Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Nelson vs. Katharine Harris
America's Debate > Archive > Election Forum Archive > [A] Election 2006
Google
nebraska29
Things aren't looking so good for Katharine Harris.

A new independent Mason-Dixon poll of Florida voters shows US Senator Bill Nelson (D) holding a comfortable lead over challenger Congresswoman Katherine Harris ®. The results: Nelson-53%, Harris-36%. The poll was taken shortly after Harris announced her candidacy, but before word leaked that Governor Jeb Bush and White House political guru Karl Rove are attempting to recruit State House Speaker Allan Bense into the GOP primary against Harris. Now we can all see why the Bush crowd are intent on derailing a Harris candidacy.
(Courtesy of Politics1.com)

questions for debate:

1.)What issues would propel Harris past Nelson?

2.)What has Bill Nelson done to deserve not being re-elected?

3.)Are you willing now to predict the winner between these two? If so, who is going to win?
Google
nemov

This is a tough call a year and a half before the election. The Senate obstructionism will be a strong issue in 2006, but I don't think it will help Harris that much.

A better question might be "what has he done" to deserve being reelected. The answer to both questions is a bit unclear.

3.)Are you willing now to predict the winner between these two? If so, who is going to win?

Harris is my Rep right now and I just don't think she can win. It really boils down to shallow reasons, not politics. She just isn't a very likable candidate. Her part in the 2000 election will not make any difference. Either you have charisma or you don't. Harris just doesn't have it. I imagine this is the reason Bush doesn't want her to run for Senate. Nelson is in a seat that is winnable for Republicans, but they need a stronger candidate than Harris.

Wertz

None that I can think of. Nelson would have to be caught on camera snorting cocaine while accepting a bribe and fornicating with a goat in Havana for Harris to have a ghost of a chance.

He has been such a "Democrat in Name Only" that he makes Joe Lieberman look like a member of the party. I have no idea why Jeb Bush and Karl Rove are even bothering to get involved - Nelson is on their side. What he should fear is being challenged by a real Democrat in the primaries.

If it's a race between Nelson and Harris (which I doubt it will be - Harris has no appeal outside the panhandle and I suspect the Republican leadership is well aware of that fact), Nelson will win in a landslide: 36% is probably the best odds she'll ever have.
nebraska29
Here's a brief poll update. It's good news and bad news for Katherine Harris.

The bad news?

New independent poll numbers released on the '06 US Senate and open gubernatorial contests. In the US Senate race, incumbent US Senator Bill Nelson (D) led Congresswoman Katherine Harris ® by a 50% to 38% vote in the Quinnipiac University poll. Nelson also led State House Speaker Allan Bense ® -- the White House's favored candidate who has yet to enter the race and remains largely unknown -- by a vote of 55% to 26%.

The good news for Harris

A GOP primary poll shows Harris led Bense by a 54% to 6% vote.

THe White House's cherry-picked candidate might not make it past the primary. blink.gif blink.gif blink.gif

These and other news can be found on the frontpage of politics1.com.

Wow Wertz, I think you just mightbe right on this one. ermm.gif biggrin.gif
DrDankenstein
More than likely harris will lose this race. Jeb Bush and other members of the republican party do not endorse her. In fact Harris is going to spend 10 million of her own personal fortune to run in this election. How much of that 10million was inherited from her parents and how much was inherited from companies looking to score contracts is unknown to me. Harris' record of scandal after scandal makes her the worst candidate for this race.
ificandream
QUOTE(DrDankenstein @ Jun 5 2006, 10:35 AM) *

More than likely harris will lose this race. Jeb Bush and other members of the republican party do not endorse her. In fact Harris is going to spend 10 million of her own personal fortune to run in this election. How much of that 10million was inherited from her parents and how much was inherited from companies looking to score contracts is unknown to me. Harris' record of scandal after scandal makes her the worst candidate for this race.

If there was an incredibly dramatic turn in the Iraq war and she could tie herself to Bush, then maybe. But the fact the Republicans have strayed from endorsing her doesn't give her much hope.

Nothing. He's got the upper hand.

Nelson appears to be a shoe-in.
Jaime
QUOTE(ificandream @ Jun 23 2006, 01:50 AM) *

I agree that she's on a downward spiral. The Dems will certainly trumpet her loss big time after the election fiasco of 2000.

Welcome. Since you're new you likely didn't know one liners are against the Rules since they are not considered constructive. Please bring substance to the debates. smile.gif

TOPICS:

Dadzilla
"1.)What issues would propel Harris past Nelson?"

As I see it the only sure thing that could possibly save Harris is Nelson being found in a hotel with 90,000 in cash and the dead body of a underage boy.

Nelson fits snuggly into the description of a moderate, Harris on the other hand and in part due to the 2004 election fiasco has been labeled solidly as a right wing hack.

To improve her position she needs to walk a very fine line. She could attempt to point out her differences with the Neocons and Nelson's dealings with more liberal members within the Democratic Party.

nebraska29
I added question #2 as his voting record puts him very much in blue dog conservative democrat circles. You can access his sponsored bill and votes here. A resolution condemning Iran, supporting the boy scouts no matter what, not to mention voting for the flag burning amendment are but a few issues that I just don't see how Harris can nail him. It's one thing if he votes like Ted Kennedy. It's quite another when he has a moderate record, which reflects back on her being viewed as a political hack and toady of the Bush administration and GOP in general. No matter who the nominee is, I fail to see how you could use his record against him.
Google
This is a simplified version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2021 Invision Power Services, Inc.