Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New buttons?
America's Debate > Forum Information > Comments and Suggestions
Google
entspeak
I noticed a new button under the posts. It says "New Topic". When I click on it, it switches to a slightly smaller button labeled "Quote". What does this do?

*edited to add:

Oh, I think this might be a Firefox issue. I don't get the same thing using IE. I also noted that in Firefox, the red boxes under people's avatars are replaced by "Top" buttons. It's like ad.gif on LSD.
Google
Mike
Heya entspeak,

Nothing has changed design wise in a couple of years, so there should be no new buttons.

The Top button is just a bit of javascript to punt you back to the top of the page. It should appear below the member info (group, posts, join date, etc), and to the left of the Report button. I use FireFox, and those two buttons are right next to each other, maybe 3 pixels apart.

The Quote button, if it's the same one I'm thinking of, is the multi-quote feature. You can click that button below any number of posts-- in multiple topics or the same topic-- and those posts will all be quoted when you next hit reply. All it does is write the post IDs to a cookie that is checked when you hit the Add Reply button so the original posts can be pulled and formatted.

I'm wondering if you've either got a corrupted style sheet, or if something is blocking some of the page elements. Try a CTRL+Refresh in FireFox to pull a new style sheet, and check if something like AdBlock might be blocking some of our page elements.

smile.gif

Mike
entspeak
QUOTE(Mike @ Jul 23 2008, 11:22 AM) *
Heya entspeak,

Nothing has changed design wise in a couple of years, so there should be no new buttons.

The Top button is just a bit of javascript to punt you back to the top of the page. It should appear below the member info (group, posts, join date, etc), and to the left of the Report button. I use FireFox, and those two buttons are right next to each other, maybe 3 pixels apart.

The Quote button, if it's the same one I'm thinking of, is the multi-quote feature. You can click that button below any number of posts-- in multiple topics or the same topic-- and those posts will all be quoted when you next hit reply. All it does is write the post IDs to a cookie that is checked when you hit the Add Reply button so the original posts can be pulled and formatted.

I'm wondering if you've either got a corrupted style sheet, or if something is blocking some of the page elements. Try a CTRL+Refresh in FireFox to pull a new style sheet, and check if something like AdBlock might be blocking some of our page elements.

smile.gif

Mike

CTRL + Refresh fixed it. Thanks! thumbsup.gif Dash-gum those corrupt style sheets! I want my sheets to be both stylish and uncorrupt! Is that too much to ask? laugh.gif
Mike
QUOTE(entspeak @ Jul 23 2008, 12:28 PM) *
CTRL + Refresh fixed it. Thanks! thumbsup.gif Dash-gum those corrupt style sheets! I want my sheets to be both stylish and uncorrupt! Is that too much to ask? laugh.gif

I'm glad it worked. smile.gif

The strange thing, though, is that I just checked-- we're using a <style></style> in the head of our html, and not linking to a remote css file. The styles should be loaded fresh with every page. I don't see how it could have possibly gotten corrupt.

Oh well. At least it's back to normal. smile.gif

Mike
entspeak
QUOTE(Mike @ Jul 23 2008, 11:42 AM) *
QUOTE(entspeak @ Jul 23 2008, 12:28 PM) *

I'm glad it worked. smile.gif

The strange thing, though, is that I just checked-- we're using a <style></style> in the head of our html, and not linking to a remote css file. The styles should be loaded fresh with every page. I don't see how it could have possibly gotten corrupt.

Oh well. At least it's back to normal. smile.gif

Mike

I blame big government.
Thought Criminal
QUOTE(Mike @ Jul 23 2008, 12:22 PM) *
Heya entspeak,

smile.gif

Mike

Ah, that explains what the Quote button does: I was wondering.

I do have another question:
Is there any way for me to reply to one post in a forum and then immediately reply to another, without the two replies being glued together into a single one?

TC
Mike
QUOTE(Thought Criminal @ Jul 23 2008, 12:57 PM) *

Is there any way for me to reply to one post in a forum and then immediately reply to another, without the two replies being glued together into a single one?

TC

You mean post two posts in a row to the same topic? The auto-merge is active for 24 hours after a post is made. Unless someone else posts to the topic, consecutive posts will be merged for that timeframe.

We actually have that for a reason, though. Before auto-merge, we had a "no consecutive posts" rule because we found that members would post four, five, six posts in a row to the same topic. It became unwieldy, so we disallowed consecutive posts, suggesting editing the original post instead.

I think the auto-merge is a pretty good middle ground. Members can post as often as they want to any topic without having to worry about breaking some rule about how many times you can post in a row, and the staff doesn't have to spend time sending PMs to people to ask them to not double-post.

The multi-quote feature makes it easy to respond to multiple posts, and that helps too. Feel free to give it a try in the test forum. Hit the quote button on different posts in different topics, and then start a new topic or reply to an old topic. It works really well.

smile.gif

Mike
Thought Criminal
QUOTE(Mike @ Jul 23 2008, 01:15 PM) *
QUOTE(Thought Criminal @ Jul 23 2008, 12:57 PM) *

TC

You mean post two posts in a row to the same topic? The auto-merge is active for 24 hours after a post is made. Unless someone else posts to the topic, consecutive posts will be merged for that timeframe.

We actually have that for a reason, though. Before auto-merge, we had a "no consecutive posts" rule because we found that members would post four, five, six posts in a row to the same topic. It became unwieldy, so we disallowed consecutive posts, suggesting editing the original post instead.

I think the auto-merge is a pretty good middle ground. Members can post as often as they want to any topic without having to worry about breaking some rule about how many times you can post in a row, and the staff doesn't have to spend time sending PMs to people to ask them to not double-post.

The multi-quote feature makes it easy to respond to multiple posts, and that helps too. Feel free to give it a try in the test forum. Hit the quote button on different posts in different topics, and then start a new topic or reply to an old topic. It works really well.

smile.gif

Mike

The problem I ran into last night was that I replied to two posts (without anyone else posting during that interval) and each reply had a significant number of quotes that I was responding to, point by point. I was unable to save the second message because I had violated the limit on the number of quotes in a single message.

Initially, I wasn't sure what was causing the problem, since the error message area was blank, but I eventually figured it out after I tried posting it in pieces. In the end, I worked around it by combining quotes. However, I think this made my messages less clear, not more.

TC
Mike
Gotcha.

I just increased the number of quotes per post by half, up to 30 from 20.

Let's see how that goes. smile.gif

Mike
Thought Criminal
QUOTE(Mike @ Jul 23 2008, 01:23 PM) *
Gotcha.

I just increased the number of quotes per post by half, up to 30 from 20.

Let's see how that goes. smile.gif

Mike

Ok, thanks.

TC
Google
This is a simplified version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.