Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ohio Senate race
America's Debate > Archive > Election Forum Archive > [A] Election 2006
Google
nebraska29
An embattled Republican incumbant, a widely respected democratic congressman, and an Iraq war veteran who narrowly unseated a republican congressman in a previous election. All this makes for an interesting election as Politics1.com has found:

A new independent poll just confirmed what many have been saying for a while: US Senator Mike DeWine ® is very vulnerable next year. According to the Columbus Dispatch poll, DeWine trails rival Congressman Sherrod Brown (D) by a 35% to 31% vote. Equally bad for DeWine, he manages to hold only a two-point lead -- 32% to 30% -- over attorney and former Congressional candidate Paul Hackett.

Questions for debate:

1.)Who will win the Ohio race and why?

2.)Will Sherrod Brown or Paul Hackett be the democratic nominee?, why?

3.)Will Iraq war veteran democrats like Hackett be the future of the party?

us.gif
Google
Cube Jockey
I think that DeWine is out regardless of who wins the Democratic primary, he is polling much worse than both candidates and I don't think you should expect that to get better unless he pulls out a miracle or national politics turn a 180.

Personally I think that Brown is going to win the primary. Hackett has a lot of passion and I would like to see him in office but I think he is a little bit out of his league in a senate race against a well liked career politician like Brown. In my opinion the house of representatives is the right place for him to start with. During the last election Hackett also had many of his campaign staff lent to him from Brown and other Democrats in the state, that won't happen this time around.

Brown knows the game, he's got the talent and he has the ability to raise money. That counts for a lot in a senate race.

I don't think so, that is a good choice for Ohio and certainly some other states but not for every state. What is important is that the Democrats show some fight in elections and passionately advocate their vision of America. One of the reasons that Hackett did well during his run for representative is because he stood up to Bush and the Republican corruption in the state and laid out his vision, he didn't roll over and take it like Kerry did in 2004.
Giles
I agree with Cube Jockey and I believe DeWine is out as well. I believe people are going to stray away from Republicans in the upcoming races as a result of Bush's low approval rating.

Hard to tell at this point. I think that both look like they are in a pretty good stance to beat DeWine. So it just depends how well they run their campaigns

I doubt it. War veterans work for some states and not others. You cannot base what is happening in Ohio to how the democrats nationally will be in the future.
Google
This is a simplified version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2021 Invision Power Services, Inc.