Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: As goes the Second District of Ohio...?
America's Debate > Archive > Election Forum Archive > [A] Election 2006
Google
The Boney King of Nowhere.
A Republican, Jean Schmidt, beat Democrat Paul Hackett by only 3.5% of the total vote in a Republican heavy Ohio district in a special election for the U.S. House of Representatives. What's surprising is that 64% of the vote in the Second District of Ohio went to Bush in 2004 but Hackett, an Iraq War veteran who was extremely critical of Bush's handling of the War throughout the campaign, managed to get 48.25% of the vote in the special election. Perhaps this is indicative of a public shift away from Bush or maybe it means nothing at all. After all, Paul Hackett is a charismatic war veteran who managed to garner national attention. His opponent, Schmidt was described by the New York Times as "small, wiry, and intense, she exudes seriousness"-- not exactly an electrifying candidate.

Chicago Sun Times link
Wikipedia link

Questions for debate:

1. Do the results of this special election possibly predict anything in terms of the 2006 general election?

2. How can one explain Hackett's "success"?

3. As of now, which party is in a better position to win seats in Congress?
Google
kalabus
1. Do the results of this special election possibly predict anything in terms of the 2006 general election?

Probably not which is something I say sadly. Ohio is a special case because the Ohio republican party has been rocked by a series of scandals.

I do see that people are turning against the war but this was a special election with major media spotlights and Hackett did well because of this. I think he would lose if he ran in 06 against Schmidt. I think of Hackett runs against Dewine for the senator spot that he could win though as he is more then a tourist attraction if anyone has ever seen him speak before.

2. How can one explain Hackett's "success"? Mainly because the Ohio republican party is not a hot commodity in Ohio. Governor/criminal Taft has the lowest approval ratings in the nation for a governor and Dewine and Voinavich have some of the lowest senate approval ratings as well. Plus people are not satisfied with the Iraq war.

3. As of now, which party is in a better position to win seats in Congress?
Looking at 06 I think the democrats will pick up 1 to 3 seats in the senate but I think 3 would be a stretch. I also think a few house races are in play but 06 is going to do little to curve the republican majority.
Google
This is a simplified version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2021 Invision Power Services, Inc.