Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Flag Desecration
America's Debate > Archive > Policy Debate Archive > [A] Domestic Policy
Google
Christopher
Just how would it work anyways? Will there be a designated flag size? What about materials, certain weight cotton only--go to prison for polyester?
If I have a bumper sticker flag can I burn that, or is it a flag.
Can I tear the t-shirt with flag off someone who got tobasco on it during lunch?
What If I print a flag with only 48 stars--you know what my intent is--can I be arrested--after all I didn't actually burn a flag , now did I? but i meant to didn't I?
Would i be arrested for intent to desecrate a flag and aggravated flaming?

Can I place someone whose flag decal on their truck is faded under citizens arrest? Will there be a bounty?

What if I draw flags--very accurate images of them-- on index cards and then burn those--will I go to Folsom--I know the song. Attica Attica.......
What about flags printed on bikinis--confiscation perhaps?

How about if I place an flag in a jar of pickle brine for storage? Is that desecration?

Is it even reasonable to believe this can be enforced without becoming a fiasco?

How would you go about it?
Google
nebraska29
QUOTE(christopher @ Jun 22 2005, 11:00 PM)
Just how would it work anyways? Will there be a designated flag size? What about materials,  certain weight cotton only--go to prison for polyester?
If I have a bumper sticker flag can I burn that, or is it a flag.
Can I tear the t-shirt with flag off someone who got tobasco on it during lunch?
What If I print a flag with only 48 stars--you know what my intent is--can I be arrested--after all I didn't actually burn a flag , now did I? but i meant to didn't I?
Would i be arrested for intent to desecrate a flag and aggravated flaming?

Can I place someone whose flag decal on their truck is faded under citizens arrest? Will there be a bounty?

What if I draw flags--very accurate images of them-- on index cards and then burn those--will I go to Folsom--I know the song. Attica Attica.......
What about flags printed on bikinis--confiscation perhaps?

How about if I place an flag in a jar of pickle brine for storage? Is that desecration?

Is it even reasonable to believe this can be enforced without becoming a fiasco?

You truly have a valid point here. If you put a flag in a pickle jar and take out in public, I would imagine that you would be guilty of desecrating the flag in a "passive-aggressive" manner. I would imagine that it could be maintained that you broke the law by messing it with it in an unnatural way.

You are correct-it cannot be seriously maintained that it will be enforceable without becoming a joke. Your bumper-sticker and bikini analogy bear that out. If I'm arrested for burning a bumper-sticker, I'm certain a judge will throw it out if it can be shown that people who have American flag designs sown on the bottom of their jeans or on swimsuits, aren't likewise prosecuted. I give it little chance of being enforceable in a common sense way before ultimately ending up like a train wreck.
Wertz

Of course it's not reasonable. This whole thing is a dog and pony show. At best, it is a hollow display of facile "patriotism" on the part of self-serving politicians. At worst, it will be used as a red herring law - enforced only to punish only those that displease the ruling elite, but who cannot be brought up on other charges.

The existing Federal Flag Code already contains the following:

Sec. 4 (d) The flag should never be used as wearing apparel, bedding, or drapery.

(e) The flag should never be fastened, displayed, used, or stored in such a manner as to permit it to be easily torn, soiled, or damaged in any way.

(g) The flag should never have placed upon it, nor on any part of it, nor attached to it any mark, insignia, letter, word, figure, design, picture, or drawing of any nature.

(i) The flag should never be used for advertising purposes in any manner whatsoever. It should not be embroidered on such articles as cushions or handkerchiefs and the like, printed or otherwise impressed on paper napkins or boxes or anything that is designed for temporary use and discard.

(j) No part of the flag should ever be used as a costume or athletic uniform.

How often is any of the above enforced? On the basis of Sec. 4 (e), attaching a flag to the window of an SUV is a crime. On the basis of Sec. 4 (g), every "patriotic" website on the internet that uses the stars and stripes as a background or header is guilty of flag desecration. And on the basis of Sec. 4 (i), every Fourth of July picnic item on the market is in violation of the law - as is every business card or mailing label that includes a flag, not to mention almost every political campaign item in existence. And let's not even consider the flag on door mats, coasters, and toilet paper!

This amendment is nonsense from start to finish - a waste of Congress's time and taxpayer money.

I wouldn't.
AuthorMusician
Wertz, I saw a half torn off flag sticker on a busy mom's SUV the other day, and thought what a great target for the rabid right. Bust that struggling mom, throw her in the slammer, and get her kids into foster care where the taxpayers can foot the bill, and the kids can be put at risk for abuse.

Then later, the warped little darlings will commit crimes and be tossed into the slammer like their disgusting con mother, thus destroying their chances for becoming productive members of society.

Meanwhile, the taboo budget cut subject in Colorado is to decriminalize drug use, thus saving a bundle on prisons. Nope, can't do that! But support for the above mentioned mom and kids can go, along with higher education for the kids.

As for the questions of debate, I'll just stand by the answers Wertz gave. This proposed amendment makes less sense than the marriage amendment trick, which you don't hear much about any longer.

And you don't hear anything about activist judges allowing gay marriages, so the logical question to have this time around is:

Who will the Republicans hire to burn some flags to stirr up buzz on the subject?

Not that I don't trust these guys dry.gif
Google
This is a simplified version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.