Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rick Perry vs. Carole Strayhorn
America's Debate > Archive > Election Forum Archive > [A] Election 2006
Google
nebraska29
US Senator Kay Bailey Hutchison has decided against challenging Governor Rick Perry in next year's GOP primary, according to her campaign manager. Instead, KBH will formally kick-off her re-election campaign at a rally on on June 27. Polls showed that Hutchison -- the most popular politician in the state -- had a good chance of ousting Perry. With Hutchison out of the race, State Comptroller Carole Keeton Strayhorn appears to be Perry's only major opponent for the GOP nomination.
(Politics1.com frontpage)

Questions to debate:
1.)Who will win this race?

2.)What major issues will decide who wins the primary?
Google
PACPanzer
QUOTE(nebraska29 @ Jun 22 2005, 08:40 PM)
US Senator Kay Bailey Hutchison has decided against challenging Governor Rick Perry in next year's GOP primary, according to her campaign manager. Instead, KBH will formally kick-off her re-election campaign at a rally on on June 27. Polls showed that Hutchison -- the most popular politician in the state -- had a good chance of ousting Perry. With Hutchison out of the race, State Comptroller Carole Keeton Strayhorn appears to be Perry's only major opponent for the GOP nomination.
(Politics1.com frontpage)

Questions to debate:

Perry could still win if he continues to do as good a job at "Teflonning Up" as he has in the past. You have to dig deep to see how fiscally irresponsible he has been with Texas Taxpayers. He and Bush inherited a $6 Billion surplus from Richards and now seem destined to lose $14 Billion by the end of Perry's current term - net loss of $20 Billion.

Perry has done nothing to lower taxes, reduce the deficit, or stop insurers from charging Texans more than ANY other state in the nation for auto and homowners insurance.

He was even caught on TV using profanity after an interview when he had just signed a bill the week before in a Texas Church. However, this is the only link to the comment I could find on the web:

The full story is available from the 'Austin Amercan- Statesman' which requires registration.

Perry: Banter inappropriate

Gov. Rick Perry told reporters Tuesday that he's guilty of "inappropriate banter" for a remark he made after a TV interview on Monday.

His words in question: "Adios, Mofo."

<snip>

link: http://www.statesman.com/search/search/adi...uery=adios+mofo

link to story about Perry signing anti-abortion bill in a Church: http://www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/06/06/texasbill.church.ap/

Perry's use of off-color remarks is not limited to this most recent episode. Only days before that, in touting his gay marriage ban, he suggested that gay soldiers returning from Iraq might want to find more 'lenient' states to live in.
BoF
Questions to debate:

It is probably to early to tell. I am personally so angry with Governor Rick Perry mad.gif that I may register as a Republican and vote for Strayhorn in the primary. I can then vote for the Democrat in the general election. Republicans used to do this when the Democrats controlled. I am a committed liberal Democrat, but I can also be cynical and Machiavellian, especially if it is to the detriment of Republicans.

PACPanzer did an excellent job enumerating many of Governor Rick Perry’s more egregious SINS. There is no need for me to reiterate what he wrote.

The best issue Carole Keeton Strayhorn has going for her is Rick Perry himself. It’s hard to characterize Perry. To me he seems a dour, almost lifeless person. A friend once said he was “dumber than a hammer.”

The elephant in the room in the current special session of the Texas Legislature is the Republican gubernatorial primary.

http://www.news8austin.com/content/your_ne...asp?ArID=139903

Perhaps one of the elephants is DUMBO, another apt description of Perry. Personally, I think of him as Bus[c]h Lite.

When Tom DeLay was supposed to be in Washington in the summer of 2003, he was, in fact, in Austin helping draw up a map for Texas Congressional redistricting. After, a spineless Governor Perry called three special sessions, DeLay finally got his way.

According to the Houston Chronicle:

AUSTIN -- The Texas Legislature provided the players and the subplots, but the fight over congressional redistricting has been U.S. House Majority Leader Tom DeLay's show from beginning to end.

<snip>

When state Republicans appeared to falter on redistricting last April, DeLay rushed to Austin with a demand that they take up the cause. He found willing allies in Gov. Rick Perry and House Speaker Tom Craddick, but Lt. Gov. David Dewhurst had described redistricting as welcome as a ‘contagious flu.’

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/m...politan/2148270

Here is a recap of the three special session dates:

July 28, 2003 78th Legislature, 2nd Called Session convenes. HB 1, HB 30, and SB 1, congressional redistricting bills, are filed.

<snip>

June 18, 2003 78th Legislature Governor Rick Perry calls a special session on congressional redistricting.

<snip>

September 15, 2003  78th Legislature, 3rd Called Session convenes. Senate Democrats return to floor of the Senate. The two-thirds rule is abandoned.

<snip>

October 12, 2003 Legislature passes HB 3, redistricting plan 1374C, in a 17-14 vote. Twelve Senate Democrats and two Senate Republicans vote against the bill.

http://www.lrl.state.tx.us/citizenResource...st2003chron.cfm

Then in April, 2004 Perry called another special session on school financing. This session ended in failure.

http://www.txla.org/pubs/texline/040413.html

It seems Perry was more concerned with what DeLay wanted than he was with the needs of Texas’ school kids.

The regular session of the Texas Legislature ended in May, 2005 without producing a school finance bill. Perry had said that he would not call a special session until there was agreement among Texas house and senate leaders. Then he vetoed the entire appropriation for school finance and called a special session.

According to R. A. Dyer of the Fort Worth Star Telegram’s Austin Bureau:

AUSTIN - In a high-stakes move designed to break a three-year impasse on school reform, Gov. Rick Perry on Saturday vetoed the entire $35.3 billion education budget and ordered lawmakers back this week for a special session.

<snip>

‘I recognize this is a bold step and, frankly, one I wrestled with,’ said Perry, who has drawn criticism for his leadership during the school-funding stalemate.

http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/news/legislature/11934362.htm

I would suggest that the bold move is calculated to save Perry’s worthless hide.

The special session started Tuesday (June 21, 2005) with no agreement among the state’s three top Republican “leaders.”

According to Jay Root and John Moritz also of the Fort Worth Star Telegram’s Austin Bureau:

AUSTIN - Gov. Rick Perry unveiled a school-finance plan that would cut property taxes and boost teacher pay Tuesday, but his fellow Republican leaders are already taking potshots at the way he proposes to pay for it.

<snip>

[Texas House Speaker Tom] Craddick said Perry's proposal to raise the homestead exemption would help only residential-property owners: ‘So you have problems out there if you're trying to do a balance’ that includes business-property owners, he said.

The speaker all but ruled out Perry's solution for fixing the state franchise tax.

<snip>

Divisions also have emerged between Perry and Dewhurst. Dewhurst suggested that the school-finance overhaul would require a true business-tax expansion -- a "broad-based, level-playing-field, low-rate business tax."

Dewhurst also indicated that Perry would have to fight an uphill battle to get his sales-tax proposal through the Senate. Key senators said in May that the chamber will not go above a 0.5 percentage point increase.

<snip>

Ignorance and arrogance are often found in the same individual at the same time. Perry’s rather blasé dismissal of opposition to his proposal is a case in point.

Perry brushed off the criticism, saying legislators will warm up to his plan once they start considering the alternatives.

http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/news/11955256.htm

Something’s rotten. Good news moif flowers.gif it’s not in Denmark this time, it’s in AUSTIN and its name is Rick Perry. There’s an old saying about when you find yourself in a hole, it’s time to stop digging. Apparently our governor hasn’t learned that lesson.

I predict this special session will also end in failure.

ISSUES? There is only one issue in this primary and that issue is OUR incompetent governor and his dismal record. sad.gif

Note: Fort Worth Star Telegram links require registration, but it’s free. smile.gif
nebraska29
Thanks for all of the information about Rick Perry. I had no clue that people were so disaffected with him. To be honest with you, my initial thoughts were that he's the incumbent and that they typically never lose a primary challenge. I know he was W's protege and that Strayhorn is McClellan's momma. The president has stated that he's neutral on this issue since he's friends with both candidates. I had no clue about the Texas budget going through the roof, his cussing gaffe, as well as intervening in the whole redistricting imbroglio. Wow, it might just be closer than I thought. With all that being said, I think Perry will survive since he's the incumbent and the party is very unlikely to change horses in mid-stream. I'll break the 2-2 tie and say that Perry will win. flowers.gif ph34r.gif us.gif
PACPanzer
Just a follow-up post on the Texas Gubernatorial election. It ought to be as "batty" as the airspace around the famous Congress Street bridge on a summer's eve where it is estimated that some 6,000,000 bats patiently wait in line to venture forth from the recesses of the quarter mile structure to hunt insects over Town Lake. The nightly excursion is quite a sight for those who've never seen or smelled a massive bat migration. The election should be just as smelly but not quite as impressive considering the choices.

I think this is a url to a news clip and the reporter's explanation of the events leading up to the Perry 'mofo' gaffe (don't think it requires registration):

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/news/062105_local_govperry.html

a little tongue in cheek remix of the Guv's comment:

http://rickperryremix.ytmnd.com/

Also now picked up by the Wonkette: http://www.wonkette.com/politics/republica...r-a-mofo-109551

Please disregard the pictures of Karl Rove in baby diapers if you're under 18 or have a weak stomach. I had no way to separate the lengthy Wonkete page structure to just show the 'mofo' article.

Perry is less vulnerable than he was before KBHutchinson dropped out of the Governor's race but with statements like these, how long will it be before he makes one with a Clayton Williams rating on the Richter Scale?

Look for BOTH the outspoken Republican Primary candidates to bellow quite frequently in the upcoming campaign. Should be a good one to watch. Kinky should have some good material for his blog site but it is doubtful that material will translate into votes.
BoF
Again I think the issue in the Republican primary will Governor Perry himself.

Texas has a growing Hispanic population and now Perry’s foot dragging has, in effect, disenfranchised voters in a heavily Hispanic district.

This doesn’t seem as we say here in Texas “right bright” for a Bush protégé. If the Governor continues to anger voters he may have to hire Karl Rove mad.gif to rough Strayhorn up like he did John McCain in South Carolina in 2000. If the posssibility of a Rove factor is taken out before 2006, I think Strayhorn has a real shot. In fact, I'm thinking of making a "Democrat for Strayhorn" bumper sticker on the computer. tongue.gif

AUSTIN - Democrats and voting-rights advocates are outraged that Gov. Rick Perry set a November election to replace late state Rep. Joe Moreno, leaving his heavily Hispanic Houston district without representation during special sessions on school finance.

'What this is doing is disenfranchising all those people and making them second-class citizens while one of the most important debates facing the state is going on in Austin,' said Ana Yanez Correa, who lobbies the Legislature on behalf of Hispanic causes.

<snip>

Under state law, special elections to fill vacancies in the Legislature should be set for the next uniform election date. But the law gives governors discretion on setting the date if the Legislature will be in regular session or if a special session appears imminent.

<snip>

State Rep. Jim Dunnam of Waco, chairman of the House Democratic Caucus, pointed out that the power to call a special session rests solely with the governor. And if Perry didn't realize in late May that a special session would probably be needed to complete a school-finance overhaul, he was the only one in Austin who didn't, Dunnam said. w00t.gif

‘Everyone knew by the middle of May that the school-finance plan was on life support," Dunnam said. "And Perry was saying all the while that if we didn't get it done [in the regular session], he'd call us right back.’

http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/news/12206297.htm

Fort Worth Star Telegram article requires free registration.

devil.gif Can't y'all just feel the love I have for our current governor?
BoF
Texas is the National Laboratory for Bad Government, and think what a splendid opportunity we now have to completely ruin our public schools by doing absolutely nothing.

http://www.funnytimes.com/notfunny/20040311MI.html

Although Ivins wrote this in 2003, her words have proved prophetic, more so than perhaps even she anticipated.

Let’s review Governor Rick Perry’s resume for reelection. He called three special sessions to do Tom DeLay’s dirty work in reapportioning Texas’ Congressional districts. Now, he’s called a third special session to fix Texas’ pubic school] finance system before [b]activist judges do it for him.

My political barometer tells me that people are getting fed up. In the interest of fairness, I will say that The Texas Constitution puts Perry in a weak position. Still I think people expect some leadership from the governor. It is true that he did present a plan when he called the second special session in June this year. The Governor’s plan included a .70 cent increase in the states sales tax, making it the highest in the nation. Great, a tax increase that hits the poor and middle class the hardest. This one provision made the Governor’s plan DOA.

Unless Perry is able to get a school plan through the legislature, I think he’s through.

At the height of the Watergate scandal, Nicholas Von Hoffman made the following statement about the soon to depart office Richard Nixon.

It was something like this: 'Ah, face it, Jack! Nixon's dead, past resurrection. He's nothing but a dead mouse on the country's kitchen floor, and the only question is, who's going to pick it up by the tail and drop it in the trash?'

http://fullcoverage.yahoo.com/s/ucjk/20050...ywriter/nc:2219

Borrowing from Von Hoffman, Perry seems a “dead mouse on the [Governor’s Mansion’s] kitchen floor."

Now, here’s the latest, and it’s difficult for me, even a skeptic like me, to believe.

On July 21’s the governor called a 2nd this session (and 3rd overall) special session on school finance. A week later the wheels have come off. According to this morning’s Fort Worth Star Telegram:

AUSTIN - Not long after his education overhaul bill imploded on the House floor, Arlington Republican Kent Grusendorf plopped down on a sunny park bench in front of the Capitol.

And there he took stock: The House had mounted an open mutiny; powerful interest groups were at war; Gov. Rick Perry's third special session on school finance was perilously close to collapse.

<snip>

Rep. Jim Pitts, a Craddick loyalist who sided against the Republican speaker on a key vote Tuesday, said it's time for state leaders to step back and reassess. ‘We need an exit strategy,’ Pitts, R-Waxahachie, said Wednesday.

We need to go home and listen to our constituents. What we're hearing from them during the brief times we do get to go home is that they don't like what's going on in Austin.

<snip>

‘Each of those three men is powerful enough to keep a measure from becoming law -- but they're not powerful enough to get something passed," said [John] Smithee, R-Amarillo.

‘It's absolutely futile,' he added. 'It's a waste of time and money to be calling special sessions. It's like throwing 52 cards in the air and assuming they'll all end up in perfect order when the fall.’

http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/news/legislature/12244071.htm

Link requires fre registration.

I really don’t know whether to laugh or cry. It’s like Barnum & Bailey has leased the statehouse. The elephants are in revolt. No longer marching trunk to tail they are wildly stampeding, tripping over themselves and everything else that gets in their way.

I’m utterly shocked that a Governor, who has presided over such a mess, would even consider placing his name on a reelection ballot.

Although Strayhorn is considered a loose cannon by some, she has a real chance. It seems Perry is not only shooting himself in the foot, but trying to blow it off with an assault rifle.

Edited to add:

[school] public school financing to the passage Hugo quoted.
Hugo
Let’s review Governor Rick Perry’s resume for reelection. He called three special sessions to do Tom DeLay’s dirty work in reapportioning Texas’ Congressional districts. Now, he’s called a third special session to fix Texas’ pubic finance system before activist judges do it for him.

I hate to tell BoF this but Republicans do not hold Perry's assisting Delay against him. I guess if enough Democrats vote in the Republican primary Strayhorn might have a chance. In the absence of a totally uncompetitive Democratic primary case that is unlikely.

I do confess I am totally against government being involved in pubic financing. I do need to familiarize myself with Perry's stand on pubic financing.
BoF
QUOTE(Hugo @ Jul 28 2005, 05:41 PM)
I hate to tell BoF this but Republicans do not hold Perry's assisting Delay against him. I guess if enough Democrats vote in the Republican primary Strayhorn might have a chance. In the absence of a totally uncompetitive Democratic primary case that is unlikely.

I do confess I am totally against government being involved in pubic financing. I do need to familiarize myself with Perry's stand on pubic financing.

I think there are some nominal Repubicans who think Perry erred in calling three special sessions to deal with Tom Delay's shenanigan b-e-f-o-r-e calling even one on school finance.

I hate to tell you this Hugo but regardless of what you think, public education in Texas WILL be funded one way or the other.

You may, however, be right. Perhaps Perry's incompetence may be rewarded with reelection. This would be strange for a party that seems to think everyone else should be rewarded according to performance. rolleyes.gif
Hugo
QUOTE(BoF @ Jul 28 2005, 06:59 PM)
QUOTE(Hugo @ Jul 28 2005, 05:41 PM)

I think there are some nominal Repubicans who think Perry erred in calling three special sessions to deal with Tom Delay's shenanigan b-e-f-o-r-e calling even one on school finance.

I hate to tell you this Hugo but regardless of what you think, public education in Texas WILL be funded one way or the other.

You may, however, be right. Perhaps Perry's incompetence may be rewarded with reelection. This would be strange for a party that seems to think everyone else should be rewarded according to performance. rolleyes.gif

Yes. public education will be financed regardless. It ain't no big issue.The only one who could have beat Perry, in the Republican primary, was Kay. She ain't running.

Now , in the general election I think John Sharp could beat him. I suggest you put your efforts behind Sharp. I voted for Sharp over Perry before. He is the one Democrat in Texas who can win.

The fact is Perry wasn't worth a crap before he won the governorship. The fact he still ain't worth a crap will not influence Republican voters.
Google
BoF
QUOTE(Hugo)
Yes. public education will be financed regardless. It ain't no big issue.The only one who could have beat Perry, in the Republican primary, was Kay. She ain't running.

Considering that we are waiting for the Texas Supreme Court to either confirm or overturn a lower court that rejected Robin Hood, and that this the third special Perry has called on the matter, I think it is a big deal. It Republicans are truly not interested in public education, it doesn’t say much for them. dry.gif

Now , in the general election I think John Sharp could beat him. I suggest you put your efforts behind Sharp. I voted for Sharp over Perry before. He is the one Democrat in Texas who can win.

Some Democrats may vote for Strayhorn in the Republican Primary and then vote for Sharp, or whoever, in the general election.

Strayhorn is already raising money from traditional Democratic donors such as trial lawyers.

http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/news/state/12253698.htm

Fort Worth Star Telegram link requires registration.

FACT CHECK: Actually Sharp ran against David Dewhurst, for Lt. Governor, not against Perry in 2002. Tony Sanchez was the Democratic nominee. Remember? Did you vote for him, too? smile.gif

http://www.austinchronicle.com/issues/disp...ls_feature.html

The fact is Perry wasn't worth a crap before he won the governorship. The fact he still ain't worth a crap will not influence Republican voters.

Well, finally, we agree on something. I'd give it a slightly different twist though, Perry is a piece of crap.

Perry has also picked up an new Democratic opponent—former Texas Congressman Rick Bell, who filed an ethic complaint against tom DeLay.

Bell, doesn’t have much of a chance, but I love this line:w00t.gif

QUOTE(Chris Bell)
[Rick Perry] couldn't lead a silent prayer.

Same FWST source as above.

BTW: An occasional ain’t is good for emphasis, but it's easily overdone. blink.gif
Hugo
FACT CHECK: Actually Sharp ran against David Dewhurst, for Lt. Governor, not against Perry in 2002. Tony Sanchez was the Democratic nominee. Remember? Did you vote for him, too? smile.gif

I've been a Texan a few years. Do you remember the Lieutenant Governor's race in 1998? Fact: Perry and Sharp opposed each other in 1998.

Lieutenant Governor 1998
Rick Perry REP 1,858,837 50.04%
John Sharp DEM 1,790,106 48.19%
Anthony Garcia LIB 65,150 1.75%

It seems like Perry is making quite an effort to get school financing done. I am sure Texas children will have textbooks this year. If Perry is so weak it seems like the Democrats would prefer to face him over Strayhorn in the general election.

Latest polls

Perry Leads Strayhorn in Texas Primary Poll; Texas Gov. Perry Polling Twice as High as Comptroller

7/12/2005 7:00:00 AM

AUSTIN, Texas, July 12 /U.S. Newswire/ -- Texas Republican primary voters would support incumbent Governor Rick Perry over State Comptroller Carole Keeton Strayhorn by a two-to-one margin, according to a recent poll. .....................

In the poll, respondents were asked how they would vote in a gubernatorial primary featuring Gov. Perry and Comptroller Strayhorn. 54.8 percent said they would vote for Perry, compared to 28.9 percent who said they would support Strayhorn.

The power of the incumbancy will get Perry through the primary, against Strayhorn, he is vulnerable in a general election. Particularly if Strayhorn goes negative in the primary.
BoF
QUOTE(hugo)
I've been a Texan a few years. Do you remember the Lieutenant Governor's race in 1998? Fact: Perry and Sharp opposed each other in 1998.

Yes, Perry and Sharp did face each other in the 1998 Lt. Governor’s race, but we were talking about this in context of the Governor’s race. You need to be more specific and pinpoint your statements.

Sharp may well be the strongest candidate. He has been Comptroller of Public Accounts, but he’s run two successive unsuccessful races for Lt. Governor. If he loses this one he may be the William Jennings Bryant of Texas politics.

The best thing Sharp and other Democrats have going for them in 2006, is the royal mess Republicans have made of nearly everything they’ve touched lately. I'm not going to rehash Republican failures in Texas. I've already done that on other posts in this thread. My vision of Perry is the child sitting in the corner wearing the pointed cap. He, not issues, will be the focus of the 2006 campaigns, both the Republican primary and the general election. I welcome Strayhorn’s opposition. Even if she loses, she gets to portray our "beloved" gov as the buffoon he is and forces him to spend money that might otherwise be spent in the general election.

Again, I don’t see how Perry has the nerve to put his name on a ballot.
Hugo
QUOTE(BoF @ Jul 31 2005, 12:08 PM)
QUOTE(hugo)

Yes, Perry and Sharp did face each other in the 1998 Lt. Governor’s race, but we were talking about this in context of the Governor’s race. You need to be more specific and pinpoint your statements.

Sharp may well be the strongest candidate. He has been Comptroller of Public Accounts, but he’s run two successive unsuccessful races for Lt. Governor. If he loses this one he may be the William Jennings Bryant of Texas politics.

The best thing Sharp and other Democrats have going for them in 2006, is the royal mess Republicans have made of nearly everything they’ve touched lately. I'm not going to rehash Republican failures in Texas. I've already done that on other posts in this thread. My vision of Perry is the child sitting in the corner wearing the pointed cap. He, not issues, will be the focus of the 2006 campaigns, both the Republican primary and the general election. I welcome Strayhorn’s opposition. Even if she loses, she gets to portray our "beloved" gov as the buffoon he is and forces him to spend money that might otherwise be spent in the general election.

Again, I don’t see how Perry has the nerve to put his name on a ballot.

Since Perry and Sharp have only opposed each other once, I was being pretty specific when I stated that I had voted for Sharp over Perry. Sorry, I assumed you were aware of the "98 election. Since you argue that the major issue in the campaign will be Rick Perry himself , his potential political opponent's, in this case Sharp, ability to reign in independent and unhappy Republican voters will be key if the Democrats wish to reverse a string of defeats. Yes, Sharp's losses have been part of that string. However, his race against both Perry and Dewhurst were tight. He is the only candidate that can deliver the governorship to the Democrats. I'd be supporting him if I was you.

I realize you are upset at Republican gerrymandering. I got news gerrymandering never draws strong opposition from the primary voters whose party benefits from the gerrymandering.

The fact that Strayhorn was formerly a Democrat ain't going to help her much in the primaries.

Let me quote Strayhorn...from her announcement speech.

I am not a weak leadin’, ethics ignorin’, pointin’ the finger at everyone blamin’, special session callin’, public school slashin’, slush fund spendin’, toll road buildin’, special interest panderin’, rainy day fund raidin’, fee increasin’, no property tax cuttin’, promise breakin’, do-nothin’ Rick Perry phony conservative.

I think I know what issues she hopes the primary will revolve around.
VDemosthenes

- Stance on abortion, be it prolife, partial birth or a woman's right to her body? The issue has been thrust into the spotlight a lot lately and shall make or break a person in a small percentage of the public's eye.

- Flat taxes or modified tax brackets for income shall render a hurdle for the '06 run because taxes were highlighted in the 2,004 presidential run.

- Of course the old standby: who has a better political resume? Like the real estate maxim "location, location, location," all the public wants to know is "background, background, background," of the opponent.

Other issues that might pop up:

- Military expansions/reductions

- Affirmative action

- Drugs and crime reduction

- Education

- Supporting Israel

- Environmental plan

- Views on Civil Liberties

BoF
QUOTE(Hugo @ Jul 31 2005, 01:34 PM)
I realize you are upset at Republican gerrymandering. I got news gerrymandering never draws strong opposition from the primary voters whose party benefits from the gerrymandering.

It's not so much the gerrymandering as it is that Perry let Tom DeLay come from Washington and work the actively in the statehouse to produce the map. Perry should have DeLay told to go back to Washington

The fact that Strayhorn was formerly a Democrat ain't going to help her much in the primaries.

Perry served on the State Board of Education until 1986. In 1984, he was elected to the state legislature as a representative of Haskell, Texas. He served on the important House Appropriations and Calendars Committees during his three terms as state legislator. In 1989, the Dallas Morning News named him one of the most effective legislators in the 71st legislature. Perry then switch parties, from the Democratic Party to the Republican Party in order to run for Commissioner of Agriculture in 1990, where he eventually defeated future radio talk-show host Jim Hightower. He served in that position until he became Lieutenant Governor in 1998 under George W. Bush.

http://www.nationmaster.com/encyclopedia/Rick-Perry

Former Senator Phil Gramm and the late former Texas Governor, John Connally were also Democrats who made the split. Republicans turned a deaf ear to both men's presidential aspirations, but I'm not sure that carries over to state politics.

Essentially you have two former Democrats facing each other in the 2006 Republican Primary.

I'm keeping my options open. Any money I donate will be to Democratic candidates. I may vote for Strayhorn in the Republican primary and then switch to the Democrat in the general election.

Edited to add:

In fact, Hugo, Strayhorn has been a Republican about five years longer than Perry.

Carole Keeton Strayhorn (formerly McClellan, formerly Rylander) is the Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts since 1998 (re-elected 2002). A longtime Democrat, Strayhorn switched affiliation to the Republican Party in 1985.

http://www.answers.com/topic/carole-keeton-strayhorn

Hugo
I suggest that everyone check out the Rick Perry for governor and Strayhorn for governor websites. What you see is Strayhorn attacking Perry's record and Perry attempting to frame Strayhorn as a wolf in sheep's clothing (a Democrat). If Perry could be accused of being a Democrat my guess is BoF would not be so fervently against him. The fact that many Democrats are siding with Straynor gives credence to Perry's claim that Straynor is a closet Democrat. I don't expect enough Demo's to cross party lines to defeat Perry in the primary.

I mean does anyone seriously believe BoF would be supporting the candidate further away from the standard Democrat positions?
BoF
QUOTE(Hugo @ Jul 31 2005, 01:34 PM)

Hugo,

You originally said "formerly a Democrat." As I pointed out, both of them are former Democrats.

QUOTE(Hugo @ Jul 31 2005, 07:21 PM)
I suggest that everyone check out the Rick Perry for governor and Strayhorn for governor websites. What you see is Strayhorn attacking Perry's record and Perry attempting to frame Strayhorn as a wolf in sheep's clothing (a Democrat).

Now, you've moved the basket. Are you suggesting that Strayhorn is really a Democrat? This is almost like asking someone who doesn't like soda pop to do a "Coke" vs. "Pepsi" taste test.

Actually, I don't care for either of them, but Perry has proved his uslessness, so we might as well give Strayhorn a chance to do the same.

This is your weakest argument yet on this thread. A candidate's webpage is absolutely the worst place to look for informaion. I haven't looked at either page, but Perry's record, is part of what he will have to run on. There's very little positive in Perry's record, so the smokscreen about Strayhorn's party allegiance is about all the gov has left. Supposition regarding Strayhorn's party loyalty is just that. Is Karl Rove running Perry's campaign? sad.gif
Hugo
The candidates web page may not be a great place to look for information...but it is a pretty darn good place to look for what each campaign's issues are. It is quite clear that the Perry campaign will attempt to paint Strayhorn as a trial lawyer lovin' closet Democrat. Perry has the incumbancy edge, and a nearly 2-1 advantage in the latest poll over Strayhorn. The partisan issues that infuriate BoF are simply...partisan issues. Strayhorn has no chance in hades of getting the nomination. The only question is if she will recognize that in time to assist Perry in November.

Of course, Bof gave the standard reference to Rove, as though campaign managers can consistently (in Texas since 1994, I guess) can convince individuals to vote for a platform that is against their best interest.
BoF
QUOTE(Hugo @ Jul 31 2005, 08:01 PM)
Of course, Bof gave the standard reference to Rove, as though campaign managers can consistently (in Texas since 1994, I guess) can convince individuals to vote for a platform that is against their best interest.

Hugo,

Actually, Rove’s “work” (I'm trying to playh nice here innocent.gif) goes back further than 1994. He did, in fact, run Perry's campaign for Agriculture Commissioner in 1990. Perry took office in 1991. I doubt Rove is officially taking clients now that he’s Bush’s Deputy Chief of Staff, but Perry and his team seem to have learned well. The tactics they are using to attack Strayhorn, rather than run on an indefensible record, are sort of Rove trade marks.

Also, Hugo, it appears we are the only two debating this primary, so why are you addressing your remarks to a larger audience, rather than to me personally?

In the summer of 1989, pending indictments against two aides to Hightower–who used his office to attack what he called "the bullies, bankers, bastards and tort reformers" who run the state–were announced in Washington. But it wasn’t Rampton or any other Justice Department official who announced them. It was Karl Rove, the political consultant working for Hightower’s Republican opponent, Rick Perry.

Hightower refuses to discuss the incident. Rove later admitted under oath that he had met with Rampton during the summer of 1989 "regarding a probe of political corruption in the office of Texas agriculture commissioner Jim Hightower." And in June of 1990, Perry sent out a fundraising letter claiming that Hightower’s office was rife with corruption and was under investigation by the FBI, though there were no indictments until after the 1991 general election, in which Hightower lost his re-election bid.

http://www.texasobserver.org/showArticle.asp?ArticleID=398

QUOTE(Hugo)
The partisan issues that infuriate BoF are simply...partisan issues.

Again, Hugo, you are talking past me to a wider audience, not debating. As for being partisan, "pot call the kettle black.” rolleyes.gif

Despite anything, partisan or otherwise, that I've said about Perry, I think the "blue ribbon" still goes to you for this line:

QUOTE(Hugo @ Jul 30 2005, 08:57 PM)

While this is a great descriptive two sentences, it isn't much of an endorsement by a Republican for a fellow Republican's reelecton and it says even less for the intelligence or integrity of potential Texas Republican voters.
Hugo
Not sure if you can call me partisan when I think the odds are we will both be voting against Perry in 2006. My main point is that Tom Delay, and his shenanigans, is a partisan issue that will not effect the vast majority of those who vote in the Republican primary. That's getting out your base material for the general election.

I'm not exactly a diehard Republican. Certainly far from a straight ticket Republican. I've recently declared myself a Republican because I was tired of the typical nutty Libertarian candidates and found the Liberty Caucus in the Republican Party a group I can work with. Perry is not a very good candidate. Strayhorn is a better candidate. She won't win. The power of the incumbancy will prevail for the nomination. I do think a solid conservative Democrat, with name recognition, can beat Perry in the general election. That is going out on a limb since a Democrat has not won a major statewide office for over a decade. I believe you are the partisan diehard,Bof, not me. I would not vote for a C student who filed for a purple heart after being wounded in the rear end by a grain of rice regardless of party. Sadly, most partisans are...er...partisans. The point is the question in this poll is who will win...the answer is Rick "Not worth a crap" Perry. There aren't 25% of voter, in a typical primary, who don't vote based on blind loyalty or 30 second soundbites.

In a public forum I alwys assume the possibility someone else will join the debate.
BoF
QUOTE(Hugo @ Jul 31 2005, 10:26 PM)
My main point is that Tom Delay, and his shenanigans, is a partisan issue that will not effect the vast majority of those who vote in the Republican primary. That's getting out your base material for the general election.

Why did Tom DeLay park his hide in the state's legislative chambers when he's elected to represent a Congressional District in Sugar Land. Surely, Perry could have told DeLay to pack up and go back to Washington.

That is going out on a limb since a Democrat has not won a major statewide office for over a decade.

It is good to know that you are not supporting Perry. The equalizer may be that Perry, as far as I can tell, has little positive record of accomplishment, since he entered the Governor's Mansion. Whether you think it is important or not, he still has to deal with public school finance. As of now, that ain't, as you say, going too well. Were still about seven months away fom the primaries and 15 months away from the general elections. At the rate Perry is going, he can still anger a lot of people. Can you (or since you mention it, anyone) honestly tell me something he's done--some overriding accomplishment--that would make him deserving of another term?

My dislike of Perry goes much deeper than just letting Tom DeLay control state politics. It has to do with matters like my health insurance premiums increasing from $168 per month to $280 per month; while my copays have doubled under his watch--more money for less insurance. sad.gif I can assure you that Perry doesn't have a lot of fans among retired public school teachers. Unfortunately, we don't have a strong lobby.

I really don't like Strayhorn, either. A couple of years ago she tried to lift the tax exempt status of a Unitarian Church, because they didn't have a defined "creed." mad.gif

Who says a church has to have a creed that suits the Comptroller of Public Accounts. After receiving a lot of flack on the issue--bad press, angry letters and phone calls, including a rather harsh call I made to her Austin office, she dropped the plan.
BoF
QUOTE(Hugo @ Jul 30 2005, 08:57 PM)

UPDATE

While you may not think Texas’ public education funding is important Hugo, apparently Governor Rick Perry does think so. He is now willing to compromise, that is, get school funding, but not property tax relief. What really amuses me is that the governor seems to assume that voters will take it out on lawmakers, most of them are Republican, BTW, and not him.

I don’t know if it’s arrogance or ignorance or a combination of both on Perry’s part, but he seems to be saying that he has the same Teflon coating we found in Reagan and now find in Bush. I’m reminded of the thing about "pride goes before a fall." Whether it happens in 2006 or later, the gov is in for a hard fall.

AUSTIN _ With yet another legislative session teetering on the brink of failure, Gov. Rick Perry indicated Monday he would welcome a partial solution that includes new education funding now, even if Texans have to wait a little longer for property tax relief.

<snip>

He said lawmakers would have to face the wrath of the electorate if they don't provide tax relief to property owners right away. The primary elections are scheduled for March and the general election will be in November 2006.

’There's going to be an election in the not-too-distant future,’ Perry said. ‘We can either do it now or we will talk about it in March and November of 2006.’

http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/news/legislature/12277601.htm

Link requires registration.
BoF
UPDATE:

QUOTE(Jay Root FWST Austin Bureau)
AUSTIN - For almost 30 years, Texas governors running for re-election have been able to count on one sure thing: their own party's nomination.

<snip>

The Perry camp woke up to a vivid reminder Aug. 22, when Comptroller Carole Keeton Strayhorn fired off the first wave of broadcast advertising in the race -- radio attack spots that the Perry campaign estimated cost over $600,000.

<snip>

Although Democrats have not won a statewide office in years, Ramsey, the Texas Weekly editor, said that a Democrat could put up a stronger-than-usual fight against Perry next year if he emerges bruised from his own primary. Former U.S. Rep. Chris Bell, D-Houston, recently announced his bid for the office and others, including former Comptroller John Sharp, are said to be considering it.

Also running is Kinky Friedman, the humorist and entertainer who is trying to get on the ballot as an independent. He recently hired the strategist who helped get former wrestler Jesse Ventura elected governor of Minnesota.

http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/news/state/12504645.htm

Fort Worth Star Telegram link requires registration.

After one failed regular legislative session and two failed special sessions it appears Gov. Rick Perry has a tiger by the tail. Even if he wins the Republican primary, it’s heartening to know that he’s going to have to spend a substantial portion of his war chest just to win his own party’s primary, meaning less to spend against a Democratic challenger.

Further, Strayhorn is going to spend a large chunk of change trying to defeat Perry. Ah, Republicans devouring Republicans. To echo Jackie Gleason, "how sweet it is." smile.gif

This couldn’t happen to a “nicer” devil.gif guy.
nebraska29
Haven't seen any poll numbers as of late, but I found that according to the Daily Kos, Perrry went from a negative 17 rating to a positive 3 in dealing with the Hurricanes. Not certain how this will work for him against his primary foe, but it will be interesting to see. us.gif
BoF
The bad news is, that Perry did gain points by his handeling of hurricane rita.

More bad news is that Perry seemingly bought off strongest possible Democratic opponent John Sharp by appointing him to a panel on state taxation. I saw an article in the paper a month ago that said Sharp would not run.

I found this appointment on Democratic challenger Chris Bell’s webpage.

http://www.chrisbell.com/

Remember Bell is a former Texas Congressman who filed an ethics complaint against Tom DeLay. ph34r.gif

The good news is that Perry still has not come up with an education proposal that his fellow Republicans will sign onto. In fact, in today’s edition, The Fort worth Star Telegram wrote one of the most scathing indictments of Perry that I have ever seen in my hometown paper.

A panel of educators and other interested Texans has begun meeting with Education Commissioner Shirley Neeley in an effort to figure out how to implement Gov. Rick Perry's August edict that all of the state's public schools spend at least 65 percent of their money on direct classroom instruction.
That's noble of them, given that this is strictly a political exercise meant to make Perry look good, with absolutely no grounding in state law or the real-world imperatives of helping children learn.

<snip>

Under Perry's executive order, classroom spending would include such things as teacher salaries, textbooks, supplies and technology. Even spending on the football team would be included in the 65 percent. (This is Texas, after all.)
But school counselors, librarians, nurses, bus drivers, custodians, building maintenance, heating and air conditioning and other utility costs would not fit the definition. Nor would the salaries of such apparently expendable people as elementary school principals.

<snip>

There is absolutely nothing in the Texas Constitution or state law that gives Perry the authority to impose such a requirement. Only the Legislature has that authority, and so far lawmakers have not delegated it to anyone.

<snip>

Here's a better suggestion: Send the whole idea to the Legislature first. See if the elected representatives of the people of Texas, not just a governor who is in the middle of a re-election campaign, want to see it put into action.

http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/news/editorial/12976931.htm

The possible good news is that Perry still has time to mess us, particularly with education funding. Although I suspect he will beat Strayhorn in the Republican primary, I hope she runs a sufficient race to drain Perry’s sizeable war chest.

Hopefully by then Bell or some other Democrat will have a chance to beat him. smile.gif
nebraska29
Visited Strayhorn's campaign website. There is some Texas spice in this campaign!. Politicians slam their opponents, but calling someone a "do nothin' drug store cowboy" is fightin' words. wink.gif On a more serious note, education does seem to be a big issue with Strayhorn.

You know that this Governor’s administration has increased spending to its highest level ever --- while dollars going to our children and our teachers are at their lowest level ever.

And you know that Texas property belongs to Texans, not foreign companies.

We will not sit quietly by and let this Governor embark on the most historic land grab in history and cram toll roads down our throats.

This is not the Texas way, and it cannot continue.

Texas is great, but we can do better.

Now is time to replace this do-nothin’ Drugstore Cowboy with One Tough Grandma.

tjconan
Change is in the wind. I know personally that my father-in-law, my father, my mother, and it seems all the distant relatives (all die hard republicans) are so upset with Perry and his poor decisions that they just want to see him out, that is coming from someone who has an elected official as a relative. thumbsup.gif And we are talking about good ol' west Texas boys. Perry has lost touch with his base supporters, there is no denying that. It's just nice to be on the same side as my family for once since most of the time I am criticized for being too liberal.
BoF
This thread is probably obsolete.

Strayhorn has decided to run an an independent and is busy collecting signatures to get on the ballot. As of now it looks like the candidates will be Perry, Strayhorn, Freeman and one of two Democrats.

http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/news/13538311.htm

Link may require registration.
Amlord
CLOSED.

The questions for debate are now obsolete, since Strayhorn is no longer in the Republican primary.

If you would like to start a new topic dealing with the general Texas governor's race, feel free to do so.

This is a simplified version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2021 Invision Power Services, Inc.