Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tools
America's Debate > Forum Information > Comments and Suggestions
Google
Lesly
Could you include a highlight tool in the font format tools (bold, italic, underline, etc.) already available in full-edit mode?

Could you stop making a comma appear as an ampersand in the quote title?

Thanks,

- L
Google
Mike
Hi Lesly! smile.gif

QUOTE(Lesly @ Feb 10 2007, 11:09 AM) *

Could you include a highlight tool in the font format tools (bold, italic, underline, etc.) already available in full-edit mode?

I am preparing for our next major upgrade (to be completed sometime in the next 2-3 months). As part of the upgrade, there is a new "Quick Access" bar that appears along the left side of the posting screen that contains the custom BBCode tags. It should be no problem to put the highlight tag in there. smile.gif

I'm not sure what you mean there. The quoting box seems logical to me, and has been the same way for 4+ years now:

QUOTE(Lesly @ Feb 10 2007, 11:09 AM)

I don't really have plans to change the quote layout, and unless there is some sort of very compelling reason to do so, it will likely remain just how it is.

smile.gif

Mike
Lesly
QUOTE(Mike @ Feb 10 2007, 02:49 PM) *
I'm not sure what you mean there. The quoting box seems logical to me, and has been the same way for 4+ years now:

QUOTE(Lesly @ Feb 10 2007, 11:09 AM)

When I use a comma citing a source, it shows up as @. For example:

QUOTE(New York Times @ Times Select edition)
Blah blah blah...

Does that make sense?
Mike
Ah, I gotcha. That is annoying.

The way the software works, though, it assumes the quotation feature is used mostly for quoting other members, and not other sites. We cite tons of articles here, so I guess we're a bit different than most forums.

The simple solution is to use a hyphen instead of a comma, which I think is also grammatically correct. It's more correct than an @, that's for sure.

CODE
[quote=New York Times - Times Select edition]Blah blah blah...[/quote]

QUOTE(New York Times - Times Select edition)
Blah blah blah...

Hopefully that will work for you until after the upgrade, when I can check the feasibility of changing the default behavior.

smile.gif

Mike
Lesly
QUOTE(Mike @ Feb 10 2007, 03:34 PM) *
Hopefully that will work for you until after the upgrade, when I can check the feasibility of changing the default behavior.

Thanks a bunch,

- L
Wertz
QUOTE(Lesly @ Feb 10 2007, 11:09 AM) *

Sorry - the pedant in me can't resist. The "at sign" (@) is an ampersat. An ampersand is the "and sign" (&). The ampers- prefix is a sort of contraction of "and per se" (per se meaning "of itself" or "intrinsically") - hence ampersat and ampersand. I'll go away now. blush.gif
Lesly
Don't fight it. Give in to your grammar pedantry, Wertz. wink.gif

I just realized another "workaround" is the semi-colon:

QUOTE(New York Times; Times Select edition)
Blah blah blah...

Just a suggestion, and a reminder to myself, if Mike can't change the default behavior.
Google
This is a simplified version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.