Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: social issues
America's Debate > Forum Information > Comments and Suggestions
Google
bucket
I have a topic I would like to start but am confused where to place it. It is in regards to a custody battle and involves family law, or how the govt could, should or try to effect the family unit.

Perhaps we can add another group to social issues..altho. it would be nice to have a forum that is just social issues related rather than so divvied up it becomes somewhat exclusive.

Also I know the gender group claims it is for issues that include or involve gender (obviously) or human sexuality but what about reproductive rights and such? Are they really not the exclusive topic of one gender?
Google
bucket
must admit i am a bit disappointed that my question or suggestion has not even been recognized or replied to. I know this is like a free service and all but I have seen far less honest comments that don't even have the remotest of true intentions or concern for the board get addressed and discussed.

I think it really stinks how the social issues is so divided up and made exclusive, and I think as someone who is an active participant in a family unit that includes both genders and the responsibility (legally and morally) of adolescents that there is no where to discuss how the govt, politics and law effects this unit here dissatisfying.
Jaime
I'm sorry you felt you weren't responded to. I thought when we talked about it in the chatroom a few weeks ago, we had covered it. We have a gender section so you don't have to post exclusively to the men's or women's debate categories and this is the place for family issues. Family issues can also be covered in Principals & Personal philosophy or Domestic Policy, depending on what's appropriate. It seems like we have places to debate family issues covered, so I guess we're confused as to what more you think we need. blush.gif flowers.gif
Mike
We certainly didn't mean to ignore or offend you, Bucket! We talked about this in the chat room, and didn't think a response here was necessary until we had something concrete for you. I actually think Jaime's post is a little off, though. ph34r.gif We hadn't even had a chance to consider or discuss your suggestion when you asked in the chat room. You said you would go ahead and post your topic, and we said we would get back to you after we have had a chance to consider it. smile.gif

We had mentioned that we had to discuss it and figure out if any changes are necessary. I was in the middle of a huge upgrade, now just about complete, that was kind of thrown on me and couldn't be postponed. That took quite a bit of effort and literally every minute of my free time for the better part of two weeks. There were a lot of things that were postponed due to bad timing, and your suggestion is unfortunately one of them. Just give us a bit more time please so we can catch up and give this proper consideration before we make any decisions.

Mike
Jaime
Sorry, bucket. Must have confused it with something else. Under consideration, really. And thanks for your patience. flowers.gif flowers.gif
Mike
OK, Jaime and I have been trying to figure out a good way to improve the Social Issues category. We agreed with you, Bucket, that forum was a bit limited. It covered Education, Principles and Personal Philosophy, Gender Issues, and Race Debate. Social issues are not comprised exclusively of those four categories.

Instead of creating forum after forum every time a different issue arises, we have gone ahead and created a new forum under the Social Issues category, cleverly named "General Social Issues." This forum can be used for social issues of any kind that just don't fit well in the other forums in the Social Issues category.

If, after a period of time, we notice that there are a lot of active topics about a particular issue, we can consider adding a dedicated forum for that issue.

Hopefully that will allow for a broader range of topics. smile.gif

In the mean time, we are also making a couple of minor changes to a couple of forum names. The Race Debate forum is now going to be Race Issues. It seems a bit softer and less confrontational to us. The International Debate forum is now going to be International Issues. Again, softer and less confrontational, and we admittedly adore appropriately applied alliterations. shifty.gif

smile.gif

Mike
bucket
Thanks guys, I didn't mean to be so demanding.

I just now realized you can post under gender issues , I thought before you had to choose either male or female.

I also like the general social issues forumand the new titles for the race and international forums.
Google
This is a simplified version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.