Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Still remembering Wertz
America's Debate > Forum Information > Comments and Suggestions
Google
Paladin Elspeth
It was a sad day when I finally purged my PM records of communications from Wertz.

Today, I notice that it is Wertz's birthday, that he would have been 55.

Is it possible to take his birthdate off his personal information and leave it otherwise intact, so that we can still read his posts but won't be reminded annually of what age he would have been were he still alive?

Thanks.
Google
overlandsailor

It should be turned into some sort of ad.gif holiday in my opinion. We named days after important people on the national level, why not make it a special day of some sort here at ad.gif? Obviously it wouldn't give us a day off or anything, but then again neither do the various people based holidays on our national calendar anymore. rolleyes.gif
Paladin Elspeth
QUOTE(overlandsailor)
It should be turned into some sort of ad.gif holiday in my opinion. We named days after important people on the national level, why not make it a special day of some sort here at ad.gif ? Obviously it wouldn't give us a day off or anything, but then again neither do the various people based holidays on our national calendar anymore. rolleyes.gif

I don't have a problem with that, but what would we do in commemoration that is different from what we do any other day here?

It's just sad to have that little birthday reminder when he's gone. And it might be confusing to some old timer who has been away awhile and didn't realize that Bill died and comes back. S/he might actually open up a Birthday Greeting thread for him.
Dontreadonme
My personal opinion is that having the annual Best Debater award named for him is an honor, and enough. I only knew Bill online, but I'm not sure he would relish too much recognition. I think he viewed himself as an average American, working for goals of the common good....but not seeking any spotlight. Since the birthday notices are for active members, I do advocate removing his name.

Just my 2 cents....
overlandsailor
QUOTE(Paladin Elspeth @ Sep 8 2009, 04:25 PM) *
It's just sad to have that little birthday reminder when he's gone. And it might be confusing to some old timer who has been away awhile and didn't realize that Bill died and comes back. S/he might actually open up a Birthday Greeting thread for him.

very good point. I agree.

QUOTE(Dontreadonme @ Sep 8 2009, 04:30 PM) *
My personal opinion is that having the annual Best Debater award named for him is an honor, and enough. I only knew Bill online, but I'm not sure he would relish too much recognition. I think he viewed himself as an average American, working for goals of the common good....but not seeking any spotlight. Since the birthday notices are for active members, I do advocate removing his name.

Just my 2 cents....

Darn good value on the 2 cents. mrsparkle.gif

Seriously, I only knew him online as well (though I'd talked to him once or twice via phone), but I have to agree with you that excessive recognition would have likely annoyed him (which sorta makes me want to do more rolleyes.gif j/k ). I agree, the Best Debater award being named after him would likely sneak by his modesty and is quite appropriate.

Thanks for the reality check DTOM thumbsup.gif

Jaime
I guess I have to place myself in the 'disagree' category with PE (sorry PE - you know I adore you!).

As hinted at by OS in his first post to this topic - in the US, we honor those we respect on their birthdays - Washington, Lincoln, MLK (all federally) - they are each honored on their respective birthdays.

Wertz, one of the most respected and honored ad.gif members to date, deserves to have his birthday remembered among us, his community. I don't want to stop remembering Wertz, especially on his birthday. I know how much I personally look forward to getting birthday greetings from all of you on my day; Wertz deserves the same, if not more, IMHO. Plus, frankly, it's not like any of us are obligated to post something regarding each subsequent birthday. Merely remembering, in our minds, may be enough. I'd still like to have the yearly reminder.

Acknowledging Wertz's birthday provides ad.gif with a useful reminder of the mature, civil debates we strive for here. What's the harm of honoring one of our most regarded members, despite his passing, on the day he first graced our earth? Erasing the calendar reminder of his birthday does a bigger disservice than it does good, wouldn't you say?
Ted
QUOTE(Jaime @ Sep 8 2009, 07:09 PM) *
I guess I have to place myself in the 'disagree' category with PE (sorry PE - you know I adore you!).

As hinted at by OS in his first post to this topic - in the US, we honor those we respect on their birthdays - Washington, Lincoln, MLK (all federally) - they are each honored on their respective birthdays.

Wertz, one of the most respected and honored ad.gif members to date, deserves to have his birthday remembered among us, his community. I don't want to stop remembering Wertz, especially on his birthday. I know how much I personally look forward to getting birthday greetings from all of you on my day; Wertz deserves the same, if not more, IMHO. Plus, frankly, it's not like any of us are obligated to post something regarding each subsequent birthday. Merely remembering, in our minds, may be enough. I'd still like to have the yearly reminder.

Acknowledging Wertz's birthday provides ad.gif with a useful reminder of the mature, civil debates we strive for here. What's the harm of honoring one of our most regarded members, despite his passing, on the day he first graced our earth? Erasing the calendar reminder of his birthday does a bigger disservice than it does good, wouldn't you say?

I agree. Even though he may have not cared the remembrance is for us here at AD after all.

He is certainly worth remembering.

La Herring Rouge
I just want to say that I'm stunned to return to ad.gif to find that we lost Wertz. I have always waxed and waned with my appearances here and have taken for granted that Wertz's brilliant arguments and lighthearted commentaries would be waiting for me when I returned. He made me smile because I learned from him every time he posted. Often he elicited other emotional outbursts from me as I read. His blend of intellect, humility and humanity is unparalleled here. I imagine people found him that special everywhere he went. One would think it to be hard to be so saddened over a loss that would appear to be so remote...

Please keep all reminders of Bill intact here on ad.gif. I argue that more should be done. Some of his posts during the 2003 run-up to the war and during the intense WMD debates should be dredged up from the archives and bronzed for all who pass through these electronic gates. They were the most articulate, well-researched and poignant arguments ever to grace this website. They should be required reading for any would-be debater. (I have visited the archive shrine to re-read his argument multiple times in the past. I've even sifted through them to show friends the quality of dialogue to be found here)

Once again, I'm sad to have returned to this...perhaps I should go back to fly-fishing; it's far less depressing.
Julian
Just a small note to say that another way we have of remembering Bill* is the active threads he has left running. Most particularly, the Current Cinema thread, which could last forever, in theory. I always think of him when I see it appear in the "View New Posts" results.

*It's a bit like Fight Club that we remember him by his given name after he's gone, but use his chosen nom de guerre during his life. In a good way, I mean. Though, of course, the analogy is spoiled somewhat by him using his real-life surname as his handle, and also by me using my given name as mine. If I get hit by the proverbial bus tomorrow, any ad.gif memorialising (which I'd be humbled to receive) would feel of necessity less affectionate because everyone already refers to me by my first name. Should've thought of that when I thought of my handle. :shrug:
Paladin Elspeth
QUOTE(La Herring Rouge @ Sep 8 2009, 10:02 PM) *
I just want to say that I'm stunned to return to ad.gif to find that we lost Wertz. I have always waxed and waned with my appearances here and have taken for granted that Wertz's brilliant arguments and lighthearted commentaries would be waiting for me when I returned. He made me smile because I learned from him every time he posted. Often he elicited other emotional outbursts from me as I read. His blend of intellect, humility and humanity is unparalleled here. I imagine people found him that special everywhere he went. One would think it to be hard to be so saddened over a loss that would appear to be so remote...

Please keep all reminders of Bill intact here on ad.gif . I argue that more should be done. Some of his posts during the 2003 run-up to the war and during the intense WMD debates should be dredged up from the archives and bronzed for all who pass through these electronic gates. They were the most articulate, well-researched and poignant arguments ever to grace this website. They should be required reading for any would-be debater. (I have visited the archive shrine to re-read his argument multiple times in the past. I've even sifted through them to show friends the quality of dialogue to be found here)

Once again, I'm sad to have returned to this...perhaps I should go back to fly-fishing; it's far less depressing.

I'm sorry, LHR. I can imagine how this is hitting you. This was my point. A perennial reminder is not a bad thing unless someone who has been away for a while returns and obviously isn't aware of Wertz's passing. Then the grief happens all over again.

Again, I have no problem with honoring his memory in any way. It just seems strange for the computer to continue to tally how many years he has been on this earth when he's been gone. Theoretically, he will still be accruing birthdays here after I'm gone. unsure.gif Could there be a way for this site to indicate which day is his birthday without assigning a number?
Google
Julian
It's a small point, but where in ad.gif "pops up" to remind you it's anybody's birthday? I've never noticed it, unless I actually open up a member's profile, and it would be quite handy, if only so's I'm not perpetually several days late posting birthday wishes... blush.gif
Paladin Elspeth
QUOTE(Julian @ Sep 9 2009, 12:27 PM) *
It's a small point, but where in ad.gif "pops up" to remind you it's anybody's birthday? I've never noticed it, unless I actually open up a member's profile, and it would be quite handy, if only so's I'm not perpetually several days late posting birthday wishes... blush.gif

It's located in the Board Statistics box on the Forum page.
AuthorMusician
QUOTE(Paladin Elspeth @ Sep 8 2009, 04:17 PM) *
It was a sad day when I finally purged my PM records of communications from Wertz.

Today, I notice that it is Wertz's birthday, that he would have been 55.

Is it possible to take his birthdate off his personal information and leave it otherwise intact, so that we can still read his posts but won't be reminded annually of what age he would have been were he still alive?

Thanks.

Yeah, I have enough of them jarring days of the year. This is one of the reasons I never do Happy Birthdays on ad.gif Celebrating Lydia's birthday (week actually) on the Day of the Dead is the only one.

I do miss Wertz. Lots of people do. He earned it.

For the members whom I neglect on your birthdays, please understand that it isn't a slight. It's my own emotions that can tear my heart apart and fully screw up what would have otherwise been a perfectly good numbered day. Completely selfish. Today seems to be better, maybe because there isn't a direct connection but only a memory. It's one of those psychic things rolleyes.gif
This is a simplified version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.