Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Emergency Management
America's Debate > Archive > Policy Debate Archive > [A] Domestic Policy
Google
crashfourit
"I haven't heard any governors say 'That's a great idea. I'll give up my power to an unelected general to oversee my state.' That would be a significant, almost revolutionary change in government policy and practice . . . You're going to have a pushback from governors, county executives, mayors, fire chiefs, police chiefs all up and down the emergency--management structure . . ."

NGA Chairman Arkansas Governor Mike Huckabee
Knight Ridder Newspapers
"People could have taken the impression that we in Mississippi need the federal government to come in and take over what we're doing, that we need some kind of czar to tell us how to run Mississippi.  We don't need that. In fact, that wouldn't help us. That would hurt us. Right now we Mississippians are proving to the world that we're resilient, self-reliant people who want to help our neighbors, who are selfless and courageous, and we don't need the federal government to come in and take over what we're doing."

Mississippi Governor Haley Barbour
Live with Larry King
"I can say with certainty that federalizing emergency response to catastrophic events would be a disaster as bad as Hurricane Katrina. Just as all politics are local, so are all disasters. The most effective response is one that starts at the local level and grows with the support of surrounding communities, the state and then the federal government. The bottom-up approach yields the best and quickest results--saving lives, protecting property and getting life back to normal as soon as possible."

Florida Governor Jeb Bush
The Washington Post
Source

Are the governors correct that federalization of disaster management is the wrong solution?
Google
Giles
QUOTE(crashfourit @ Oct 28 2005, 12:36 PM)
"I haven't heard any governors say 'That's a great idea. I'll give up my power to an unelected general to oversee my state.' That would be a significant, almost revolutionary change in government policy and practice . . . You're going to have a pushback from governors, county executives, mayors, fire chiefs, police chiefs all up and down the emergency--management structure . . ."

NGA Chairman Arkansas Governor Mike Huckabee
Knight Ridder Newspapers
"People could have taken the impression that we in Mississippi need the federal government to come in and take over what we're doing, that we need some kind of czar to tell us how to run Mississippi.  We don't need that. In fact, that wouldn't help us. That would hurt us. Right now we Mississippians are proving to the world that we're resilient, self-reliant people who want to help our neighbors, who are selfless and courageous, and we don't need the federal government to come in and take over what we're doing."

Mississippi Governor Haley Barbour
Live with Larry King
"I can say with certainty that federalizing emergency response to catastrophic events would be a disaster as bad as Hurricane Katrina. Just as all politics are local, so are all disasters. The most effective response is one that starts at the local level and grows with the support of surrounding communities, the state and then the federal government. The bottom-up approach yields the best and quickest results--saving lives, protecting property and getting life back to normal as soon as possible."

Florida Governor Jeb Bush
The Washington Post
Source

Are the governors correct that federalization of disaster management is the wrong solution?

I honestly do not think they are aware of this. Could someone in any of these states please bring this to their attention.
Cyan
Hello Giles. You're new to the forum, so you're probably unaware that one-liners are against the Rules because they don't generally advance the debate. Please try to bring additional substance to your posts. Thanks. smile.gif
Ted

It depends. In some cases like the Katrina disaster where the Governor of Louisiana and the Mayor of New Orleans were incompetent idiots it may make some sense. In general though the government isnít that efficient itself and many states could do better on their own.

Google
This is a simplified version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.