Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ungainly and difficult search function
America's Debate > Forum Information > Comments and Suggestions
Google
CruisingRam
I have seen the link several times about the health care execs testifying before congress that lawsuits are NOT the reason for rising health care costs- looked for half an hour, using different phrases. Still can't find it!

When I have PM'd folks before- it turned up in a thread that had nothing to do with what i was looking for in the first place!

Is there anyway to break up subjects better to make them easier to find?
Google
Dontreadonme
I don't have a good technical answer to your question CR, just thought I'd bump this to the top.
Have you tried a work around, like googling some key words and "Americasdebate"?
Mike
CruisingRam, I know our search feature is junk. I hate it too. It puts a huge load on the server, takes forever, and provides results that are minimally useful at best. It is also too restrictive. It doesn't allow searching for words less than 4 characters, such as DoE, DoD, VP, etc. Lame.

Unfortunately, it is a function of our software, and would require massive modifications to improve.

But...!

I have some plans.

In the next few months, I'm going to be replacing the default search with an integrated Google search. You will get lightening fast results on all searches. The only drawback is that Google must have had spidered a page before it can appear in the search results. Luckily, GoogleBot appears to have signed long-term lease with our forum! laugh.gif

I will leave the built-in search feature fully intact, but will default to the Google search. I'll make a setting in the My Controls section so members can choose which search they prefer.

So, in the mean time, I recommend this.

1. Search using the testing version of the future default search. http://www.google.com/coop/cse?cx=01815228...7%3A7dlz_-chzdo

2. Search using Google's "site:" command. Click this link and change the YOURKEYWORDS search term to your own search terms.

I hope that helps!

Mike
entspeak
2. Search using Google's "site:" command. Click this link and change the YOURKEYWORDS search term to your own search terms.

I hope that helps!

Mike

As someone who uses the search function regularly and has been frustrated, I had to say... COOL! smile.gif

Much easier! Can't wait to see the Google integrated search.
Google
This is a simplified version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.