Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: mod transparency
America's Debate > Forum Information > Comments and Suggestions
Google
bucket
I think it is unfair to ask the posters to report posts in private to the mods and then to allow posters to openly announce, not only that a report has been made but that the contents, or opinions of the mods regarding the reported post are in agreement with or in support of the member who is reporting.
It seems like any report that a member is making of another should either be open and transparent to all parties or that mods should not share with either party any information, opinion or comments on the handling of the report other than it has been received.
Google
Mrs. Pigpen
I don't believe that making reports public is a good idea. The forum encourages people to report posts that they believe cross the line, and anonymity is important to the process for obvious reasons. A few I can think of readily: 1) Some might be hesitant to report infractions of friends or those with popular opinions; 2)Many wouldn't want to become targets of attacks themselves; 3)Reports could become rant boards to report personal grievances rather than productive venues to police for constructive debate as forum arguments would spill over to the public report features. 4)Reports become a popularity contest, and unpopular ideas are reported rather than truly unconstructive debate. It currently works pretty well, and reports do cross party lines often. I do think the anonymity has helped in that regard.

After a report is made, the admins, mods and staff review it and discuss what to do. Sometimes the report seems actionable, sometimes it doesn't. There are many reasons why we might not take an action. Some of the thought process which goes into this is...What was the intent? Is the debater generally constructive? Ect. It's a case by case basis. Sometimes a report might have been actionable but the thread has moved on constructively, and/or it was addressed on the thread and the infraction was light, so no action seems necessary. That doesn't cover it all, but it's a bit of it.

When we receive a report of an infraction and take no action for some reason like the above (if a mod note, for instance, would seem superfluous, or a line that might have been edited out is quoted and addressed, or it's a bit late because the thread has moved on, ect), we occasionally send the person who made the report a personal message as a courtesy. "We received the report, no action was taken because..."

It isn't a perfect system, because it is run by humans for humans, but I believe it is better than the public alternative. I do understand your objections here, and I think in the future it would be a good policy to send a personal message to both parties in such an instance, rather than just the one reporting the post. No one should feel that they are being talked about behind their back, which is certainly not the intention of the private response system.
bucket
Mrs P, I just think that if the mods are going to discuss a poster's comments and even make judgement and comments about them they should either keep it amongst themselves or openly share it. Not that I am advocating public reporting but instead that the idea that mods secretly discuss posters and share their opinions on posters with other non-moderators during the process of post reporting is not a very good policy either.

I have no idea if this ocurred or not, as it was only alleged, but I wanted to bring it up and publicly express my concern about it.

Hobbes
Hi, Bucket.

We keep discussions of reported events internal. Sometimes we might PM either the reporter or the author of the reported post, but PM's are to be kept private as well. If a mod note is posted, it might contain the complaint from the report, but it is not copied from there but rather necessary for the mod note to be effective--but the author of the report would never be included.
Jaime
I don't have much to add here since MrsP & Hobbes covered most of it. I would like to add that if a member brings up that they reported another within a debate this is considered off-topic, which is against the Rules. If a member does this, report it & we will deal with it in our customary manner.

And on a related note, I've seen a handful of members recently threaten to publish PM exchanges within a public debate (I believe someone did this to you, bucket). Please note that doing so without permission of all parties to the PM is against the Rules and may result in post removal or a strike if the problem is repeated.

So in short for everyone: 1) don't report someone and then take the debate off-topic to tell everyone you did so 2) don't publish personal messages within debates unless you have permission to do so and it is on-topic.

Hope this clarifies smile.gif
Vermillion
QUOTE(Jaime @ Jan 3 2007, 05:53 PM) *

And on a related note, I've seen a handful of members recently threaten to publish PM exchanges within a public debate (I believe someone did this to you, bucket). Please note that doing so without permission of all parties to the PM is against the Rules and may result in post removal or a strike if the problem is repeated.

Can I just ask: I am the one who was doing the 'threatening' in the other thread, for reasons which are irrelevant to the question. Yet the PM I was 'threatening' to post was a PM I had sent to the person in question, and that person was (in my unobjective opinion) misrepresenting. As it was my PM in the first place, is it against the rules for me to post it, when another party has chosen to make the contents the subject of debate?

If it is, then I apologise for having brought it up.
gordo
Its a debate board, sometimes I think things will get heavy for people. I donít know what a mod is to do. I mean you ask a human in that case to be able to decide amongst all the posts and posters who is fit and who is not in many regards. I think the generic set of rules is much better, such as donít use foul language against another poster or come into a topic about space monkeys and write a post about what toaster the pope uses.

I am not very good at playing by the rules for the most part myself, that and I donít buy into following what some politician said as fact I can put into a link and then overlay my opinion on and treat it as fact. Bottom line again is if you want mods to decide on every aspect of you post I think you are asking for trouble, simply because then mods could extend there power to blacklist basically for a cause, just a perspective is all. If I were a mod you would see me use mod powers like 0% of my time on this board unless there were very open violations of basic rules like I already talked about.

IF you are worried about a pm to a mod, well if the issue was big enough you would hear about it anyways and probably get a chance to learn what it was and possibly defend yourself, of course I donít know this for sure.

Blackstone
QUOTE(Jaime @ Jan 3 2007, 12:53 PM) *
I would like to add that if a member brings up that they reported another within a debate this is considered off-topic, which is against the Rules.

Might I suggest at least a small reconsideration of that rule? I have it on fairly good authority (I don't want to run afoul of the rule about publishing PM's, so I won't get any more specific than this) that there have been times when the moderators have had to deal with a backlog and haven't been able to get to post reports until quite a bit time has elapsed. Situations like that can leave an abusive post up without challenge. Keep in mind that the one thing a schoolyard bully thrives on the most is the passivity of his intended targets. Now I'm not saying that we should be allowed to respond to provocations in kind, that is, by in any way descending to the level of the provoker. But it doesn't seem unreasonable that his target should simply be able to inform him that his comment was uncalled for and has been reported. In fact, that extra deterrent, it seems to me, can only be of help in keeping potential disruptors in line.
bucket
Ok I can understand Blackstone's view about announcing a reporting, I think it is off topic tho.
Google
This is a simplified version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.