logo 
spacer

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

If you have an opinion, you should share it! Register Now!

America's Debate hosts the best in news, government, and political debate. Register now to take part in the most civil and constructive debate on the Internet. Join the community, and get ready to be challenged!

Click here to start

> Sponsored Links

Register to remove these ads!

> Welcome to the America's Debate Archive!

Topics that have had no new replies in the last 180 days are moved to the archive.

New replies are not accepted once a topic is moved to the archive, and new topics cannot be started in the archive.

> Headscarf Ban Kidnapping..., Never ceases to amaze...
turnea
post Aug 30 2004, 03:37 PM
Post #1

Tweedy Impertinence

Sponsor
December 2005

Group: Sponsors
Member No.: 133

Politics: Liberal
Party affiliation: None

From the BBC:
An Iraqi militant group has announced it is holding two missing French journalists, according to Arabic television station al-Jazeera.

The group is reportedly demanding that the French government end a ban on Muslim headscarves in French schools in exchange for releasing them.

Frenchmen 'held by Iraqi group'
For those unfamiliar with the law the terrorists are targeting....
QUOTE(Reuters)
  France passed the law banning conspicuous signs of faith in state schools in reaction to the growing influence of Islamist activists among its 5 million Muslims and mounting tensions between Muslim and Jewish youths in schools.

The law was widely slammed abroad as a flagrant violation of religious freedom, both in the United States and Britain as well as across the Muslim world. France rejected the criticism.

Chirac Demands Release of Hostages in Iraq

Now let me make something clear. I oppose the ban.

In fact, I think it is the most destructive, immoral, and certainly the stupidest domestic policy I've heard from a major nation in a long time.

...but these actions aid no one.

So...

Will the actions of these terrorists help or hurt the cause of repealing the French ban?

What is your view of the proposal to ban "conspicuous symbols of religion" worn by students in French schools?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Cyan
post Aug 30 2004, 04:13 PM
Post #2

Group Icon

Girl Anachronism

Sponsor
April 2003

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 138

Party affiliation: Democrat

Will the actions of these terrorists help or hurt the cause of repealing the French ban?

Everytime that a Muslim commits any kind of terrorist activity, it hurts the cause of Muslims around the world, because it further cements the image of Islam as a religion of extremism and violence. This is no different.

France is not going to cater to terrorists, and acts of violence against French citizens is only going to succeed in convincing the French that they need to push a little bit harder in regards to laws that limit religious freedom for Muslims.

What is your view of the proposal to ban "conspicuous symbols of religion" worn by students in French schools?

I oppose the headscarf ban, because I believe that it will push an already marginalized group of people further into the fringes of French society.

This is very much related to a clash of civilizations, and I can appreciate what France is trying to do, but I disagree with their methodology. If the goal is to integrate Muslims more seamlessly into French society, time and acceptance will work more effectively.

As it stands right now, Muslims have been placed on the defensive, and the need to defend their culture only stands to reinforce the most extreme aspects of it.

+Quote Post
lederuvdapac
post Aug 30 2004, 04:16 PM
Post #3

Mr. Free Market

Sponsor
August 2006

Member No.: 2,573

Politics: Independent

QUOTE(turnea @ Aug 30 2004, 11:37 AM)

I believe that the French plan on appeasing the terrorists and lifting the ban. I'll try to find the source on that and get back to here. The terrorists can do whatever they want to most European countries and get what they want because Europe loves to appease and the terrorists love being appeased.

I think the ban is ridiculous. This is the country that *some people* want the US to admire and become more like?

This post has been edited by lederuvdapac: Aug 30 2004, 05:07 PM

+Quote Post
Cyan
post Aug 30 2004, 04:41 PM
Post #4

Group Icon

Girl Anachronism

Sponsor
April 2003

QUOTE(Lederuvdupac)
I believe that the French plan on appeasing the terrorists and lifting the ban.

I have two articles that state that France intends to implement the headscarf ban despite the blackmail attempt.

France:Headscarf Ban Stays
France prepares to implement headscarf ban

Obviously, things could change, but as it stands right now, France is holding its ground.

QUOTE(Lederuvdupac)
The terrorists can do whatever they want to most European countries and get what they want because Europe loves to appease and the terrorists love being appeased.

Europe has been dealing with terrorism for a large span of time, and while their approach may at times be different than the American approach, it doesn't mean that they "love to appease." This statement is pretty inflammatory.

This post has been edited by Cyan: Aug 30 2004, 05:20 PM

+Quote Post
Ocean Islands
post Aug 30 2004, 07:08 PM
Post #5

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,547

Politics: Undisclosed

Chirac is not the type of person to repeal the ban because of these terrorists. He is very stubborn.

France is in a difficult place because Muslims are not assimilating into the population. In addition, they have a proud and strict tradition of separation of church and state they need to uphold.

I have to say, though, that I'm a bit undecided on whether the headscarf ban was a good choice, as yet.

+Quote Post
yehoshua
post Aug 30 2004, 07:18 PM
Post #6

Senior Contributor

Member No.: 3,521

Politics: Conservative
Party affiliation: Republican

Chirac is not the type of person to repeal the ban because of these terrorists. He is very stubborn.

If Chirac is stubborn, would this be an in roads for him to join the coalition force in Iraq (since they were kidknapped in Iraq)? And if France joins will the Germans? And if the France and German join will Kerry still say that Bush has made America look bad in the eyes of the world?

+Quote Post
Jaime
post Aug 30 2004, 07:45 PM
Post #7

Group Icon

Elite Senior Contributor

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4

yehoshua - please don't take this thread off-topic.

DEBATE:

+Quote Post
Julian
post Aug 30 2004, 08:13 PM
Post #8

Group Icon

Every day, when I wake up, I thank the Lord I'm Welsh

Group: Committee Members
Member No.: 496

Party affiliation: Other

Last I heard, French Muslim leaders have gone on record as saying that they will discourage their girl children from wearing headscarves to school if the hostages are harmed in any way, because they don't want to wear garments "tainted with blood".

If this happens, the ban on headscarves could be made redundant, and give the peaceable majority of Muslims a visible way of expressing their disgust at Islamic terrorism.

Of course, it would be better for the French journalists to be released, but in a way this is an encouraging development for Muslims living in Western societies.

Maybe I'm in a good mood because of Amir Khan, the 17-year-old British boxer who won the lightweight silver medal at the Olympics. He's been adopted by the British press and public as a hero of a kind, and his Islam has been portrayed in a positive light. It doesn't hurt that he is obviously proud of being British - with both himself and his family waving the Union flag at every opportunity.

I may be alone, but I find much cause for hope in the way ordinary Muslim westerners are becoming increasingly unafraid to emphasise their Western-ness - and not just their Islam.

+Quote Post
moif
post Aug 30 2004, 09:39 PM
Post #9

suspending disbelief

Sponsor
February 2004

Member No.: 424

In the long run, it won't make any difference. The Algerians used to try and get the French to bend to their will by setting off bombs in the Paris metro. It never worked either.

There is no way on this Earth that any French president is going to change a law just because two journalists got themselves captured by terrorists. All they will do is make a song and dance about it and hope for the best.

I think a school uniform is just that. A uni-form. I also think that if you go to another country and they have a dress code, then you dress as they do. In my culture we dress very casually, but if I went to certain parts the world I'd be arrested for showing my knees. Consequently I would not show my knee's.

If the Muslims of France wish to integrate into French culture, then they should be prepared to leave their old culture in their old country. If they care so much about their old culture then they should stay where it is practiced and not take advantage of other people's lenience to foist it onto them.

+Quote Post
turnea
post Aug 30 2004, 09:47 PM
Post #10

Tweedy Impertinence

Sponsor
December 2005

QUOTE(Julian @ Aug 30 2004, 03:13 PM)
Of course, it would be better for the French journalists to be released, but in a way this is an encouraging development for Muslims living in Western societies.

I'd have to disagree, most western Muslims (or their associations at any rate) have already made clear their opposition to terrorism. The forced ban on headscarves would remain a blight on France's human rights record, whether enforced by shame or expulsions.
QUOTE(Julian)
I may be alone, but I find much cause for hope in the way ordinary Muslim westerners are becoming increasingly unafraid to emphasise their Western-ness - and not just their Islam.

Although I agree with what you are saying, I think you miss the primary problem with Muslims in the West.

Namely, non-Muslim's fear of the expression of Islam, even if it harms no one. That element of xenophobia is what drives the headscarf ban, not what is happening in the Muslim community.

When the 9/11 attacks occurred, everyone agreed they were unjustified. Just the same, some pointed out that the terrorist actions were supposedly extreme expressions of legitimate concerns. I don't share that view exactly, I don't believe the terrorist themselves are acting out of rational policy goals, but this does offer the chance to discuss the flaws in policy.
I think Shild in a previous thread, described them most efficiently.
QUOTE(Shild)
1) Encourage tolerance with legislation which is manifestly intolerant of religious expression. 

2) Encourage respect of other points of view by suppressing them. 

3) Encourage unity by alienating large portions of the population. 

4) Encourage peace by making people very angry. 

I'm beginning to see a problem with the French lawmakers' logic. 

Here's a bit of a challenge to look at things a different way:
Think of one practical benefit of the ban worth passing the law.

Sound simple? It's not...
devil.gif
QUOTE(moif)
If the Muslims of France wish to integrate into French culture, then they should be prepared to leave their old culture in their old country. If they care so much about their old culture then they should stay where it is practiced and not take advantage of other people's lenience to foist it onto them.

laugh.gif
...and Muslim schoolgirls are forcing "Islamic culture" onto France by wearing headscarves....
I see headscarves frequently, I am under no pressure to become a Muslim.

To integrate into a news culture should not mean leaving the old ways behind, as long as they don't impose upon anyone else. Is the mixing of cultures so much to be avoided as to enforce it by law?

This post has been edited by turnea: Aug 30 2004, 09:55 PM

+Quote Post
ConservPat
post Aug 30 2004, 10:15 PM
Post #11

Advanced Senior Contributor

Member No.: 415

Politics: Very Liberal
Party affiliation: Independent

I doubt it, France is VERY secular, and I don't think that terrorists can change that secular tradition.

It doesn't make sense. What harm can a headscarf possibly do? What is the actual purpose of this ban?

I also think that if you go to another country and they have a dress code, then you dress as they do.
I see where you're coming from moif, that's the same way I feel about English as the US' national language...However, in this case, if the tradition in this case, a dress code, is based on the premise that wearing something somehow influences other, it is ridiculous to have to follow it.

CP us.gif

+Quote Post
English Horn
post Aug 30 2004, 10:18 PM
Post #12

Five Hundred Club

Member No.: 2,819

It will not help the cause and I don't think the ban will be repealed. Despite the controversy I believe the measure is very popular with ordinary folks (as I hear, the referendum was won by a landslide). Chirac is not the kind of guy who would appease some ragtag terrorists who are trying to influence French domestic policy.

I may be alone here, but I totally support it. I believe school uniforms contribute a great deal to discipline which, in turn, leads to success. And, as Moif pointed out, an uniform is an uniform... It's essential for school to stay totally out of politics and especially religion - French people, and Europeans in general, are very proud of their secularism. A school is a place for learning, and for nothing else. Also let's not forget that the ban is not directed specifically towards muslims - large crosses would be banned, as well as yarmulkas and turbans.

This is the country that *some people* want the US to admire and become more like?

France is not a "melting pot" like USA - they are a homogenous country and it's important for them to stay that way. French care a great deal about their cultural identity and language. I applaud them for that and I wish that USA would do more of the same.

+Quote Post
moif
post Aug 30 2004, 10:57 PM
Post #13

suspending disbelief

Sponsor
February 2004

Member No.: 424

turnea

laugh.gif ...and Muslim schoolgirls are forcing "Islamic culture" onto France by wearing headscarves....
I see headscarves frequently, I am under no pressure to become a Muslim.

Do you suppose those school girls exist in a vacuum?

They don't. They belong to an alien culture. One which takes French journalists hostage and demands France change its laws to suit their cultural expectations.

To integrate into a news culture should not mean leaving the old ways behind, as long as they don't impose upon anyone else. Is the mixing of cultures so much to be avoided as to enforce it by law?

Do you accept uninvited strangers into your home?

+Quote Post
countrockula
post Aug 30 2004, 10:59 PM
Post #14

Century Mark

Member No.: 1,156

Party affiliation: Undisclosed

France is not a "melting pot" like USA - they are a homogenous country and it's important for them to stay that way. French care a great deal about their cultural identity and language. I applaud them for that and I wish that USA would do more of the same.

French Immigration - Net migration rate: 0.66 migrant(s)/1,000 population (2000 est.)

Traditionally, France has had a high level of immigration

from this Link

France isn't a homogenous country - if they were, the turban ban wouldn't exist because there wouldn't be any turbans to ban. What you're really talking about is the extremely dubious French Sense of French Greatness. Among othe things, FSFG is responsible for France's silly and vaguely xenophobic Ministry of Culture, which tries to keep ordinary frenchmen from using "Franglais," and generally guards against undue American influence on French culture. I think this is an extremely precarious logical position you've staked out to defend here. Why should America be more like France, exactly?

Sorry, forgot to answer the actual debate question - What is your view of the proposal to ban "conspicuous symbols of religion" worn by students in French schools?

I think it's totally idiotic.

This post has been edited by countrockula: Aug 30 2004, 11:04 PM

+Quote Post
Cyan
post Aug 30 2004, 11:15 PM
Post #15

Group Icon

Girl Anachronism

Sponsor
April 2003

10% of the French population is Muslim, and 70% of those Muslims come from Tunisia, Algeria, and Morrocco which were all former French colonies. France may not have directly invited them in, but the large number of Muslims immigrating to France is certainly related to the nation's history.

QUOTE(Moif)

I think that is the problem, Moif. They don't want to integrate into French culture if that means leaving their cultural and religious views behind.

I can understand the problems that France has with a large multicultural population, but I disagree with the methodology involved. It seems that it is the non-Muslim population that is concerned with integrating the Muslims into French society. How is it going to be effective to tell Muslims that they can't be who they are? Doesn't it seem like a recipe for causing Muslims to exclude themselves even further by pulling their children out of school?

+Quote Post
English Horn
post Aug 30 2004, 11:47 PM
Post #16

Five Hundred Club

What you're really talking about is the extremely dubious French Sense of French Greatness. Among othe things, FSFG is responsible for France's silly and vaguely xenophobic Ministry of Culture, which tries to keep ordinary frenchmen from using "Franglais," and generally guards against undue American influence on French culture. I think this is an extremely precarious logical position you've staked out to defend here. Why should America be more like France, exactly?

I didn't say that it should be more like France in every regard, but I like their efforts to preserve the purity of the language. French Sense of French Greatness is definitely annoying to some, but it helped them to preserve the culture and language with minimum outside influence (same can be said about Jews preserving Hebrew and Yiddish through generations by carefully protecting it from the influence from outside). Now what exactly is wrong with trying to keep the language pure and protect it from so-called words-parasites? I am not a native speaker of the English language but I am trying to use it to the best of my ability, and I try not to use words like "nite" instead of "night", "nukes", etc.
Don't worry, my vocabulary of vernacular English is fairly extensive and I can use it every now and then... laugh.gif but I want myself to be able to talk in proper English when required. I try to keep my Russian to the same standard. What's wrong with French doing the same thing?

Edited to remove reply to removed post

This post has been edited by Jaime: Aug 31 2004, 12:17 AM

+Quote Post
countrockula
post Aug 31 2004, 12:06 AM
Post #17

Century Mark

Member No.: 1,156

Party affiliation: Undisclosed

Don't worry, my vocabulary of vernacular English is fairly extensive and I can use it every now and then... laugh.gif but I want myself to be able to talk in proper English when required. I try to keep my Russian to the same standard. What's wrong with French doing the same thing?

I think it's great that you've personally decided to hold yourself to a high level of usage. I try to do the same thing. As far as "defending" French and keeping it "pure" goes, however - languages are not virgin princesses. They are constantly evolving and their strength lies in their flexibility - I would be very skeptical of any legislative body that presumed to place an arbitrary standard on spoken or written English. America is the undisputed arbiter of world cultural taste precisely because we don't have a "Culture Ministry" sitting around worrying about, for example, the bad influence of rap music on English usage. I think the French focus on preserving the "Frenchness" of France is ultimately at best a self-defeating exercise in navel-gazing, and at worst a type of mental chauvinism that lays the groundwork for such backward-thinking moves as telling Muslim children not to wear headscarves.

+Quote Post
GoAmerica
post Aug 31 2004, 12:27 AM
Post #18

Group: BANNED
Member No.: 381

Party affiliation: Republican

QUOTE(turnea @ Aug 30 2004, 10:37 AM)

Hurt. Trying to make the French remove the ban by force isn't going to accomplish anything.

But i knew this headscarf ban thing would come back to haunt Chirac. I just knew it. But, of course, what do you expect from the French?

+Quote Post
English Horn
post Aug 31 2004, 12:37 AM
Post #19

Five Hundred Club

QUOTE(countrockula @ Aug 30 2004, 08:06 PM)
I think it's great that you've personally decided to hold yourself to a high level of usage.  I try to do the same thing.  As far as "defending" French and keeping it "pure" goes, however - languages are not virgin princesses.  They are constantly evolving and their strength lies in their flexibility - I would be very skeptical of any legislative body that presumed to place an arbitrary standard on spoken or written English.  America is the undisputed arbiter of world cultural taste precisely because we don't have a "Culture Ministry" sitting around worrying about, for example, the bad influence of rap music on English usage.  I think the French focus on preserving the "Frenchness" of France is ultimately at best a self-defeating exercise in navel-gazing, and at worst a type of mental chauvinism that lays the groundwork for such backward-thinking moves as telling Muslim children not to wear headscarves.

But almost every major nation has an institution the only purpose of which is protecting the language and culture:

In Germany it's the Goethe Institute with its motto of "Deutch lernen, Kultur erleben!" They definitely have a language standard - so called "Hochdeutsch"...
In France it's the previously mentioned Ministry of Culture
Russia has its own Ministry of Cultural Affairs
Greece has its own Hellenic Ministry of Culture

and so on.

"America is the undisputed arbiter of world cultural taste" is not because we don't have any ministries governing our cultural affairs, but because of our tremendous marketing power. By the way, a lot of people in Europe would not call America an "arbiter of cultural taste", because along with some gems we export a tremendous amount of garbage, such as aforementioned rap (don't really want to sound like a knuckledragger here but it's true! There's no positive cultural impact of rap IMO - only a tremendous negative influence. Before I am accused in racism I'd like to mention that Jazz and Soul brought volumes into the cultural identity of America. But not rap).
So "undisputed" may be a bit of a stretch here...

This post has been edited by English Horn: Aug 31 2004, 12:46 AM

+Quote Post
turnea
post Aug 31 2004, 02:30 AM
Post #20

Tweedy Impertinence

Sponsor
December 2005

QUOTE(moif @ Aug 30 2004, 05:57 PM)
Do you suppose those school girls exist in a vacuum?

They don't. They belong to an alien culture. One which takes French journalists hostage and demands France change its laws to suit their cultural expectations.

..and that still doesn't provide the least bit of logical backing of the headscarf ban. tongue.gif

I know that some will try to use the terrorist's actions to back France's policy, just as some in the US use the threat of terrorism to support restrictions on freedom in my own country.

Until we can give a rational answer to what all of that has to do with headscarves, this law is still ridiculous.
QUOTE(moif)
Do you accept uninvited strangers into your home?

Legal immigrants are not uninvited "guests", Muslims French citizens certainly aren't and frankly such a suggestion is an insult, illegal immigrants should be deported.

It still has nothing to do with the hijab.
QUOTE(English Horn)
I believe school uniforms contribute a great deal to discipline which, in turn, leads to success. And, as Moif pointed out, an uniform is an uniform...

... and I suppose their is no such thing as an unreasonable uniform? One that refuses to allow a piece of cloth around the head to fulfil a perceived religious obligation has to fall into that category. That doesn't lead anyone to success, just to frustration and distrust.

I have yet to see a yarmulke disturb a classroom. rolleyes.gif
QUOTE(English Horn)
French people, and Europeans in general, are very proud of their secularism. A school is a place for learning, and for nothing else.

Yes, many types of learning. Learning to deal with others, for instance...

Separation of Church and State I'm all for...
Separation of Church and Student is a violation of basic human rights.
QUOTE(English Horn)

If I might say, I find that kind of sentiment frightening.

France is not a homogeneous country, and conformity is not a value to be sought out. I have a quote form London Mayor Ken Livingston in my signature that says it all...

This post has been edited by turnea: Aug 31 2004, 02:31 AM

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Go to the top of the page - Simple Version Time is now: January 29th, 2022 - 02:17 AM
©2002-2010 America's Debate, Inc.  All rights reserved.