Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Federalism in Iraq
America's Debate > Archive > Assorted Issues Archive > [A] International Debate
Google
crashfourit
In acordence with world events involving Iraq and them writing a permanent constitution, and more specifically the role of federalism in their constitution and government (topics for debate follow)....

1. Should Iraq adopt a federal form of government? Why or Why not?
  2. If so, what type of federal government should they adopt? How should they implement it?
  3. What are the ramifications of them adopting a federal system of government (good, bad, or indifferent)?

(edited to add: Might need to be moved to the Interational debate section. Sorry... ^^; Thanks for moving it admins! flowers.gif )
Google
Beetlemeetle
Should Iraq adopt a federal form of government? Why or Why not?
If so, what type of federal government should they adopt? How should they implement it?
What are the ramifications of them adopting a federal system of government (good, bad, or indifferent)?

I think Iraq should have a limited form of federalism, but with the federal government very much taking precedence over the states.
I think the it should basically be split 3 ways, into Sunni, Shia and Kurd dominated areas as a first approximation, although perhaps into a greater number (say 10 or so) states might give a greater say to minorities such as Turkmen etc.

The largest issue will be how to deal with oil wealth (i.e. the Shia and Kurds have it, the Sunnis do not), so I suspect that the federal government would need to take a large amount of this wealth and redistribute it. However, without a strong federal government to hold the system together, I think it is quite likely that the Kurds & Shias will simply declare themselves independent (or highly autonomous) from 'Iraq'. If the Middle East were a more peaceful place, then I might support this idea, but as it is, Iran would become the defacto ruler of the Shia state and Turkey would probably consider military options to prevent ANY Kurdish state from forming. The Sunnis would then be left with a barren desert...

Amlord
We had a thread here a few years ago regarding the federalist system of Switzerland as it would apply to Iraq. It has long been archived HERE

My post was this:

The federalist system provides for basic freedoms (differing, perhaps, in the several states) along with a "national" framework which prevents oppression of any mainstream minority group (universally hated minorities, of course, are always in trouble).

A federalist type system would allow individual groups of Iraqis to oppose each other peacefully, while at the same time they work together to solve national problems.

Sort of like the US started out, before the Supreme Court flexed its self-fabricated muscles and made all states conform to overbroad federal laws and regulations...

Sorry, that last bit was a bit off-target.

A federal system seems the best way to integrate differing groups without putting them at the mercy of the (formerly oppressed) majority.
Google
This is a simplified version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2021 Invision Power Services, Inc.