Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Opinion Please
America's Debate > Forum Information > Comments and Suggestions
Google
BoF
The following statement appeared this morning on a thread that is now closed.

inventor...I'm recommending that you be banned from this forum.

We have a mechanism for reporting posts.

Is it appropriate for one member to call for the banning of another member on the public board? Is this a can of worms we really want to open?
Google
BaphometsAdvocate
No more than people should announce their termination from the site.

That said, my opinion is they should ban him.
BoF
QUOTE(BaphometsAdvocate @ Mar 28 2008, 11:17 AM) *

Thanks, but this last sentence does not address what I am asking.

This thread is not intended as a referendum on inventor.
BaphometsAdvocate
QUOTE(BoF @ Mar 28 2008, 12:19 PM) *
QUOTE(BaphometsAdvocate @ Mar 28 2008, 11:17 AM) *

Thanks, but this last sentence does not address what I am asking.

This thread is not intended as a referendum on inventor.

Yeah well you know how it is here. Someone will always come along and take your thread in a direction you weren't expecting. No one does that to their own threads except Inventor.
Ultimatejoe
The reporting process is private for a reason; when you publicly announce your personal opinions of other posters, you create a climate which is not condusive towards intelligent debate. Lest we all forget, that's the reason we're here. Posts which announce "I think someone should be banned" contribute nothing but animosity to the Forums.

The Staff determines who stays and who goes, so recommendations serve no function whatsoever. Repeating these hostile assertions only furthers the damage... both to the level of decorum, and the esteem in which our more reasonable members (who don't engage in such childish behaviour) hold the speaker in question.
phaedrus
Some boards prohibit commenting on reported posts, apparently AD does not. I don't really have a problem with someone expressing an opinion like that. For the most part Moderators will ignore the remark, they simply look at the reported or offensive post to see if there is a rule violation requiring action. What you recommend in your post is your opinion and AD encourages people expressing their opinion. Should it have any weight? Well...yea...if the Moderator finds it persuasive.
scubatim
QUOTE(BoF @ Mar 28 2008, 10:51 AM) *

Is it appropriate for one member to call for the banning of another member on the public board? Is this a can of worms we really want to open?

I think you have a valid point. This can only bring the nonsense that has pushed so many away from other sites to ad.gif. I don't see anything productive to posts like these. We can all probably think of at least one member here that we could live without, but to start the war of this type will only denigrate this site. I do have a question though, if a member sends PMs that are beyond mature or civil, can those be reported as well? My question does not refer to any specific PMs, but we all know that the PM system can be abusive when used by people with ill intentions. I know we can block, but when certain members PM hateful, insulting rubbish, there has to be something more than to just block them. Banning them comes to mind.

So to answer your question, I think the post was uncalled for. At least in a public forum.
entspeak

Nope. This is best left for private messages, if it is to be done at all. Just as it is best not to mention in a thread that you are reporting a particular post.
JohnfrmCleveland

I would say that things should be kept quiet - with one exception. If you believe that someone is truly a problem, and you have already gone through the correct (private) channels to no avail a few times, maybe a public referendum on a member would be called for. I doubt this would come up much, as our moderators seem pretty responsive to me.

In this case, I think I just would have left the Rathergate thread long ago. But I can certainly understand the frustration. You don't want these types getting in the last word. It rubs us opinionated types the wrong way.
Amlord
QUOTE(scubatim @ Mar 28 2008, 01:30 PM) *

I think you have a valid point. This can only bring the nonsense that has pushed so many away from other sites to ad.gif. I don't see anything productive to posts like these. We can all probably think of at least one member here that we could live without, but to start the war of this type will only denigrate this site. I do have a question though, if a member sends PMs that are beyond mature or civil, can those be reported as well? My question does not refer to any specific PMs, but we all know that the PM system can be abusive when used by people with ill intentions. I know we can block, but when certain members PM hateful, insulting rubbish, there has to be something more than to just block them. Banning them comes to mind.

Abusing any of the systems of ad.gif, including the PM system, is against the Rules and is definitely grounds for immediate disciplinary action.

žD. Personal Correspondence and Information
I. Sending harassing correspondence of any sort to any member is prohibited. This includes personal messages, email, etc.

II. Posting personal message exchanges without consent from all parties involved is prohibited. This applies to correspondence between other members AND correspondence between staff.

III. Posting email addresses, postal addresses, telephone numbers, or any other sort of identifiable personal information, yours or otherwise, is prohibited. This is for your protection and ours.

On the subject specifically raised here, UJ covers it nicely... Expressing an opinion equivalent to "Go away!" is not healthy for reasoned debate.
Google
This is a simplified version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.