Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Down time with the Americas Debate Radio Podcast
America's Debate > Forum Information > Comments and Suggestions
Google
Dingo
There probably isn't much that can be done about this but I thought I would get it on the record anyway. Yesterday evening I was listening to the latest ADR podcast offered on a quick time plugin when my local ISP disconnected, a not particularly unusual occurrence with Cruzio. It was in the middle of a discussion with Trouble which I found interesting. No big deal I thought. I reconnected and relinked to the podcast expecting I would be able to reset the "dial" to where I had left off, like you can with say Youtube. No such luck. The only option was to restart the broadcast from the beginning, which at that point I wasn't about to do.

Just thought I would check and see if management had any thoughts on listening modalities that would allow one to connect to a podcast at different points on the time scale.
Google
Mike
QUOTE(Dingo @ Apr 23 2009, 06:33 PM) *
There probably isn't much that can be done about this but I thought I would get it on the record anyway. Yesterday evening I was listening to the latest ADR podcast offered on a quick time plugin when my local ISP disconnected, a not particularly unusual occurrence with Cruzio. It was in the middle of a discussion with Trouble which I found interesting. No big deal I thought. I reconnected and relinked to the podcast expecting I would be able to reset the "dial" to where I had left off, like you can with say Youtube. No such luck. The only option was to restart the broadcast from the beginning, which at that point I wasn't about to do.

Just thought I would check and see if management had any thoughts on listening modalities that would allow one to connect to a podcast at different points on the time scale.

Hey Dingo,

Hmmm... that's not how I meant for it to work. ermm.gif

We have the file available as an MP3 for download, and as an M3U, which is a streaming MP3. Some players allow you to seek M3U, some don't.

What player do you use. Quicktime, right? Do you click the "Stream" or the "Download" button to open it, or do you open it some other way?

I'll get this fixed. Worst case, I can put up an inline player-- something that I meant to do when we started the show-- so that seeking is possible.

Let me know how you listen, and I'll get it fixed.

Thanks for letting me know about this!

Mike
Trouble
The stream link has no breaks Dingo. I listened to it after reading your query and found no problems. However Winamp is not Cruzio so maybe someone else can chime in. Maybe Mike can recreate the link.

So what you are saying is that the government is out to get me? I knew it. laugh.gif ph34r.gif
Mike
QUOTE(Trouble @ Apr 23 2009, 06:57 PM) *
The stream link has no breaks Dingo. I listened to it after reading your query and found no problems. However Winamp is not Cruzio so maybe someone else can chime in. Maybe Mike can recreate the link.

I think Cruzio is Dingo's ISP, not the player. I think Quicktime is the player. smile.gif

I'm looking into this now. I don't use Quicktime, so I'm installing it on a VirtualPC to see if I get the same results.

So what you are saying is that the government is out to get me? I knew it. laugh.gif ph34r.gif

I think the time for debate on that has passed. wink.gif laugh.gif

Mike

------------------------------------------
POST 2

Dingo, I put the call with Trouble up for you as a separate MP3:

http://radio.americasdebate.net/audio_arch...-22-Trouble.mp3

smile.gif

Mike

POST 3

OK, I've been doing some research, assuming that QuickTime is the player you're using, Dingo.

What I have found is that QuickTime doesn't like M3U playlists like we use, even though the format we use has been the informal standard for years and years. The only reason I can think of as to why QuickTime wouldn't be able to properly handle M3U playlists is that Apple chose to not properly handle M3U playlists.

The problem is that QuickTime doesn't know the length of the file, and so it arbitrarily sets it at 10 seconds. The file starts playing, and the little indicator needle moves from left to right across the progress indicator bar for the first ten seconds, and then disappears off the meter to the right. If you click in the area where the needle should be, it will take you back to somewhere within the first ten seconds, the scale of the progress indicator bar.

The workaround I came up with is not pretty, but it is the only option I can come up with short of suggesting that you switch players.

First, start playing the file like normal. You'll notice that the progress indicator needle moves left to right very fast, over the course of the first ten seconds of playback. Then, click the fast-forward button for a moment. This forces QuickTime to assess the length of the file, I think, and resets the scale of the progress indicator bar to the length of the actual file. It should then possible to click anywhere in the progress indicator bar to seek to any part of the show.

I tried using extended M3U directives. This allows me to specify the file length in seconds, which would presumably allow QuickTime to properly setup their progress indicator bar. It didn't work-- QuickTime ignores extended M3U directives.

As a last resort, I would be happy to put in an embedded player that would allow you to seek to any part of the show, with the trade-off being that the player would have to reside in a browser window. Give the fast-forwarding trick a try, and let me know if it works for you.

smile.gif

Mike
entspeak
I just opened an ad.gif radio m3u in quicktime without a problem - was able to seek anywhere. I also listen to the show live in iTunes on occasion which is also QT based. I don't recall trying to seek during a live feed, though. I'll have to see if I can do that next time.
Mike
I didn't think Dingo means he's trying to seek during a live feed, although now that I reread the initial post, it is quite probable that I'm reading it wrong... heh.

If you're trying to rewind/fast forward the live stream (9PM-Midnight Eastern on Wednesdays), then no, that won't work. You would have to wait for the podcast to come out, usually around 1AM, an hour after the show ends. Or, you can download / stream the show from the archive on the radio site, which is posted the same time as the podcast.

By the way, I tested using an XP SP3 VirtualPC running a clean install of QuickTime 7.6 (472), and I initiated the stream in both IE6 and FF3, not that it should make any difference.

Thanks for the help, entspeak!

smile.gif

Mike
Dingo
QUOTE(Mike @ Apr 23 2009, 07:20 PM) *
OK, I've been doing some research, assuming that QuickTime is the player you're using, Dingo.

What I have found is that QuickTime doesn't like M3U playlists like we use, even though the format we use has been the informal standard for years and years. The only reason I can think of as to why QuickTime wouldn't be able to properly handle M3U playlists is that Apple chose to not properly handle M3U playlists.

The problem is that QuickTime doesn't know the length of the file, and so it arbitrarily sets it at 10 seconds. The file starts playing, and the little indicator needle moves from left to right across the progress indicator bar for the first ten seconds, and then disappears off the meter to the right. If you click in the area where the needle should be, it will take you back to somewhere within the first ten seconds, the scale of the progress indicator bar.

The workaround I came up with is not pretty, but it is the only option I can come up with short of suggesting that you switch players.

First, start playing the file like normal. You'll notice that the progress indicator needle moves left to right very fast, over the course of the first ten seconds of playback. Then, click the fast-forward button for a moment. This forces QuickTime to assess the length of the file, I think, and resets the scale of the progress indicator bar to the length of the actual file. It should then possible to click anywhere in the progress indicator bar to seek to any part of the show.

I tried using extended M3U directives. This allows me to specify the file length in seconds, which would presumably allow QuickTime to properly setup their progress indicator bar. It didn't work-- QuickTime ignores extended M3U directives.

As a last resort, I would be happy to put in an embedded player that would allow you to seek to any part of the show, with the trade-off being that the player would have to reside in a browser window. Give the fast-forwarding trick a try, and let me know if it works for you.

smile.gif

Mike

First Mike thanks for your efforts. The fast forward trick doesn't work for me. And also thanks for the Trouble discussion. I heard it all. The guy is making good points.

A few comments to clarify things.
1. I only have dialup, so I am the lowest of the low in the speed department. I even have to buffer the audio stream.
2. Yes I am using QuickTime. It comes on automatically with this podcast audio and many other podcast audios I might add, like for instance democracynow.com. No other option shows up.
3. I have other players like RealPlayer and WinAmp. In fact my default player for most audios like playing ADR in real time or downloading MP3 music is with RealPlayer.
4. Just to let you know how computer challenged I am I never heard of M3U.
5. Not that these facts are probably useful but I have a Windows XP and use a Mozilla Firefox browser.
6. As I'm sure you understand the incomplete podcast is the problem not a completed one that stays on my computer with its download until I turn the computer off. Once the incomplete podcast loses its internet connection I'm back to ground zero and must start all over again with no ability to start at a more advanced point.

Any solutions you might have to my incomplete podcast cutoff problem would be appreciated.

Dingo
entspeak
Dingo,

If you right-click on the link and select "Save Target As...", you should be able to download the stream link to your desktop. Then you can right-click on that file and choose "Open With..." to open it with another player. I don't know that this will fix your problem, but it will allow you to listen to the show in your favorite program, I believe.

Are you listening to the live feed... as the show is going on? Or are you listening to it after. If it is the former, the only solution might be to download the completed show to catch what you missed.
Dingo
QUOTE(entspeak @ Apr 24 2009, 01:41 AM) *
Dingo,

If you right-click on the link and select "Save Target As...", you should be able to download the stream link to your desktop. Then you can right-click on that file and choose "Open With..." to open it with another player. I don't know that this will fix your problem, but it will allow you to listen to the show in your favorite program, I believe.

Are you listening to the live feed... as the show is going on? Or are you listening to it after. If it is the former, the only solution might be to download the completed show to catch what you missed.

Thanks entspeak, I was able to begin downloading the podcast to RealPlayer following your instruction and have the RP podcast icon on my desktop and virtual radio player activated. I also can retain what I downloaded when the internet is disconnected which I couldn't before with QuickTime. However I still can't reactivate the podcast from the point of the break after reconnecting with the internet. Got any thoughts on that?

Dingo
Google
This is a simplified version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.