Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A Request........
America's Debate > Forum Information > Comments and Suggestions
Google
Dontreadonme
I'm probably not the only member with this predicament. I am on a military domain while at work; and while I can view other forum-type sites, Americasdebate.com is blocked by the Directorate of Information Management (DOIM).

So when I am slacking throughout the day, I'm forced to read ad.gif on my Blackberry. I have a simple request.

Can we pleeeeaase stop quoting entire book length posts in responses, only to respond with one or two lines of text , that only pertained to part of the post to begin with?

Thank you.

flowers.gif
Google
entspeak
QUOTE(Dontreadonme @ Jan 22 2009, 03:41 PM) *
flowers.gif

No prob.
Trouble
thumbsup.gif
entspeak
QUOTE(Trouble @ Jan 22 2009, 04:22 PM) *

Yep.
Wertz
And if anyone needs help with this, there's a handy tutorial here - and a few further notes (with a similar request) here. mrsparkle.gif
Ted
np
My MO in most cases
Dontreadonme
QUOTE(entspeak @ Jan 22 2009, 05:24 PM) *
QUOTE(Trouble @ Jan 22 2009, 04:22 PM) *

Yep.

Everybody's a wisenheimer.......... tongue.gif
entspeak
QUOTE(Dontreadonme @ Jan 23 2009, 11:21 AM) *
tongue.gif

Yep. hehe.
JohnfrmCleveland
A
r
e

v
e
r
t
i
c
a
l

p
o
s
t
s

a
g
a
i
n
s
t

t
h
e

r
u
l
e
s
?
entspeak
QUOTE(JohnfrmCleveland @ Jan 23 2009, 04:44 PM) *
?

N
o
p
e

Google
AuthorMusician
get a netbook
Maybe Maybe Not
QUOTE(Dontreadonme @ Jan 22 2009, 04:41 PM) *
Can we pleeeeaase stop quoting entire book length posts in responses, only to respond with one or two lines of text , that only pertained to part of the post to begin with?
On other boards, I've found the occasional poster who simply doesn't realize there is a way to add a post to a thread without quoting anything at all from the previous post. Their habit is to hit "Reply" at the bottom of the most recent post rather than the "Add Reply" button below.

I don't know what the forum software allows, but what about sizing, coloring, and/or positioning the buttons differently so as to draw more attention to the "Add Reply" button, and draw attention away from the "Reply [to post]" button?
Dontreadonme
QUOTE(AuthorMusician @ Jan 24 2009, 06:29 AM) *
get a netbook

Wouldn't solve my dilemma. I work in a secure facility that doesn't allow personal laptops. Every laptop in the facility can only be connected to the .mil domain. I sneak around this to read ad.gif on my Blackberry; which isn't explicitly forbidden. It is however, a pain in the rear to attempt to read posts and have to scroll through insanely large quotes.....especially when the response is almost always limited to a small portion of that quoted post.

Luckily I travel about 50-75% of the time, so my restriction on ad.gif isn't critical, just annoying.
Wertz
QUOTE(Maybe Maybe Not @ Jan 25 2009, 12:48 PM) *
On other boards, I've found the occasional poster who simply doesn't realize there is a way to add a post to a thread without quoting anything at all from the previous post. Their habit is to hit "Reply" at the bottom of the most recent post rather than the "Add Reply" button below.

I don't know what the forum software allows, but what about sizing, coloring, and/or positioning the buttons differently so as to draw more attention to the "Add Reply" button, and draw attention away from the "Reply [to post]" button?

I'm not sure if it would make much difference. There's a thread similar to this one almost annually (and the one I cited earlier specifically tried to draw attention to the two different buttons) and they never seem to make much impact. I've even PMed a few guilty parties with links to such threads - to little avail. Some people just don't get it (and probably never will) or they just don't care. Even eliminating the "Reply" button would no doubt lead to their hitting "Quote" and "Add Reply" without editing the quote, which would still make no difference. rolleyes.gif

The only thing that might make a small impact is if the failure to edit posts when replying were some sort of rule violation which could lead to disciplinary action - and that might be a bit draconian (not that I wouldn't whole-heartedly support it happy.gif).
Bikerdad
QUOTE(Dontreadonme @ Jan 22 2009, 03:41 PM) *
<i>snip</i>
Yup. thumbsup.gif
AuthorMusician
live free or die
net2007

Your poor blackberry battery! tongue.gif

I'll try and keep the quoted parts I respond to short and relevant. I can't promise anything about my actual post though, some of them tend to be long.
Coaster
Quote book-length posts? Don't worry about me, I don't even read book length posts. Oh wait a minute: Your topic was addressed to "esteemed" members. Never mind.
This is a simplified version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.