Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Security settings in Vista...
America's Debate > Forum Information > Comments and Suggestions
Google
Amlord
I know, I know...dump Vista.

But I have Vista and I have continuing problems with being logged off every time I refresh the page or move to a different forum.

Any suggestions? Is there a security setting I'm missing? I set AD to my safe zone and have added them to always accept cookies...
Google
BaphometsAdvocate
QUOTE(Amlord @ Feb 26 2008, 09:54 AM) *
I know, I know...dump Vista.

But I have Vista and I have continuing problems with being logged off every time I refresh the page or move to a different forum.

Any suggestions? Is there a security setting I'm missing? I set AD to my safe zone and have added them to always accept cookies...

You just need to reset the OS X.

tongue.gif

Have you tried simply switching to Opera or Mozilla/Firefox to see if this improves the behavior of this board in your browser?
Amlord
Well switching to Firefox doesn't seem to have helped...

Maybe it has to do with my ISP...
BaphometsAdvocate
QUOTE(Amlord @ Feb 26 2008, 11:34 AM) *
Well switching to Firefox doesn't seem to have helped...

Maybe it has to do with my ISP...

No it's not your ISP.

Got any Anti-Virus, Ad-Aware, Firewall type programs that might be eating your cookies?
Amlord
Or maybe it did solve it...

Once I closed IE, things seem better...
BaphometsAdvocate
QUOTE(Amlord @ Feb 26 2008, 11:41 AM) *
Or maybe it did solve it...

Once I closed IE, things seem better...

HA! People often find closing Internet Explorer makes their entire life better smile.gif

Two words. Mah. Cuh.
Trouble
This is the second day of working with Vista on my new computer and boy is it is stressful. Can we turn this from replying to security settings to an AA group where we can all hear each other's pain? tongue.gif
BaphometsAdvocate
QUOTE(Trouble @ Feb 26 2008, 12:31 PM) *
This is the second day of working with Vista on my new computer and boy is it is stressful. Can we turn this from replying to security settings to an AA group where we can all hear each other's pain? tongue.gif

Was on a Tablet with Vista for work. Got so fed up I went to the Apple store got a MacBook (Black) and bought a copy of VMWare Fusion and took 20GB and installed Windows XP Pro and Outlook 2007.

Life is SOOOO much better now. Real Unix networking tools, a real OS, real browsers and Outlook (sorry Apple Entourage 2008 is pretty but not ready for the Enterprise just yet.)
Amlord
I guess my problems aren't solved...

I keep needing to log on time after time after time...
logophage
QUOTE(Amlord @ Feb 26 2008, 03:42 PM) *

Clearly something is eating your cookies. First, make sure Firefox isn't set to do this. Second, check if you have any software anti-virus OR firewall settings doing this. You can always upgrade to XP OR you can upgrade to a Mac and use XP on it with VMWare.
Google
Amlord
QUOTE(logophage @ Feb 26 2008, 07:11 PM) *
QUOTE(Amlord @ Feb 26 2008, 03:42 PM) *

Clearly something is eating your cookies. First, make sure Firefox isn't set to do this. Second, check if you have any software anti-virus OR firewall settings doing this. You can always upgrade to XP OR you can upgrade to a Mac and use XP on it with VMWare.

Even after it logs me off, Firefox reports that I have session cookies (and several others) from AD. I modified the settings to allow all cookies since the default has the cookies expire with the session. We'll see if it works.

Otherwise, I don't see any of my firewall or antivirus settings that would affect cookies.
BaphometsAdvocate
QUOTE(Amlord @ Feb 26 2008, 07:59 PM) *
Otherwise, I don't see any of my firewall or antivirus settings that would affect cookies.

Not be a PIA but would you tell us what you're running on those two fronts maybe there's something happening beyond the settings you don't know about.
Aquilla
Thank GOD I bought a Mac. mrsparkle.gif

Aquilla
Jobius
I've also been getting logged out more frequently, and I can see (using the "Live HTTP Headers" Firefox plugin) that my browser is sending the same cookie that was valid a few hours ago.

One thing I've noticed that always seems to trigger it is when I move my laptop to a different network. Is AD using a new security scheme that ties a login to a single IP address?

That can't be all that's going on, though. I've got a machine that never leaves the house, where I have a fixed IP address. That one is getting logged out nearly every day, too...

Oh yeah, Vista (ugh), Firefox 2.0.0.12.
Amlord
McAfee, and Firefox 2.0.0.12. Windows Firewall.
Mike
Hm. I'm stumped on this one.

I haven't made any changes beyond security updates in well over a year, and I haven't had to do any security updates for at least six months. No cookie changes, no login method changes, no changes at all.

I do know that going from one computer to the next is supposed to require a new login because, if I recall correctly, the IP address is part of a hash stored in a cookie. That wouldn't really make a difference here, but at least confirms what Jobius said.

I'll look through the support forums and see if anyone else has had this problem.

smile.gif

Mike
BaphometsAdvocate
QUOTE(Amlord @ Feb 26 2008, 11:41 PM) *
McAfee, and Firefox 2.0.0.12. Windows Firewall.

Ah. Update McAfee there's a lot of info regarding McAfee warning people about popular sites and plain old ordinary cookie scarfing.
DaytonRocker
All my computers started this a few months ago. I use Firefox mostly (it's as bad as IE, but I like the add-ons), but my IE7 does the same thing. I always have to log on-which is not a big deal. But on my laptop, I have to try up to 6 or 7 tries before it will actually log in and usually logs out on it's own if I go back to the main screen. But some days it works better than others.

Doclotus
Amlord,

I run Vista x64 and I have to login once per browser session, but after that it seems fine. My previous issue (per Mike's note) was using Google Browser Sync, the cookie was getting munched in the process. Now I use foxmarks.
nighttimer
I'm buying a new computer next week and I've been dreading buying one with Vista installed.

You guys are scaring me even more. Maybe I'll just stay with XP instead until the bugs get ironed out. ermm.gif
AuthorMusician
For what it's worth, I've had to log into AD every so often on both XP with Slimbrowser and Linux with Firefox. I find it only mildly irritating, but then I'm just a casual user, not a mod.
Pookie
Wow, I must be missing something. I have Vista Premium and regular IE7, and I have had no problems with anything at all...yet.
Keeping fingers crossed!
Purrs,
Pookie
This is a simplified version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.