Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Marijuana: Should it be reclassified in the CSA?
America's Debate > Archive > Policy Debate Archive > [A] Domestic Policy
Google
Doclotus
As part of the Gonzales v. Raich debate, one of the remedies the court offers is for Congress to reclassify cannibis as a Schedule III substance under the Controlled Substances Act (CSA). It is currently a Schedule I substance, meaning according to law it currently has no medicinal value.

Questions for debate:

Would you support reclassification of Marijuana under the CSA so that medical use of it would be permitted? Why or why not?

Do you believe marijuana has medicinal value/benefits? Why or why not?

Note that there is a much larger marijuana legalization debate taking place elsewhere. Please confine the arguments in this thread specific to medicinal use.
Google
Amlord
Would you support reclassification of Marijuana under the CSA so that medical use of it would be permitted? Why or why not?

I think many people will be surprised to hear my answer: yes, I believe it should be re-classified.

All drugs have side effects and marijuana is no exception. However, if a doctor weighs the side effects against the upside and determines that an individual patient would benefit from the pain relieving effects and other medications are not effective or result in terrible side effects, then I would be perfectly fine with the drug being used in a highly controlled manner.

However, I would not be for allowing individuals to grow their own plants. There is no way for the government to regulate the use of such plants.
Doclotus
I thought it would be interesting to add a link to the number of organizations that support the medical use of marijuana. I was amazed how long the list was. Here is the link (yes, its from NORML). A few of the more notable ones:

American Academy of Family Physicians
American Medical Student Association
American Nurses Association
New England Journal of Medicine
Google
This is a simplified version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.