Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Drunk United Airlines Pilot---So What?
America's Debate > Everything Else > Old news
Google
Dayna_SaGR
Yeah, I know. The topic title was designed to get you to click.

But I really do want to know:

-Why is the drunken United Airlines pilot (who didn't even actually fly in such a condition) such hot news, but there's no reporting on the 72 people per day killed in drunk driving accidents (not to mention the 700 injured)? Shouldn't we have announcements every morning about "so-and-so, who is a LICENSED MOTOR VEHICLE OPERATOR, killed X number of people today. And so did this guy and that lady and that dude..."?

I just want to know why. Anybody have an answer?

Google
Nighthunter
QUOTE(Dayna_SaGR @ Nov 12 2009, 12:17 AM) *
Yeah, I know. The topic title was designed to get you to click.

But I really do want to know:

-Why is the drunken United Airlines pilot (who didn't even actually fly in such a condition) such hot news, but there's no reporting on the 72 people per day killed in drunk driving accidents (not to mention the 700 injured)? Shouldn't we have announcements every morning about "so-and-so, who is a LICENSED MOTOR VEHICLE OPERATOR, killed X number of people today. And so did this guy and that lady and that dude..."?

I just want to know why. Anybody have an answer?

Answer: news has to be sexy, Dayna_SaGR! Neither the consumers of news stories, nor those 'making' the News are in a state of moral perfection. I might be prepared to watch one dreadful account of a person victimized by a boozed up driver. I also might be interested in Paris Hilton getting plucked by cops from her Lamborghini or Hummer Hybrid, even if she hasn't run over anyone, or even if she was 100% sober. 72 drunk driver reports exceed my attention span, and I switch channels. That's just keeping it real.

Now, this United Airlines pilot, THAT gets my attention. Actually I'm horrified, since I too at times fly, trusting my life, and that of my family, to the professionalism and training of our pilot. And nowadays planes carry well over a hundred passengers per flight. I'm sure I'm not alone in wanting to hear about drunken pilots, pilots asleep at the controls (or goofing off with their laptops) whatever...

Nighthunter
Jaime

Topic closed...

Reason: Question to debate too vague.

Recommended action:
If you started this topic, please contact the staff member who closed it by clicking the PM button below this post with a clear question to debate.

Helpful links:
- Starting New Topics
- Survival Guide
- The Rules
- Staff Directory

Note: This is an automated response.

Google
This is a simplified version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.