Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Multiple Item Polls
America's Debate > Forum Information > Comments and Suggestions
Google
Hobbes
Was voting in Nighttimer's thread here, and the polling system wouldn't accept my vote. I purposely didn't vote in the first item, because none of the choices fit the answer I wanted to provide. I had an answer for the second item, but it wouldn't accept it because I left the first item blank. Essentially, it treats any non-reponse as if you hadn't responded to any items at all. There are many times where this situation occurs. My question is: Can the system be modified to allow for this? If there is a multiple item poll, it would nice to be able to register your vote on those items you have an answer for, without being force to choose something you disagree with just to register the other answers.
Google
Wertz
I'm not sure what would be involved in terms of coding for multiple items, but one easy way around this would be for those creating polls to include a "none of the above" or "no answer" option.
Hobbes
Absolutely, that would solve the problem. Except that not everybody does that..... sad.gif
Mike
While I'm sure this is possible, I'm not sure how complex it would be. The polling system for the forum, if I recall correctly from trying to modify it in the past, is quite difficult to modify. I've kind of put a temporary hold on any new modifications or changes to the code here until the next upgrade comes out. I anticipate its release sometime around the end of the year. It's going to be a very major upgrade.

I skipped the last upgrade because the amount of work required nullified any potential benefit we may have seen (and because I would have had to rebuild every single post over the course of several days on our 1GB posts table).

The next upgrade, though, I will definitely be doing, as it is basically a complete rewrite of the whole forum script. There will be tons of new features, tons of improvements, and an entirely new skin (although based around the skin we currently use). There is a possibility that nulling votes on individual questions within a poll will be a default feature, but I will have no way of knowing until I get my hands on a test version.

I think the short term solution is, like Wertz said, to make sure there is an option for "none of the above" or something like that. Of course, that puts the burden on the poll starter, not really the ideal way to implement this. But for the time being, it will have to do.

I don't see why there would be any problems with modifying a pre-existing poll to add a "none of the above" option, so if you stumble across a poll without the option and you would like it added, just contact Jaime or me and we'll get it added.

smile.gif

Mike
Hobbes
Thanks, Mike. If this is, as you say, difficult to modify, then this issue isn't worth it. It only happens occassionally, and as has been mentioned, is simple enough to work around.

The particular thread I ran into this on is already quite active, so not worth modifying it now. If I run into another one, I'll let you know.
Google
This is a simplified version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.