Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hello everyone!
America's Debate > Everything Else > Casual Conversation > Introductions
Google
ColoradoPlebeian
Hello everyone! My name is Les, and I am new to America's Debate. I became interested in this site after browsing the contents of the forums. There are many great topics being discussed here, and the quality of the discussion seems to be far more constructive than I have seen in other places. I look forward to exploring more of the threads created here and I hope to be able to add to some of them in a constructive way. I am sure that my initial attempts will present many opportunities for the membership to challenge and dismantle the content of my posts, but that is one of the attractive things about this site. I hope to learn from everyone, either through their well presented ideas, or through the process of others showing me problems with ideas that I present.

I was, at one time, comfortable in describing myself as a Republican. As the years have gone by, my personal experiences and observations have lead me to a point where I am no longer comfortable with that description. I have found no other political party whose platform I am comfortable enough with to declare my allegiance to. This is the reason I have listed "none" for party affiliation. To go even one step further, I feel at this time that political parties (especially the two main parties in our politics) are having a negative influence on our government. Because of this, I do not see myself associating in a meaningful way with a political party anytime in the near future.

I also have a hard time placing myself into a category based on my political ideas. In the past, I would not have hesitated to describe myself as conservative. I realize though, that I have views on certain issues that most would consider far from conservative. This is the reason that I would consider my political ideas to be "independent." I am sure that as time goes on, I will discover new approaches to ideas which may change my political views. Until then, I currently feel that the best description for me would be an "independent with no political party."

I look forward to becoming active within the community, and I appreciate the opportunity to do so.

Cordially,

Plebeian of the Republic
Google
Jaime
Welcome to ad.gif smile.gif
moif
Greetings and well met.

I can understand the problem of identifying one's political stand point. I can't really figure out where I stand any more. Its as if the whole idea of a single political perspective has been rendered moot and old fashioned by the broad expanse of ideas now available via the internet. If I know anything though, its that debate is the best way to test one's political ideas so I hope you'll find yourself welcome and comfortable at ad.gif
Maybe Maybe Not
Welcome, ColoradoPlebeian! And I echo everything moif just said.
Ted
Welcome Plebeian of the Republic - we all look forward to your views and insight.

Julian
Hello Les - welcome to ad.gif
Curmudgeon
QUOTE(ColoradoPlebeian @ Feb 13 2011, 01:51 PM) *
I was, at one time, comfortable in describing myself as a Republican. As the years have gone by, my personal experiences and observations have lead me to a point where I am no longer comfortable with that description. I have found no other political party whose platform I am comfortable enough with to declare my allegiance to. This is the reason I have listed "none" for party affiliation. To go even one step further, I feel at this time that political parties (especially the two main parties in our politics) are having a negative influence on our government. Because of this, I do not see myself associating in a meaningful way with a political party anytime in the near future.

Well, this is certainly a place where you can safely express your opinions on various topics, and see if you can find a comfortable voice in our Democracy. I began to define myself as a Democrat when I realized that there was only a single Republican that I could recall having voted for.

We have a few members on the far Right, and in between, we have what I suspect may be the future of Democracy... We have people that voice their opinions, back up their arguments when possible, and likely have far more effect than we think we do.

I know that when I reach a conclusion on a topic, I am apt to copy and paste to a word document, remove the hyperlinks, edit, and then copy and paste to a message to my Congressman or the White House. I can recall when I used to invest in postage to do that, but then I can still recall when the price of first class postage gave rise to the phrase, "putting in my two cents worth."

Pour yourself some of your favorite libation, smoke if you're so inclined, relax, go to the top of the page and click on "view new posts" or browse until something gets your dander up. We're all here because we feel that as individuals, we are the best informed, most knowledgeable...

I had a co-worker who used to say:
It's easy to tell when he's lying; his lips are moving.

Actually, I'm usually only lying if I have playing cards in my left hand and a coffee cup in my right hand. His main interaction with me over the years was in the lunchroom...

Welcome to the fray, and enjoy your stay!
ColoradoPlebeian
Thank you for the welcomes! smile.gif
Google
This is a simplified version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.