Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Who will be president in 2008?
America's Debate > Everything Else > Casual Conversation
Google
Eeyore
I was trying to make this poll only.

For comments let's just stick with names for your other votes and watch the results.
Google
Blackstone
I put down "other" in the Repubican field: Mike Pence. There are enough people on the Right who are up-in-arms over the GOP's free-spending ways to make it happen.
Jaime
I went with 'other' in the Dems category - Mark Warner. thumbsup.gif
BoF
I voted "other" in all three categories.

I agree with Jaime on Mark Warner thumbsup.gif and think he might have the best chance at winning the general election.

While we're talking about Republican long shots, my conservative friend from the coffee shop thinks Tom Tancredo, R- Colorado, has a chance, especially with the anti-immigration crowd.

I seriously doubt Rep.Tancredo has a ghost of a chance, but we might as well throw him in there with Rep. Mike Pence, R- Indiana.
Argonaut
Without stating my personal preference, I think Rudy has a very good chance at being our next President. From the poll results so far, I see I am not alone.

On the other hand...the predictable 18 months of shameless and bloodthirsty political warfare we are all about to witness from both (or all) sides (beyond what we have seen so far) should at least make it the kind of "edge of your seat" spellbinder we have all come to expect every November...The very future of the human race depends on it...Right? sleeping.gif
Amlord
I voted that at this point I would think George Allen has the inside track on the Republican nomination. Rudy is simply not socially conservative enough to get the nomination, no matter how popular he is (or was) in the general election.

For the Democrats, I went with Russ Feingold. He seems to be a consensus builder.

I voted other for who will be President, since my inputs are probably wrong and I always stick by the GIGO theory.
Just Leave me Alone!
I'm with Amlord on George Allen. As much as I would love to see McCain pull it off, I just think there is too much power and money that will do whatever it takes to ensure that he loses.

As for the Democrat ticket, who knows? Probably someone I've never heard of. The thing is, I think a no name would take out a Frist or an Allen in the general.
fontbleau
I've felt since before the last election that '08 would involve Hillary vs. Condi.

It seems remote now, but I'll bet the frontrunners won't look as attractive after a year of partisan attacks.

Another prediction: Organizations and so-called "values" will trump policy on Election Day.
Wertz
I voted yesterday and am commenting today and must admit I don't even remember who I voted for. blush.gif Then again, it's a pretty undistinguished field. I think McCain could win, if nominated (though I doubt he will be). On the other hand, I think an Al Gore/Wesley Clark ticket would be tough for any Republican to beat - at least, fairly - though I doubt Gore will go forward.

I don't think either Rudi Giuliani or Hillary Clinton would have a snowflake's chance in hell of winning a national election - and I seriously doubt either will be their party's choice. In fact, I doubt Hillary will even enter the race. Despite all the punditry of the past couple of years, I think she's quite happy being one of New York's senators - as she has stated at every possible opportunity.

In terms of ideal candidates, whatever happened to Colin Powell? Wasn't he once the GOP's Great White Hope, so to speak? And, in terms of the Democrats, why is no one mentioning Evan Bayh?

Ultimately, I'm leaning toward Amlord's choices - I think it could actually be between Allen and Feingold.
CruisingRam
My guess for dem nominee this early is Bill Richardson and Barak Obama as VP

Repub, possibly McCain with the conservative base finally starting to understand that they didn't nominate a real conservative last time LOL
Google
phaedrus
Evan Bayh is who I am expecting to both win the Dem. nomination and the Presidential election. I can't believe that Kerry and Gore are even in the pole, I don't think Gore will even run and Kerry is unelectable. Hilary Clinton is an interesting possibility to vice president but she was probably used to more influence when she was in the White House last time.
inventor

I would love a Condi-Barak showdown. I think this would be a first class show and clean. But there is no stopping McCain, he has done all the right things with the powers that need be.
Blackstone
QUOTE(inventor @ Aug 4 2006, 12:33 AM) *
But there is no stopping McCain, he has done all the right things with the powers that need be.

All the powers that need be, except the GOP's conservative base. They're after his head right now, partly for his speech-rationing bill (McCain-Feingold), partly for the detainee treatment act, and mostly for his joining up with Ted Kennedy to legalize illegal aliens on a massive scale. His playing footsie with John Kerry in '04 didn't help matters either.
gordo
Hillary will not run, or if she does she will not win. Its not that politics is simply old rich white men I just do not think giving her past along with the current world situation that should would ever win. Maybe the election after this with a different environment to run in she might. Al Gore would be nice, not simply just because he is pro environmental but because he has in my opinion a level head overall, he does not seem to react to panic to easily or get crushed under stress, even as the election he ran for president in was being corrupted openly he did not lash out, I respect that, he is also pretty moderate overall save for some minor aspects, he would have more of a chance too taking a conservative democrat as a v.p, though I do not know who that would be, it will be pretty hard to the republicans to escape a lot of mistakes this administration has committed, lets just hope that the dems dont lose that, yes lesser of two evils in my eyes is the democrats.

As for the republican side, I have no real clue. Most the people named can be connected in one way or another to a lot of woes the US is currently seeing, many more people might simply become more politically active because of costs at the pump while subsidized oil companies bring in record profits, or Katrina, Iraq, the list could go on really, stem cells, the environment. Its going to be hard. They in my opinion should attempt to work from there strengths of course, the pro war crowd and the religious right, that would be key for them to win and I dont see many names up there that will not have both of such as I described working against them or not fully for them in one way or another, more so then in the past America has become charged with all sorts of tension, it will probably come to play out this election more so then in past ones. If the repubs kept the war on terror better then it currently is it would play in there favor highly, but its simply not looking that way, and I think not only in the ranks of repubs but in the democrats of course this will become a focal point, or simply they might destroy there own chances to win. Who knows how much attention terrorists pay to American politics, maybe people should not have been so complacent and loud with their plans.

So my bet is Al Gore with a conservative democrat as v.p.

As for pubs, I would say john McCain with a supporting cast the gain more support in repub voting blocks he may be weak with.

Christopher
The Dems would do well to consider Bayh
Rudy has baggage out the tushy and would get slaughtered
Clinton hasn't a shot. actually she could get the nomination and would precide over a landslide loss--no one actually likes her

McCain could definetely win without the right fringe if he got nominated. Hell he is the only big name politician whose kids are actvely military--his son just enlisted in the Marines.
He has served and is not afraid to buck his party when need be. He could grab a hell of a lot of moderates and centrists--he doesnt need the CC fringe.

Personally I would love McCain/Bayh Unity 08
Amlord
Don't forget how old McCain is. He will be 72 when the elections roll around in November 2008, making him three years older than Reagan was when he was re-elected. The last two Presidents have been 46 and 54 when elected. (It's hard to believe that W is 60 years old now).

I like McCain. He is much more conservative than his critics give him credit for or his supporters admit. His age could be a serious problem for his candidacy.
drewyorktimes
In a reasonable world, I'm saying Biden vs. Mccain/Guiliani.

But in the world we live in, Godzilla vs. Hillary Clinton in a stovepipe hat.
BoF
I voted that at this point I would think George Allen has the inside track on the Republican nomination.

I hate to break the news to you, but I think "macaca," etc. has blown George Allen out of the presidential pool now and forever. bye.gif

Even if he manages to keep his Virginia senate seat, he will not be a serious candidate in 2008. down.gif

It's a shame that we can't go back and change our votes in these polls. laugh.gif

Maybe we need to start a new one with a different list of candidates, including former Virginia Gov. Mark Warner. I would do so myself, but I haven't had much luck starting polls in the new board software. sad.gif
smorpheus
QUOTE(Amlord @ Aug 25 2006, 06:49 AM) *

Don't forget how old McCain is. He will be 72 when the elections roll around in November 2008, making him three years older than Reagan was when he was re-elected. The last two Presidents have been 46 and 54 when elected. (It's hard to believe that W is 60 years old now).

I like McCain. He is much more conservative than his critics give him credit for or his supporters admit. His age could be a serious problem for his candidacy.

I agree age has been a factor, and it was even a factor when he ran against Bush. He had a couple of really bad years there where he had skin cancer, and just was looking generally unhealthy. The last 4 years or so though he's looked incredibly strong and stalwart. I dont' think 76 is too old for him to be running even in 2012, as he certainly is more coherent than Reagen was at his age. However, I think only a couple of months later we are already starting to see new possibilities emerge.

Regardless, unless it's McCain, Obama or an equally free-thinking candidate, I'll be voting Green.
Amlord
QUOTE(BoF @ Oct 3 2006, 01:11 AM) *

I voted that at this point I would think George Allen has the inside track on the Republican nomination.

I hate to break the news to you, but I think "macaca," etc. has blown George Allen out of the presidential pool now and forever. bye.gif

Even if he manages to keep his Virginia senate seat, he will not be a serious candidate in 2008. down.gif

It's a shame that we can't go back and change our votes in these polls. laugh.gif

Maybe we need to start a new one with a different list of candidates, including former Virginia Gov. Mark Warner. I would do so myself, but I haven't had much luck starting polls in the new board software. sad.gif

I'll stick with my George Allen prediction, thank you very much.

Macaca notwithstanding, Allen is a great speaker, a personable guy, and not a racist. Of course, in politics, perception is reality, so who knows?

It is certainly not outside of standard Democratic strategy to denigrate someone by misrepresenting what they said or what they really meant.

Allen will win handily (at least a ten point spread, 55-45) in Virginia next month: another prediction by yours truly. He has a huge amount of money, is nice looking (a factor many do not figure into the equation), is the incumbent, and Virginia is a red state. Not to mention his opponent (Jim Webb) has written a book which used the "n word" many times and is endorsed by Hillary Clinton ( biggrin.gif ). His main strengths are being a Vietnam vet, a best selling author and being Secretary of the Navy under Reagan. His website, however, reads like a John Kerry ad (I fought in Vietnam and will continue to fight...).

Were I Allen, I would pound Webb on his racist and anti-women comments:

“And I have never met a woman, including the dozens of female midshipmen I encountered during my recent semester as a professor at the Naval Academy, whom I would trust to provide those men with combat leadership.” (pg. 148, “Women Can’t Fight,” Washingtonian Magazine, November 1979)

“Tailhook should have been a three or maybe five-day story.” (Speech to the Naval Institute Annual Conference, Washington Times, 4/25/96)

and those that he runs with:
An informal group calling themselves “Webbites” shamelessly practices bigotry. Adherents of James Webb, former secretary of the Navy who in a visit to the Naval Academy several years ago referred to female midshipmen as “Thunder Things,” this group has evolved over the past decade from a collection of outspoken critics of women in the military to a secret society, one that in 1991 referred to itself as the “WUBA KLUX KLAN” and solicited new members to further its goal of ridding the Naval Academy of women.” (The New Republic, 8/17/92)
CruisingRam
I am thinking no on Allen right now- and I agree with Amlord's comments on Webber- I am not really sure if either is a racist- it is the perception that is the problem, of course.

what does amaze me is how much the political landscape has changed since the poll started.

I still think Bill Richardson or Tony Knowles should make themselves known and candidates ASAP

BoF
QUOTE(CruisingRam @ Oct 7 2006, 04:14 PM) *

I am thinking no on Allen right now- and I agree with Amlord's comments on Webber- I am not really sure if either is a racist- it is the perception that is the problem, of course.

what does amaze me is how much the political landscape has changed since the poll started.

I still think Bill Richardson or Tony Knowles should make themselves known and candidates ASAP

It seems there is yet more negative news about George Allen. It appears that he received some stock options from a couple of corporations he worked for between his tenure as Governor of Virginia and Senator from Virginia. Apparently Senate rules required Allen to report these option, which he never did. His lame excuse was that he tuought the stock worthless since it had lost value. rolleyes.gif

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory?id=2543575

I predict that if Allen doesn't implode before the November 7, 2006 elections, he will before the presidential primaries.

To turn an old saying on it's head, "you just can't keep a bad man up." wacko.gif
carlitoswhey
QUOTE(BoF @ Oct 9 2006, 04:59 PM) *

It seems there is yet more negative news about George Allen. It appears that he received some stock options from a couple of corporations he worked for between his tenure as Governor of Virginia and Senator from Virginia. Apparently Senate rules required Allen to report these option, which he never did. His lame excuse was that he tuought the stock worthless since it had lost value. rolleyes.gif
Lots of people got options in the tech bubble, and lots of them are worthless. It's a joke in the tech industry, some people even have them framed in the office. Of course, if the rules say to declare them, he still should have declared them.

Stock options are worthless when the stock value drops to below the option exercise price. From your story:
Allen's office said he sold his Xybernaut stock at a loss and has not cashed in his Commonwealth options because they cost more than the stock is now worth.

Allen also said that he "only" cashed in on a quarter-million dollar windfall in Ericsson stock during his time in the private sector, that he "didn't get rich" - what an out-of-touch thing to say. There are way too many millionaire senators. That is really the problem. Of course, when two senators write the campaign finance laws, there you go.

Rudy Giuliani is leading the GOP bloggers straw poll. That's a pretty conservative group of voters, which should give some pause, who dismiss him with 'the base.' Time for a new base, me thinks.
Amlord
QUOTE(carlitoswhey @ Oct 11 2006, 02:17 PM) *

Rudy Giuliani is leading the GOP bloggers straw poll. That's a pretty conservative group of voters, which should give some pause, who dismiss him with 'the base.' Time for a new base, me thinks.

Giuliani has done the smart thing and gone to ground.

No media attention means no getting beat up by the media or the Democrats (or other Republicans for that matter).

As he emerges from cover, however, these three elements will beat on him regarding his past personal problems and his stances on various issues, both of which are easily overlooked in a straw poll taken several years after the man left elected office.

Giuliani will certainly be the early front runner (with McCain). That does not guarantee him the nomination, let alone the White House.
Amlord
It looks like Mark Warner is out.

http://www.forwardtogetherpac.com/

Statement of Governor Mark Warner
Forward Together PAC
October 12, 2006

<snip>

So about a month ago, I told my family and people who know me best that I would make a final decision after Columbus Day weekend, which I was spending with my family. After 67 trips to 28 states and five foreign countries, I have made that decision.

I have decided not to run for President.

Sorry Jaime and BoF. sad.gif
CruisingRam
QUOTE(BoF @ Oct 9 2006, 01:59 PM) *

QUOTE(CruisingRam @ Oct 7 2006, 04:14 PM) *

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory?id=2543575

I predict that if Allen doesn't implode before the November 7, 2006 elections, he will before the presidential primaries.

To turn an old saying on it's head, "you just can't keep a bad man up." wacko.gif

I wish the Dems would look up Tony Knowles though. I think he would be a slam dunk for them!
Tim (M)
QUOTE(BoF @ Jun 19 2006, 06:19 AM) *

I voted "other" in all three categories.

I agree with Jaime on Mark Warner thumbsup.gif and think he might have the best chance at winning the general election.

While we're talking about Republican long shots, my conservative friend from the coffee shop thinks Tom Tancredo, R- Colorado, has a chance, especially with the anti-immigration crowd.

I seriously doubt Rep.Tancredo has a ghost of a chance, but we might as well throw him in there with Rep. Mike Pence, R- Indiana.

I would vote for Tom Tancredo in a heart beat and expect that will will retain his seat this midterm election with no issue.
CruisingRam
So-hmm, Tancredo can , um, capture that Hispanic vote? How about that independent that went heavy dem this election? Man- that dude is as polarizing as Hillary- without near the machine behind him- he would be slaughtered in the primary against his own party members. He is too easy to take down- he set his career on the single issue of immigration- illegal immigration to be fair.
Eeyore
topic closed. moving on to the post midterm poll/
This is a simplified version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2021 Invision Power Services, Inc.