:30 PM

+Quote Post
Hobbes
post Jan 11 2010, 08:32 PM
Post #4

Group Icon

No More Mr. Nice Guy!

Group: Committee Members
Member No.: 1,155

I agree completely with DaytonRocker. Fox News viewership coincides almost perfectly with Palin's following. It gives her a place to get more exposure in a comfortable environment for her, and she'll bring more viewership to Fox. I think it will help both parties. It will give her a stage on which to either demontrate or acquire a better feel for addressing issues, something that will help her later if she plans on running for political office again. It will also give her a platform from which to more comfortably address any critics...it's always easier to shout down the critics when you're inside the castle.

I think her role will depend on just how well she does. If she does poorly, they'll keep her as a sideshow, if she does well I would expect she'll get a fairly major role...although I don't see her getting her own time slot, but just as a contributing 'analyst'.

+Quote Post
lo rez
post Jan 11 2010, 08:36 PM
Post #5

Senior Contributor

Member No.: 10,616

1) Tons of free advertising when every form of media reports on Palin's latest folksy gaffe-tastic remark.

2) I seriously doubt there's anything she can do, much less as a Fox commentator, that would put her in any kind of position to take a national election. It's a push. Besides, there's more money in books and speaking tours than in holding political office.

Bonus Question: hahaha, really?

+Quote Post
BoF
post Jan 11 2010, 08:53 PM
Post #6

Sponsor
October 2004

QUOTE(Ted @ Jan 11 2010, 02:30 PM) *
And just a correction. Fox has a better balance in viewership than CNN or MSNBC from the surveys I have see right here on AD.

I said heavily, not completely. If you are going to correct someone, then provide a credible link - and I don't mean anything like NewsBusters.

What we can verify from an October Pew Poll is that Fox is seen as more ideological than other networks.

Nearly half of Americans (47%) say they think of Fox News as “mostly conservative,” 14% say it is “mostly liberal,” and 24% say it is “neither in particular.” Opinion about the ideological orientation of other TV news outlets is more mixed: while many view CNN and the three broadcast networks as mostly liberal, about the same percentages say they are neither in particular. However, somewhat more say MSNBC is mostly liberal than say it is neither in particular, by 36% to 27%..
http://people-press.org/report/559/

First, I don’t see how Palin can learn anything, when she’s in an environment that merely confirms her biases.

Second, I don't think Sarah Palin brings anything to the table that isn't already on Fox.

This is a novelty act - sensational, but with little substance.

This post has been edited by BoF: Jan 11 2010, 09:00 PM

+Quote Post
AuthorMusician
post Jan 11 2010, 08:53 PM
Post #7

Glasses and journalism work for me.

Sponsor
November 2003

Member No.: 297

Nothing of substance. Great material for comedians.

Depends if she's dependable. I have my doubts. SNL will have another reason to bring on Tina Fey, which I am looking forward to.

Bonus question:

Do you think Palin will be seen as a substantive addition or a kind of novelty sideshow act?

Novelty. Grist for comedians. She might get the attention of Rachel Maddow in the Holy Mackerel segment. Keith Olbermann might include her in the Woist Persons in de Woild shtick.

However, I'd not be surprised if neither occurs. I'm thinking flash in the pan, then nothing. There are far more outrageous types to chose from, and they have power.

+Quote Post
Ted
post Jan 11 2010, 10:04 PM
Post #8

Ten Thousand Club

Sponsor
February 2007

Member No.: 1,807

BoF
What we can verify from an October Pew Poll is that Fox is seen as more ideological than other networks.

And has a more balanced viewership.

Their annual survey of cable news audiences now shows:
• FNC: 39% Republican, 33% Democratic, 22% Independent
• CNN: 18% Republican, 51% Democratic, 23% Independent
• MSNBC: 18% Republican, 45% Democratic, 27% Independent
Whereas the other 2 really are “heavily” Dem.

http://www.thehotjoints.com/2008/10/06/new...watch-fox-news/

She will be a novelty unless she has learned a lot in the past year. I expect she will show up on Hannity more often rather than the “news”.

+Quote Post
JohnfrmCleveland
post Jan 11 2010, 10:39 PM
Post #9

Master Debater

Sponsor
September 2009

Member No.: 8,090

Politics: Very Liberal
Party affiliation: None

Her MILF-y good looks. I'll bet they don't put her behind a desk, so we can better check out her legs. Like they do with Megyn Kelly in the morning. wub.gif

I think it could help her, since one of her biggest flaws was her lack of political/news... awareness, for lack of a better word. Now, she'll be immersed in "news." I don't think simply being at FOX will really expose her to both sides of the issues, but at least she'll be more aware that those issues exist.

Bonus question:

It depends on how they use her. Having run in a presidential race (and having been a state governor for nearly a full term), she certainly should have some insight into things that the usual talking heads wouldn't. But I'm not going to hold my breath. I think she'll end up as yet another hot little on-air-airhead that FOX seems to prefer. (Anybody catch that Daily Show piece on Gretchen Carlson?)

+Quote Post
BoF
post Jan 11 2010, 11:11 PM
Post #10

Sponsor
October 2004

QUOTE(Ted @ Jan 11 2010, 04:04 PM) *
And has a more balanced viewership.

Their annual survey of cable news audiences now shows:
• FNC: 39% Republican, 33% Democratic, 22% Independent
• CNN: 18% Republican, 51% Democratic, 23% Independent
• MSNBC: 18% Republican, 45% Democratic, 27% Independent

Whereas the other 2 really are “heavily” Dem.

Great Ted, but my question stressed ideology, not party labels. I am not sure you can equate the two. Some “conservative” people describe themselves as “independent.”
We only have to look here for a rather vociferous example. laugh.gif

Given Sarah Palin’s propensity for feuding, with the Mc Cain campaign

http://www.politicsdaily.com/2010/01/11/sa...d-continues-on/

Then Levi Johnson.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/2..._palins_ex.html

Of course, there was David Letterman.

http://www.cafemom.com/dailybuzz/entertain...arah_Palin_Feud]

I doubt we'll have to wait long for her combative spirit to surfaces on Fox.

Her penchant for feudin' and fightin' might be good for ratings - al least temporarily

http://www.lyricsdepot.com/bing-crosby/feu...nd-fightin.html

Now what was that she said about Roger Ailes?

QUOTE(JohnfrmCleveland @ Jan 11 2010, 04:39 PM) *
Her MILF-y good looks. I'll bet they don't put her behind a desk, so we can better check out her legs. Like they do with Megyn Kelly in the morning. wub.gif

Fox certanly wouldn't want her sitting on what people, especially dirty-old-men like Pat Buchanan, want to see. innocent.gif

It 's also the old question about where someone like Palin keeps her brains. dazed.gif

Edited to fix links.

This post has been edited by BoF: Jan 11 2010, 11:36 PM

+Quote Post
vsrenard
post Jan 11 2010, 11:20 PM
Post #11

vsrenard

Sponsor
September 2008

Member No.: 5,438

Politics: Slightly Liberal
Party affiliation: Other

Eye candy? More one-liners we can hear about incessantly instead of focusing on important, fact-based details of what's going on in the world? More partisanship.

Help. It keeps her on the stage in a friendly environment where she won't be tasked too hard. Maybe she'll learn something. Hope springs eternal.

Bonus question:

Depends on who you ask. Fox will no doubt call her a substantive addition, as will her fans. Her opponents will seek to minimize her.

I myself am not looking forward to having her in the mainstream again. But if she can parlay whatever appeal she had in Alaska into something meaningful on the national stage, good for her, I guess.

This post has been edited by vsrenard: Jan 11 2010, 11:20 PM

+Quote Post
Paladin Elspeth
post Jan 12 2010, 12:14 AM
Post #12

I want the 10th Doctor for President!

Sponsor
August 1, 2003

Member No.: 721

Didn't former Governor Palin say she was going to help Alaska after she resigned?

Sex appeal, according to some. There's a country/western song that goes: "All she's gotta do is just gimme that wink" (doesn't do a thing for me, though).

She wants to stay in the national limelight, and she might(!) learn something as a contributor to Fox News. So in that way she will be helped, but only by people who would listen to her anyway.

Bonus question:

laugh.gif It might be "substantive" for Fox, but any other network? laugh.gif w00t.gif laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Jaime
post Jan 12 2010, 12:17 AM
Post #13

Group Icon

Elite Senior Contributor

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4

Politics: Independent

Sorry for not directly addressing the debate questions, but is anyone here REALLY sure Palin's got her ink on a News Corp contract? The article BoF links to, and everything else I've read recently, hints that this is merely a rumor. Forgive the skepticism, but I won't believe this until I literally see it.

+Quote Post
Julian
post Jan 12 2010, 12:21 AM
Post #14

Group Icon

Every day, when I wake up, I thank the Lord I'm Welsh

Group: Committee Members
Member No.: 496

Party affiliation: Other

My only suprise is that it's taken this long.

More of the same, but since what they already have is very profitable, this will hurt neither Fox News, nor Palin, nor FNC's viewers.

It's very hard to say. If she remains as divisive a figure among even Republican sympathisers, it's hard to see how she's ever going to come back to national political prominence except as some sort of partisan gadfly. Whatever else you can say about him, there's no doubting that Rush Limbaugh is politically very influential, nor that he'd bomb if he ever tried to go for national elected office. I see Palin as continuing in the same vein. The advantages of that kind of political influence, after all, are that you never need to go trawling around the country for votes, and there are no pesky term limits.

Bonus question:

I think she'll end up being a scheduling mainstay running some kind of talkshow, or several such (radio & TV) and pretty much give up on mainstream politics. So she'll be a substantial part of FNC's output. However, in terms of the weight of knowledge and experience she's likely to bring, I think she'll be... er, let's just say on the more entertainment end of their output. In other words, to answer the question, she'll be both.

+Quote Post
Paladin Elspeth
post Jan 12 2010, 12:22 AM
Post #15

I want the 10th Doctor for President!

Sponsor
August 1, 2003

Member No.: 721

Here's a link, Jaime:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_palin_fox_news

ANCHORAGE, Alaska – Sarah Palin, former Alaska governor and 2008 Republican vice presidential candidate, will return to her broadcast roots and take her conservative message to Fox News as a regular commentator, the cable channel announced Monday.

"I am thrilled to be joining the great talent and management team at Fox News," Palin said in a statement posted on the network's Web site. "It's wonderful to be part of a place that so values fair and balanced news."

Fox said that according to the multiyear deal, Palin will offer political commentary and analysis on the cable channel, as well as Fox's Web site, radio network and business cable channel.

+Quote Post
Dontreadonme
post Jan 12 2010, 12:33 AM
Post #16

Group Icon

I think, therefore I am an enemy of the State....and Fox News

Sponsor
October 2003

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 359

Party affiliation: Libertarian

It's a perfect match...a marriage made in heaven. When I saw this thread, I just about fell over laughing. Another pretend politician goes to work for a pretend news channel. To answer the question...I don't think that she brings anything to Fox. Nothing that informed viewers and voters would find as substantive. It's especially damning that this virtually coincides with the release of the Halperin book. This merely reminds viewers of above room temperature IQ that Palin is a sock puppet.

Given my opinion of the vast majority of American voters...I really don't think that this will hurt her.

Bonus question:

Fox is known far and wide for newsbabes and contrived controversy....Palin is a perfect fit for the Fox Novelty Sideshow Act.

+Quote Post
Jaime
post Jan 12 2010, 12:42 AM
Post #17

Group Icon

Elite Senior Contributor

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4

Thanks PE. I apologize - I was out of the 'news' loop today ('real' work and all). I appreciate the information. In light of this...

I really don't know. I don't watch Fox. I used to, but it's been almost a decade since I was a regular, so I don't really know what Fox wants as its primary audience. It can't be people like me or they would have appealed aleady. Good luck to Fox in whatever it endeavors - not that they need my luck as they are leading in all primetime broadcasts for cable news.

For a person like me I would say it hurts. I've been a fence-sitter on Palin, if not slightly leaning toward the 'against Palin' aka 'she's dumb' camp. I have held out hopes she will finally learn to articulate real conservatism, but I remain disappointed. She seemed SO promising, yet hasn't delivered jack. I had hoped after the election we'd see the 'real' (ie not the perky/cheeleader) Palin. So far, 'real' has equated to perky/cheerleader, so I wonder if there really is any substance there.

Bonus question:

Be seen? By whom? My sophomore year English teacher would ream you for the phraseology of this question! Active voice, not passive.

Since I don't know who is seeing and as what, I'll skip this one. I think my answer to Q#2 sums it up. wink2.gif

+Quote Post
BoF
post Jan 12 2010, 01:20 AM
Post #18

Sponsor
October 2004

QUOTE(Julian @ Jan 11 2010, 06:21 PM) *
My only suprise is that it's taken this long.

I’m not surprised.

She has had a lot to do.

First, she had to complete her ghost written book.

Second, the book signing tour had to be completed.

With millions in the bank, she's now got time for Fox.

This post has been edited by BoF: Jan 12 2010, 01:24 AM

+Quote Post
cicero
post Jan 12 2010, 04:01 AM
Post #19

Senior Contributor

Member No.: 8,824

Sara Palin brings the beginning of the end for Fox News. Ok, maybe not that bad, but I am willing to bet that this will do Fox more harm than good in the end. Fox will certainly see an increase however, I also think this announcement will be a turn off to the independents and center-left people who watch Fox news. They will see this as a losing of creditability and in time lose viewers. I’m sure that most conservatives already watch Fox so how much more do they really have to gain? I don’t have all the facts, but in my opinion this is a bad move for Fox News.

Also, I bet that this move has upset some of the big names in Fox News including Shepherd Smith. I can’t confirm that, but let’s just say there are some real journalists and liberals at Fox.

This is all of course speculative, but I am willing to put some money into it… whistling.gif

It's all up to her. If she does well then it will help her and if she does not then probably won't help her.

Novelty that will bring in money for some time, but she will fade away in time.

This post has been edited by cicero: Jan 12 2010, 04:02 AM

+Quote Post
AuthorMusician
post Jan 12 2010, 04:30 AM
Post #20

Glasses and journalism work for me.

Sponsor
November 2003

Member No.: 297

Regarding Sarah Palin's value as eye candy for Fox:

Um, perhaps nobody else has noticed, but the woman is on in years. There's support hose in her future along with West Coast body pinches and pumps and all. There's high-def TV for junjee's sake!

It's a little sad. But hey, go for it girl! I mean, get it while you can. It won't be much longer, kid. And you've got those children . . .

Maybe my delight at getting good comedy out of this has been tempered by considering the realities we all face. Yes, I am sure of it. Should rust never sleep? Perhaps.

First rust has to form. Takes time. Time, time, time . . . it was on our side. Nevermore.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Go to the top of the page - Simple Version Time is now: January 29th, 2022 - 10:51 AM
©2002-2010 America's Debate, Inc.  All rights reserved.