QUOTE(BaphometsAdvocate @ Jan 24 2007, 07:55 PM)
You know what this place needs? A no holds barred, curse if ya gott'em thread to insult each other.
It can be fun. Now I know what you're thinking - you're thinking Lou you already have a strike and you say mean things to people all the time...
Well OK, I'm with you but hear me out.
You have this one place were anything goes and if you disagree with me you take me to that place and tell me what an unmitigated moron I am and I tell you to go to Hell and then we go back to the original thread and discuss the topic at hand like civilized humans.
Oh and we don't report each other like Jamie is Mrs. Crababapple and we're the Little Rascals getting ready for the box car rally.
This is an idea that already has its expression on the Internet, known commonly as a political debate site
. AD is different, as should be obvious, and the reasons for the difference should also be obvious.
As a descendent of scat-pitching monkeys, I had my fill of this sort of fighting in what is often referred to as my childhood family
. I'm sure many have had similar experiences, since 90% of families are dysfunctional and the other 10% are faking it. (Maybe I should point out that I'm kidding here.)
It has been suggested that if one doesn't want to play by the rules, one can take leave of the board. Nobody has to do this; it's not like a MacJob.
There's a parallel here between the US House of Reps and other governments. The House has a set of rules that, although sometimes broken, do come through eventually and actually become strengthened somewhat after enough members are caught cheating. House members seldom, if ever, physically attack each other as sometimes happens in other governments. This is a strong demonstration for the value of rules.
I am proud to say that I once garnered a strike, and I am smug to say that by gosh, I was right. The details don't matter. The point is that everyone at some time loses the cool and makes a fool of oneself. Some do it more often than others. Although this is a violation of the rules, a sharp debater can take the transgression and turn it on the transgressor, and in bouts of occasional sanity, I have found this technique to be quite satisfying.
I must confess that I have also tried to stretch the limits of the curse-o-meter. This shows another connection between me and scat-pitching monkeys who test the limits of their cages. I find it very comforting to be so closely connected to nature, while I am sure that others think this is the most gloriously stupid thing in the world, to which I comment
A technique to view the world is to see everyone naked, an attempt to take away the trappings of office and position. I prefer to see everyone as monkeys. Works every time. Some are gorillas, not to disparage those gentle beings of the forest. And I have to say that the monkey image doesn't always apply. Some are sly foxes, not to put down those delightful creatures. Others are sinister predators without a touch of humanity. That actually is an accurate description that doesn't denigrate any forest spirit, clothed or naked.
I suppose the creators of AD could set up another site that allows free-for-all brawls. I suppose such a site would attract many of those who grew up in dysfunctional families, as it seems that such a thing is addictive. I just can't imagine why the creators of AD would want to do this, since that would be like opening up a pawn shop on skid row or a strip joint near to a military base. There's nothing special about these places, although some find pawn shops to be necessary and others find strip clubs to be entertaining.
The creators of AD want it to be different, a special place. Looks to me like they succeeded, and if anyone thinks otherwise, she;he's itching for a fight (apologies to Michael Feldman