Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Party Specific Threads...
America's Debate > Forum Information > Comments and Suggestions
Google
BoF
Democrats are not allowed to post in Republican only threads and Republicans cannot post in Democratic only threads.
In Aquilla’s thread, a poll was included.
http://www.americasdebate.com/forums/index...mp;#entry245779

Nothing stops any member, Republican, Democrat, Green, Libertarian, Independent or none, from voting in a party specific poll.

There is a loophole that needs to be closed. As a test, I voted in Aquilla’s poll, nobody knows for which candidate, but it probably skewed the poll somewhat. So, just to put things back on the right foot, I voted for Hillary Clinton. You can subtract one Democratic vote for her.

This was a test case - I don't plan to vote in future Republican polls - but I’m wondering if there is some software rework that can eliminate possible corruption of future polls?
Google
Victoria Silverwolf
Interesting point. I think it is perfectly possible for anybody to post on any thread, so the party-specific threads pretty much work on the honor system anyway. Just a thought.
BoF
QUOTE(Victoria Silverwolf @ May 15 2008, 09:48 PM) *
Interesting point. I think it is perfectly possible for anybody to post on any thread, so the party-specific threads pretty much work on the honor system anyway.

I'm not talking about posting in the thread. This has happened in the past and the mods removed posts by members who were not registered with that party.

I am talking about voting in a poll that goes with such a thread. There is no way to verify who voted. I am suggesting that polls in party specific threads might not, in many cases, measure the people the author wishes to measure.
Victoria Silverwolf
Got ya. Sounds like a technically difficult issue. (Not that I really know anything about such things.) Good luck, moderators!
nighttimer
I'm not a fan of party-specific threads. By their nature they are exclusionary and tend to encourage "me too" posts instead of genuine debating and the free exchange of ideas.

The Women's Issues and Men Issues forums are not gender restricted. No one would ever dream of making The Race Debate forum off-limits to Whites.

It's time to take the next step in ad.gif evolution and ditch the forums that block debate, not enhance it.
Jobius
QUOTE(nighttimer @ May 15 2008, 09:26 PM) *
I'm not a fan of party-specific threads. By their nature they are exclusionary and tend to encourage "me too" posts instead of genuine debating and the free exchange of ideas.

The Women's Issues and Men Issues forums are not gender restricted. No one would ever dream of making The Race Debate forum off-limits to Whites.

It's time to take the next step in ad.gif evolution and ditch the forums that block debate, not enhance it.

I tend to agree. I'm all in favor of freedom of association, and if party members want to talk amongst themselves, that's fine. But is AD really the place for that?

Of course, I say that with "Party affiliation: None" in the sidebar (like NT), which apparently means we're not welcome even in the "Independent/3rd Party Debate" forum. It's discrimination, I tells ya...
azwhitewolf
Jobius said:
I say that with "Party affiliation: None" in the sidebar (like NT), which apparently means we're not welcome even in the "Independent/3rd Party Debate" forum. It's discrimination, I tells ya...

Discrimination?! Hey, you indepedent/3rd party guys are the ones that can't make up your minds. laugh.gif Don't blame US that you don't pick a side.

That's like playing the field, and then complaining about a lack of commitment.

I secretly think you like when the parties ditch their core supporters to cater to your flutter-in-the-wind whims every election year.
tongue.gif
Google
This is a simplified version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.