Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Year in Review 07-08
America's Debate > Forum Information > Comments and Suggestions
Google
Jaime
Please feel free to use this topic to post reminders to yourself for nominations for the Year in Review 07-08.

For you new folks, please check out our previous Year in Review forums to get an idea of the types of nominations you can make for the Best of ad.gif
Year in Review 06-07 | Year in Review 05-06 | Year in Review 04-05 | Year in Review 03-04 | Year in Review 02-03

I'll pin this topic here in the Comments & Suggestions forum so it's easy to find later.

Here's a reminder to me for most convincing post: The Surge in Baghdad, Dontreadonme.

smile.gif

Google
Mrs. Pigpen
I definitely agree that DTOM's post deserves recognition, but I would like to keep a record of Jule's post on the 'race and intelligence' thread for future reference. A very interesting and informative view on a topic I had reservations about.

Moif's post above his was also interesting and informative. Molto kudos to both.
nighttimer
QUOTE(Victoria Silverwolf @ Mar 6 2008, 06:11 AM) *
I eat a peanut butter sandwich almost every night when I am at work. (What else is a very easy brown bag meal for a vegetarian to pack?) Over the years, I have come to be very picky about my peanut butter. The only kind I will eat is Arrowhead Mills Organic Unsalted Crunchy 100% Roasted Valencia Peanut Butter. All peanuts, with no other ingredients. (Why would I add sugar or oil or salt to something which tastes so good all by itself?)

Anybody who says that all peanut butters are alike doesn't know very much about peanut butter. Heck, such a person probably doesn't even like peanut butter. (Horrors!)

Let me stretch the analogy to the breaking point. Peanut butter is liberalism. Wholesome, nutritious, as American as apple pie. There are many varieties of it, some better than others. My preference for the "natural" stuff puts me outside the mainstream, I suppose. That doesn't mean I hate the "adulterated" forms of the stuff. Sometimes one has to select the best from a series of limited choices.

But I'd much rather have something halfway decent than something which I dislike very much.

As a vegetarian, I can only say that conservatism holds as little attraction for me as the same old baloney

I'm tagging this as a potential nominee for Best Quotation by a Member

Way to go, Victoria Silverwolf. thumbsup.gif
BoF
While this is up and I'm thinking about it, I want to suggest JohnfrmCleveland for "Rookie of the Year."
moif
AZWW's posts in particular and the white guilt thread have given me much food for thought.
nighttimer
ad.gif doesn't have a "Most Witty Rejoinder or Retort" category which is a darn shame considering how much wit is often on display here, so until it does, I guess this will be another candidate for Best Quotation:

QUOTE(Dontreadonme @ May 2 2008, 07:43 PM) *
The fact that you continue to imply that I called Bush a terrorist is childish. Put up or shut up. the question I posed was this: who is responsible for more deaths and destruction in middle east since 2001, Bush or OBL? That was my question for you. Answer it........ post where I called Bush a terrorist....or retreat back to your mothers basement.

That was classic. I nearly spewed reading it. laugh.gif

By the way, I think the ad.gif Awards need a name. There's the Emmys and the Grammys and the Tonys and the Oscars.

Why not The Jaimes?

Okay, if you think that blows, YOU come up with a better one!
JohnfrmCleveland
Here's another category I'd like to see: "Person on the other side of the political spectrum that I'm most inclined to agree with (occasionally)."

I'll divulge my choice if the category ever gets adopted.
Jaime
QUOTE(nighttimer @ May 10 2008, 01:06 AM) *
By the way, I think the ad.gif Awards need a name. There's the Emmys and the Grammys and the Tonys and the Oscars.

Why not The Jaimes?

Oh nooo, please not the Jaimes. blink.gif I do agree they could use a snazzier (and shorter) name. I was thinking maybe the Debaters and whoever wins the Best Overall Debater category gets the Master Debater award... wait...maybe not zipped.gif You guys are smart, help us out here.

QUOTE(JohnfrmCleveland @ May 10 2008, 01:38 AM) *
Here's another category I'd like to see: "Person on the other side of the political spectrum that I'm most inclined to agree with (occasionally)."

That's a good suggestion. I'll add it to the list of possible new categories this year. We try to add a few every year. Any other category suggestions are also welcome smile.gif

I'll be posting more on this soon. The nomination process begins June 1st! Yes, less than a month away. I've got some work to do. mrsparkle.gif
moif
The Pundits? whistling.gif
ConservPat
The Ameros, perhaps.

CP us.gif
Google
Aquilla
I'd suggest "The Nerdies"

Aquilla
nighttimer
I posted this in another forum, but I believe it belongs here as well.

QUOTE(nighttimer @ May 16 2008, 12:26 AM) *
I'm not a fan of party-specific threads. By their nature they are exclusionary and tend to encourage "me too" posts instead of genuine debating and the free exchange of ideas.

The Women's Issues and Men Issues forums are not gender restricted. No one would ever dream of making The Race Debate forum off-limits to Whites.

It's time to take the next step in ad.gif evolution and ditch the forums that block debate, not enhance it.

I would include in that evolution taking a hard look at some of the forums such as Men's and Women's issues or others that don't generate much input. It may be time to merge, revamp or retire them.

ermm.gif
Amlord
QUOTE(nighttimer @ May 16 2008, 04:43 AM) *
I posted this in another forum, but I believe it belongs here as well.

QUOTE(nighttimer @ May 16 2008, 12:26 AM) *
I'm not a fan of party-specific threads. By their nature they are exclusionary and tend to encourage "me too" posts instead of genuine debating and the free exchange of ideas.

The Women's Issues and Men Issues forums are not gender restricted. No one would ever dream of making The Race Debate forum off-limits to Whites.

It's time to take the next step in ad.gif evolution and ditch the forums that block debate, not enhance it.

I would include in that evolution taking a hard look at some of the forums such as Men's and Women's issues or others that don't generate much input. It may be time to merge, revamp or retire them.

ermm.gif

All of that is true, but I think the Party specific forums (which don't get much mileage) have a lot less of the distracting "yeah, but..." type of posts that appear in the General Debate forums.

If a Democrat (for example) asks whether or not the Democratic Party should change a party platform position (pick anything: abortion, AA, free trade) and I come along and drop a bomb as to why the current position is stupid, or I think they shouldn't change it because it gets more votes for Republicans, that distracts from useful conversation among Democrats.

BoF
I kind of like this word of moderation posted by Logo, today. I like it for quotation within a post.

QUOTE(logophage @ May 19 2008, 11:27 AM) *
Yes, I understand that I'm not "on the right" (I don't have enough fascist tendencies); however, I'm also not "on the left" (I don't have enough communist tendencies).

...and..

This is a masterpiece both for accuracy and humor. The best individual post is ...nighttimer for...

http://www.americasdebate.com/forums/index...st&p=246136
lederuvdapac
I have two suggestions for new awards this coming year.

1) Best Exchange. I suggested this before and I am standing by it. It would be the best exchange between two ad.gif members in a given thread. Ideally, both posters would be presenting well researched and logical arguments without an ad hominem attacks.

2) Best Defender of _________ Basically this will give people the opportunity to vote for which member they think gives the best defense of a given ideology (liberal, conservative, libertarian, i dunno anarchism).
Jaime
If all goes right, I should have the nominations open after this weekend. I'm not sure if we're going to go with any new categories at all this year. I'm almost concerned they're a little too big right now. hmmm.gif

nighttimer, I think you're right about needing to consolidate some forum categories. We did that two years ago and it's about time we do it again.

I can't believe this place is going to be six. I can't believe I've known some, many, of you for years. I'm getting verklempt. kiss.gif
Jaime
Progress Update - well, lack of progress update. I'm going to be a bit late in opening the nominations for the Year in Review. Mike and I hadn't anticipated getting hit head-on in our car yesterday. cry.gif Thankfully we're ok, just a few bruises and muscle soreness. The car on the other hand...

Obviously, this has set me back here. Thanks for your patience. We'll be rolling soon enough. flowers.gif
Aquilla
Just thankful you two are okay. Cars can be replaced, you two can't.

Aquilla
Mrs. Pigpen
Yikes! sad.gif So glad to hear you two are okay!
moif
I'm really sorry to hear that Jaime. I trust you'll take good care of each other and keep a watchful eye on each other for any secondary injuries!

ConservPat
Wow, thank God you guys are all right, screw the Year in Review, recover well.

CP us.gif
Victoria Silverwolf
Best wishes to you both. I have been in two wrecks which totaled the car, but escaped all injury. I hope you will be able to say that you did the same thing, but just once.
entspeak
Why don't we call them The Debbie's?
BaphometsAdvocate
Recover
Get a shiny new car
Nominate and Vote me Tersest Poster Ever
Jaime
Thanks for your kindness everyone. We're really quite ok. It's a bit stunning, really.

The YIR should be open by this time tomorrow. I've got it almost set up. smile.gif
nighttimer
Geez--the lengths some people will go to get out of a weekend job!

On the serious tip though, don't strain yourself Jaime trying to put together the Year in Review. It's your board. Nobody is going to squawk if you take some extra time to make sure you are both all healed up.

If you want to make it easy on yourself, just declare me as the winner in all the major categories and save yourself the effort. It's a helluva sacrifice, but I'm willing to shoulder the load.

whistling.gif
Wertz
Damn, guys, take care of yourselves. And moif is right - do keep an eye on each other. Sean and I were in an accident a few years ago (in the back seat of a car that got broad-sided) and it was several days before some of the whiplash effects set in. Sorry about the car, though. sad.gif

Trouble
Yikes, take care out there. Hope you are all right. Keep us updated.
Julian
QUOTE(Jaime @ Jun 1 2008, 07:41 PM) *
Progress Update - well, lack of progress update. I'm going to be a bit late in opening the nominations for the Year in Review. Mike and I hadn't anticipated getting hit head-on in our car yesterday. cry.gif Thankfully we're ok, just a few bruises and muscle soreness. The car on the other hand...

Obviously, this has set me back here. Thanks for your patience. We'll be rolling soon enough. flowers.gif

Quite apart from anything else this is pretty scary (from my limited experience of car crashes, both of which were my fault and in both of which nothing, except my insurance no claims bonus and my pride, was injured).

Look after yourselves. As has been mentioned, keep an eye for any injuries that take a while to appear. You know how it takes around 36 hours to feel the full pain and stiffness in your muscles after exercise? Well, that goes double for this kind of thing, where you will have had no chance to warm up your neck or back muscles before the knock.
carlitoswhey
I suppose that this is technically for 08-09, but I wanted to post it somewhere so I didn't forget.

For 'quote of the year' next year. nighttimer's post here. http://www.americasdebate.com/forums/index...;p=259946"" target="_blank">link

How much more assimilated am I supposed to get? I wasn't just introduced to the dominant White culture; I marinated in it.

This is a simplified version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.