logo 
spacer

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

If you have an opinion, you should share it! Register Now!

America's Debate hosts the best in news, government, and political debate. Register now to take part in the most civil and constructive debate on the Internet. Join the community, and get ready to be challenged!

Click here to start

> Sponsored Links

Register to remove these ads!
> Is it Time to Go?
BoF
post Feb 15 2015, 11:11 PM
Post #1

Giga-bite: "I catch mice & rats - 2 & 4 legs."

Sponsor
October 2004

Group: Sponsors
Member No.: 3,423

Politics: Liberal
Party affiliation: Democrat

The revival of the “Wertz Memorial” thread left me wondering what has happened to this page and whether or not it should be taken off life support. After nearly eleven years as a member here, I hate to

Evidence that ad.gif is no longer viable.

1. Several years ago the owners quit providing banners for award members.

2. The plug on ad.gif Radio was pulled in 2012.

3. Starting two years ago, we stopped having awards period.

4. Click here to See When the Last New Member Joined.

5. The ever popular football thread ended with only three participants and promised results were never posted. Probably because of lack of interest, Hobbes did not start his college bowl prediction thread.

6. The Today panel used to turn over several times a day. Now it takes a week or so before the oldest thread rotates off then list.

7. Although Brenn’s thread on the deficit was four years, it was allowed to be debated. That is understandable in that few new threads have been started lately.
http://www.americasdebate.com/forums/index...#entry100029679

8. The IPS Driver issue has not been addressed by administrators.
http://www.americasdebate.com/forums/index...#entry100029703

9. The political joke thread is being used to post propagandistic retweet from such as the “Iowa Hawk.”

For Discussion:

Should Mike and Jaime close this board? Why or why not?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 14)
nighttimer
post Feb 16 2015, 12:31 AM
Post #2

Advanced Senior Contributor

Sponsor
February 2007

Member No.: 504

Politics: Undisclosed
Party affiliation: Undisclosed

QUOTE(BoF @ Feb 15 2015, 06:11 PM) *
For Discussion:

No.

It's their board and they can do with it whatever they please. The board belongs to them, not the people who post here and if it pleases them to do nothing, then that's their call, nobody else. We had this discussion last year when I began a similar thread. It was a nice discussion about how things ain't what they used to be, but did it change anything?

I barely bother with the board because too often I find no topics I want to participate in. On the board where I do participate we've discussed the threat posed by ISIS, the attack by terrorists on Charlie Hebido, potential 2016 presidential candidates, the shootings of Tamir Rice in Cleveland, Akai Gurley in NYC and of course, Michael Brown in Ferguson, Missouri and the resulting racial unrest as well as the acquittal of the police officers who killed Brown and Eric Garner. We've had very lively discussions on the controversy swirling around American Sniper, making police accountable, "trigger warnings" and even Deflategate.

So with all due respect to Dingo, I'm less interested in discussing a six-year-old thread about nuclear power in France than I am a bloody terror attack in France that left 16 people dead and wasn't debated at all at America's Debate.

This board is what it is and what it is is a pale shadow and a sorry shell of what it was. Without an influx of new members discussing new topics, what else could it be, but so what? If the fine folks who run the joint are satisfied with the present state, then who am I to say different?

Last and least, if the board's in-house conservatives have become the dominant voice here what of it? Nature abhors a void and if akaCG is here to fill it, more power to him and those that think like him. 2014 was a good year to be a conservative and America's Debate simply got there earlier than the rest of the country went. The board has become less diverse in membership and perspective.

As far as I'm concerned, anyone who doesn't like the present direction of the board have two choices: change it or leave it.

I've already made my choice. Pretty happy with it too. cool.gif

+Quote Post
Gray Seal
post Feb 16 2015, 01:30 AM
Post #3

Millennium Mark

Group: Members
Member No.: 335

Party affiliation: None

ad.gif is good. The participants do a good job of respectful disagreement. I think the quality of the recent posts in the past 6 months have been as good as they have ever been. The number of posts is down but the quality is good.

The archives contain many good discussions. The entire site is a resource for finding various viewpoints on issues of the day. The proof of that is checking the "last clicked". People use the archive.

Your negative list of reasons is mostly trivial matters of the site: football polls, awards, radio. This site is about issues. As long as the quality of the posts is maintained this site will rebound with greater numbers of posters in the future. People like to have debates in a constructive manner.

I know I do.

+Quote Post
Bikerdad
post Feb 16 2015, 02:53 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 715

Party affiliation: Undisclosed

To the topic:

I, personally, would miss ad.gif, but whether they close it or not is up to them. As for the dearth of discussions on topics of interest, the solution to that of course if for people to start discussions that interest them.

+Quote Post
akaCG
post Feb 16 2015, 03:34 PM
Post #5

Sponsor
August 2012

Member No.: 10,787

Politics: Conservative
Party affiliation: Independent

QUOTE(nighttimer @ Feb 15 2015, 07:31 PM) *
As far as I'm concerned, anyone who doesn't like the present direction of the board have two choices: change it or leave it.

Agreed.

To which I would add:

Imagine that you've been hosting neighborhood potluck dinners for a long time. Then imagine that someone who's been regularly attending but hasn't brought anything in God knows how long, shows up at your house and turns to the other attendees with:"The quantity and quality of the food has sure gone downhill. And what's with no longer giving out awards for Tastiest Casserole, Most Creative Use of Brussels Sprouts, Hottest Dang Chili, and stuff? 'Far as I'm concerned, maybe it's time for the host to put a fork in all this. What do you guys think?"

I know what I would do.

+Quote Post
vsrenard
post Feb 16 2015, 03:46 PM
Post #6

vsrenard

Sponsor
September 2008

Member No.: 5,438

Politics: Slightly Liberal
Party affiliation: Other

It's pretty disrespectful to be advising Mike and Jaime what they should do. The petty insults and cringeworthy style of striking with no substance is why I stopped posting here. I check in to see if there are new members with the zeal to debate honestly. I hope it will happen.

+Quote Post
Dingo
post Feb 16 2015, 05:47 PM
Post #7

Elite Senior Contributor

Member No.: 225

Politics: Independent
Party affiliation: Private

QUOTE(nighttimer @ Feb 15 2015, 04:31 PM) *
So with all due respect to Dingo, I'm less interested in discussing a six-year-old thread about nuclear power in France than I am a bloody terror attack in France that left 16 people dead and wasn't debated at all at America's Debate.

Perhaps you hadn't noticed, the nuclear thread has evolved to just about anything to do with nuclear power. That never goes out of style.

As to topics that aren't discussed, you are free to start them.

An additional thought; asking any forum to supply all your needs is silly. That's why I also post at other forums. I'd love to get some serious folks posting more in the environmental threads as they did in the past but que sera sera. Forums change. You enjoy them for what they offer.

This post has been edited by Dingo: Feb 16 2015, 05:59 PM

+Quote Post
AuthorMusician
post Feb 16 2015, 07:55 PM
Post #8

Glasses and journalism work for me.

Sponsor
November 2003

Member No.: 297

I agree with the take that metrics don't reflect what people take from this site. Maybe traffic rates still justify the overhead of maintaining the site, and that metric might reflect not only human visitors but also research bots. Software has improved immensely over the past decade, even to the point that commercial music OCR software can handle full orchestral scores. AI has leaped ahead, far past simple IF-THEN logic and closer to actual human reasoning and the development of stronger (faster, more reliable) reasoning over time.

Back in 2009 I encountered an AI engine used in higher ed administration that was downright scary. It's predictions were more accurate than those of human administrators, perhaps not such a difficult task but maybe so. And it seemed to mature over time through its self-modifying algorithms.

In any case, maybe people have matured over time as well. Trolls are still out there, but I bet that game has lost its appeal. That, more than likely, is due to not receiving the desired reactions. The former targets have let go of their chains, and so there's nothing left to yank?

+Quote Post
BoF
post Feb 16 2015, 09:25 PM
Post #9

Sponsor
October 2004

Deleted: See next post.

This post has been edited by BoF: Feb 17 2015, 12:18 AM

+Quote Post
BoF
post Feb 16 2015, 09:25 PM
Post #10

Sponsor
October 2004

QUOTE(akaCG @ Feb 16 2015, 09:34 AM) *
Imagine that you've been hosting neighborhood potluck dinners for a long time. Then imagine that someone who's been regularly attending but hasn't brought anything in God knows how long, shows up at your house and turns to the other attendees with:"The quantity and quality of the food has sure gone downhill. And what's with no longer giving out awards for Tastiest Casserole, Most Creative Use of Brussels Sprouts, Hottest Dang Chili, and stuff?

If this is a dinner party, it appears the hosts had other engagements. Perhaps they knew you were coming.

Which brings us back to the purpose of this thread, that is to invite the owners back to their own board. Short of that, I see nothing but further decline.

'Far as I'm concerned, maybe it's time for the host to put a fork in all this. What do you guys think?"

I know what I would do.

As Lt. Kenda would say “My, My” akaCG. Perhaps you should buy the board, and complete what you started five years ago with “The Hawk,” “Pajamas Media,” “The Daily Caller,” “Powerline Blog," etc—that is running the plane that is ad.gif nose first into the ground.

This post has been edited by BoF: Feb 16 2015, 10:23 PM

+Quote Post
akaCG
post Feb 17 2015, 12:25 AM
Post #11

Sponsor
August 2012

QUOTE(BoF @ Feb 16 2015, 04:25 PM) *
Which brings us back to the purpose of this thread, that is to invite the owners back to their own board. ...

If that had truly been your purpose, you could have simply PM'ed them.

Instead, you opted for exhibitionist, self-indulgent, validation-seeking whining/venting, along with a hefty helping of not only (as "vsrenard" quite correctly put it) disrespect for your hosts, but an utter lack of consideration for whether the reason(s) for your hosts' no longer meeting your ... cough ... cough ... standards have to do with their (personal? professional? medical? combination?) life circumstances.

Ugh.

+Quote Post
BoF
post Feb 17 2015, 12:34 AM
Post #12

Sponsor
October 2004

QUOTE(akaCG @ Feb 16 2015, 06:25 PM) *
Which brings us back to the purpose of this thread, that is to invite the owners back to their own board. ...

Instead, you opted for exhibitionist, self-indulgent, validation-seeking whining/venting, along with a hefty helping of not only (as "vsrenard" quite correctly put it) disrespect for your hosts, but an utter lack of consideration for whether the reason(s) for your hosts' no longer meeting your ... cough ... cough ... standards have to do with their (personal? professional? medical? combination?) life circumstances.

Ugh.

Who are you to divine anyone else's motivation?

Oh forget it. I forgot I'm talking to a nobody with an with an ego that demands he appear to be somebody.

QUOTE(BoF @ Feb 16 2015, 03:25 PM) *
As Lt. Kenda would say “My, My” akaCG. Perhaps you should buy the board, and complete what you started five years ago with “The Hawk,” “Pajamas Media,” “The Daily Caller,” “Powerline Blog," etc—that is running the plane that is ad.gif nose first into the ground.

Of course, you failed to justify the fraudulent and biased sources you use to bombard the board with propaganda rather than debate. You don't bring much to the potluck yourself.

C'mon now. Try to justify your choice of sources.

This post has been edited by BoF: Feb 17 2015, 12:59 AM

+Quote Post
akaCG
post Feb 17 2015, 01:14 AM
Post #13

Sponsor
August 2012

QUOTE(BoF @ Feb 16 2015, 07:34 PM) *
QUOTE(akaCG @ Feb 16 2015, 06:25 PM) *

Ugh.

Who are you to divine anyone else's motivation?

Quoth the chap who wrote:
... Probably because of lack of interest, Hobbes did not start his college bowl prediction thread.

Oy vey.

+Quote Post
BoF
post Feb 17 2015, 01:57 AM
Post #14

Sponsor
October 2004

QUOTE(akaCG @ Feb 16 2015, 07:14 PM) *
... Probably because of lack of interest, Hobbes did not start his college bowl prediction thread.

Quoth the chap who wrote:
Oy vey.

You are grasping at straws. You will notice I used the word “probably”, a word that leaves room for doubt. I based that statement on the fact that the regular football thread ended with only three people playing. You, on the other hand, don’t seem capable of leaving any room for self-doubt about anything you post.

If Hobbes disagrees with my statement he is perfectly able to do so.

You still haven’t justified use of the crappy sources I mentioned.

BTW

When your thread didn’t pan out, you hauled your blowtorch onto this one.

BTW 2

Feel free to continue along these lines. I'm through. C'mon now, have the last word, while I have the last laugh.

This post has been edited by BoF: Feb 17 2015, 04:12 AM

+Quote Post
Dontreadonme
post Feb 17 2015, 12:33 PM
Post #15

Group Icon

I think, therefore I am an enemy of the State....and Fox News

Sponsor
October 2003

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 359

Politics: Independent
Party affiliation: Libertarian

This thread has become unconstructive, and a venue for personal attacks. The Comments/Suggestions in the opener are noted for the record.

+Quote Post

Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Go to the top of the page - Simple Version Time is now: March 29th, 2020 - 09:10 AM
©2002-2010 America's Debate, Inc.  All rights reserved.