Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pelosi pays husband with PAC Funds
America's Debate > In the News > Election 2008
Google
Ted
Pelosi paid husband with PAC funds

$99,000 for rent, utilities, accounting fees

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi has directed nearly $100,000 from her political action committee to her husband's real estate and investment firm over the past decade, a practice of paying a spouse with political donations that she supported banning last year.
Financial Leasing Services Inc. (FLS), owned by Paul F. Pelosi, has received $99,000 in rent, utilities and accounting fees from the speaker's "PAC to the Future" over the PAC's nine-year history.

The payments have quadrupled since Mr. Pelosi took over as treasurer of his wife's committee in 2007, Federal Election Commission records show. FLS is on track to take in $48,000 in payments this year alone - eight times as much as it received annually from 2000 to 2005, when the committee was run by another treasurer.
http://www.washtimes.com/news/2008/oct/01/...r-spouses-firm/

"It's problematic," said Melanie Sloan, executive director of the Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington (CREW), a nonprofit ethics and watchdog group. "From what I understand, Mr. Pelosi doesn't need the money, but this isn't the issue. ... As speaker of the House, it sends the wrong message. She shouldn't be putting family members on the payroll."
http://forums.military.com/eve/forums/a/tp...m/6200053102001

Questions for the debate.

1. Are you disappointed that Pelosi has done this? Why or Why not.

2. is this business as usual in DC or should we expect more?

3. Is this the corruption and dishonesty in Congress that McCain is speaking of?

4. Is this how Democrats will “reform the way Washington does business”.

5. Does this make you more likely to vote for McCain, Barr or other third Party candidate?

Google
Victoria Silverwolf

Yes. Absolutely. When the loathsome activities of the current administration -- Guantanamo Bay, waterboarding, wiretapping, etc. -- became clear to enough of the American electorate to throw members of the same party out of office, we had a brief, shining moment when the other party had a chance to clean things up. (Throw out the PATRIOT Act, etc.) Instead, as almost all politicians do, they did just about nothing but line their pockets in legal ways. It stinks.

Both. It's business as usual, and it will never change; but we should demand more.

3. Is this the corruption and dishonesty in Congress that McCain is speaking of?

Yep. As just about every politician speaks of it, and adds to it.

4. Is this how Democrats will reform the way Washington does business.

It's the way both parties will continue to do business.

5. Does this make you more likely to vote for McCain, Barr or other third Party candidate?

One is saddened by the choice among out-and-out evil (the GOP, with its theocrats, corporationists, and torture-friendly neocon hawks), petty corruption (the Democrats, with their cowardly caving in on all issues), and losers (everybody else.) Obviously one must utterly reject the first, and make an unpleasant choice between the other two. Since the state in which I live is absolutely certain to vote for the Evil Empire, because of god, guns, and gays, it doesn't matter who I support. That's why my heart is with the hippie dreamers of the Green Party.
Doclotus
Yeah, this doesn't look good for Pelosi, especially given her previous PAC issues before she took over as speaker.

Ironically, as Speaker, she helped pass legislation in the House that would have banned allowing family members on the payroll of PAC's. I believe it is wasting away in the Senate Rules & Administration committee (Diane Feinstein is the chair).

PAC's really need to get some serious scrutiny in the next administration. Much of this was brought to light in the Abramoff scandal with some key GOP people paying their spouses for PAC work. Both sides do it, and on paper I don't have an issue with hiring your spouse to work your PAC. If you do it, though, it deserves extra scrutiny to make sure they are actually working for you and (obviously) the political action committee involved.

Will she lose Speaker over this? Maybe, but I doubt it.

Ted, you really need to work on your questions. Pelosi, isn't running for President, so no, it won't affect the vote that I can see. I'm sure the GOP will work this for all they can in the cycle, but the economy will continue to render it to noise at this point.

I do think its a bad practice for any politician, and Pelosi should be held accountable for it.
vsrenard

Yes, of course. It shows she's two-faced, opportunistic, and no better than most of her peers. Given the fanfare with which she swooped into power, I expected better from her. Well, no I didn't. But I'd hoped for better. This just confirms my general belief that we ought to throw the lot of Congress on out their heels. They've been a dismal failure.

It is business as usual and we should demand better. We should vote these clowns out until we get better.

It's the corruption and dishonesty every politician speaks of until s/he becomes entrenched in it. I suspect those who don't act this way never actually make it to Washington.

Obviously not.
But this behavior is not limited to Democrats by any means.

Why? What does one thing have to do with another? I vote for individual before party. Please tell me you do the same.
Ted
Doc
Ted, you really need to work on your questions. Pelosi, isn't running for President, so no, it won't affect the vote that I can see. I'm sure the GOP will work this for all they can in the cycle, but the economy will continue to render it to noise at this point.

Well Doc I do know that Pelosi is not running for POTUS (thank god). I also know though that the Dem Party came in 2 years ago to “lead” and made lots of promises – while blasting Repus.

Now they are doing the same damn thing as they say they hate and worse. So can it effect the race – sure if one believes McCain will try to clean it up.

He does by the way have a record of doing that – and not hunting PORK to boot.

I say we need McCain – and NOT someone that Pelosi will run all over in the WH.
BoF
QUOTE(Ted @ Oct 2 2008, 01:46 PM) *

Ted, what earthly evidence can you provide to prove that Pelosi would "run all over" Obama? If you have such evidence kindly post it. sleeping.gif
Ted
QUOTE(BoF @ Oct 2 2008, 03:22 PM) *
QUOTE(Ted @ Oct 2 2008, 01:46 PM) *

Ted, what earthly evidence can you provide to prove that Pelosi would "run all over" Obama? If you have such evidence kindly post it. sleeping.gif

The BIG key point here that makes my case is the earmarks issue. Obama emulating McCain (for show IMO) committed to suspend going after his usual pork and supported a Bill for a one year moratorium on earmarks – the bill was soundly defeated in Congress.

What evidence do you have that shows that having a Dem President will not just get us more of what we have had from them for the past 2 years? hmmm.gif Including tons of pork and Pelosi paying hubby with PAC money after saying she would like to make it illegal. ohmy.gif

Sure they will pass some of Obama’s big government programs for him and pile on the pork – which he will also sign.
BoF
QUOTE(Ted @ Oct 2 2008, 02:42 PM) *
Sure they will pass some of Obama’s big government programs for him and pile on the pork – which he will also sign.

Then don't you have it backwards? If Obama proposes something and Congress goes along, then who is leading who around? blink.gif

Which elephant had the trunk and which the tail during the six years that Bush had a Republican congress? unsure.gif
Ted
QUOTE(BoF @ Oct 2 2008, 03:52 PM) *
QUOTE(Ted @ Oct 2 2008, 02:42 PM) *

Then don't you have it backwards? If Obama proposes something and Congress goes along, then who is leading who around? blink.gif

Which elephant had the trunk and which the tail during the six years that Bush had a Republican congress? unsure.gif

DUH – did you eve read what I posted. wacko.gif blink.gif He supported a moratorium on earmarks for one year – they told him to shove it. They do what they want and he will have to go along imo.
BoF
QUOTE(Ted @ Oct 2 2008, 03:15 PM) *
DUH – did you eve [sic] read what I posted. wacko.gif blink.gif He supported a moratorium on earmarks for one year – they told him to shove it. They do what they want and he will have to go along imo.

Yes Ted, I read what you wrote.

Unfortunately earmarks were not part of your thread.

Remember your questions listed below? Where were earmarks listed? huh.gif

It's pretty sad down.gif when you can't eve[n] keep your own thread on topic.
Google
Ted
Bof
Yes Ted, I read what you wrote.

Unfortunately earmarks were not part of your thread.

Remember your questions listed below? Where were earmarks listed?

Belittling comment removed I was responding to your question:
“Ted, what earthly evidence can you provide to prove that Pelosi would "run all over" Obama?”

If you cannot remember what you were talking about 5 min ago I will not respond to you.

Again my point the Dem Congress and Pelosi have shown that Obama does not tell them what to do.

If he is elected we will have the same ol same ol as we have had with Repubs. There will be no “change” or reform from Obama imo.
Dontreadonme
Stop the inflammatory and belittling comments and discuss the questions at hand:

Questions for the debate.

This is a simplified version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.