Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The site is chewing on my posts.
America's Debate > Forum Information > Comments and Suggestions
Google
entspeak
I've had this problem a few times now. I reply in a thread, post that reply, edit that reply... everything looks fine. Come back later to find the post truncated mid word or sentence. Sometimes, creating a detailed response can take a lot of time... If the post was there in its entirety at one time, is there a record of that? Can a post be returned to its original state?
Google
Mike
That's strange.

Can you direct me to an example of that so I can investigate?

Thanks,

Mike
entspeak
QUOTE(Mike @ Mar 10 2011, 12:20 AM) *
That's strange.

Can you direct me to an example of that so I can investigate?

Thanks,

Mike

Yes, I was just about to edit in the most recent occurrence...

Here

Thanks for the prompt reply! smile.gif

Mike
Hm.

The same data is stored in the database. It ends in a percent sign, which makes me suspicious that there is a problem.

Did you happen to save a copy of the text of the post? If not, do you happen to recall if there were any of the BB Code tags that coincide with where the post was cut off?

We are long overdue on an upgrade, which I bet would eliminate that problem. ermm.gif

Mike
Curmudgeon
Mike,

I have had the same problem for years... I long ago developed the habit of starting a post, copying the entire post to a word processor, editing in the word processor, and then pasting back to ad.gif before posting. If I have a power failure, lose my router, or lose my ISP while the Internet is digesting my post, I still have a backup. Once the finished, edited post looks good, I can delete my personal copy.
Mike
Yeah, I do that everywhere I post. I think it's good practice.

Man, I have to do that upgrade. blush.gif

Mike
entspeak
QUOTE(Mike @ Mar 10 2011, 12:30 AM) *
Hm.

The same data is stored in the database. It ends in a percent sign, which makes me suspicious that there is a problem.

Did you happen to save a copy of the text of the post? If not, do you happen to recall if there were any of the BB Code tags that coincide with where the post was cut off?

We are long overdue on an upgrade, which I bet would eliminate that problem. ermm.gif

Mike

Unfortunately not. I originally copied the entire post because I keep having a problem when I edit where the "Loading... please wait" pop up stays and the edit never loads. Usually, copying the entire contents of the post... canceling the edit and trying again works. But, after posting it and seeing that it was all there, I moved on to other things - which involved copying other things to the clipboard - thus eliminating the previous contents.

As I recall, the next word in the post was meant to be "to." There was no code there.

I used to take things off the site to edit, but then ran into the unicode font problem and having people edit their posts while I was offline responding.

I don't know why I thought you guys had a sort of window into edits so that you could see earlier versions of the post. If you don't, then I will rewrite the post tomorrow. Perhaps composing responses offline would be the best solution until the problem can be fixed.
Mike
I'm sorry you lost your post. sad.gif

The software doesn't keep any sort of a post history. When you edit a post, the content stored in the database is replaced with the edited content. Maybe someone who posted in the topic had a subscription email sent out that contains the post. That could actually help-- we could see if the full post made it to the subscription, or if the truncated post was sent.

Does this only happen when editing, or when posting a new post? If it only happens when editing, does it only do it during the quick edit, or does it do it for both the quick and the full?

Mike
entspeak
QUOTE(Mike @ Mar 10 2011, 01:02 AM) *
I'm sorry you lost your post. sad.gif

The software doesn't keep any sort of a post history. When you edit a post, the content stored in the database is replaced with the edited content. Maybe someone who posted in the topic had a subscription email sent out that contains the post. That could actually help-- we could see if the full post made it to the subscription, or if the truncated post was sent.

Does this only happen when editing, or when posting a new post? If it only happens when editing, does it only do it during the quick edit, or does it do it for both the quick and the full?

Mike

Oh, I didn't realize that the email subscription did that. If I remember correctly, my last edit was done using the full. Previously, it's happened using quick edit. It does seem to only happen when editing, that I've noticed.

Unless someone has a copy of the full response in their email, I'll just repost a response tomorrow when I have time.

Thanks!

I found a cached copy of the page upon which my full response was included. I don't know if having this index.php file would help you figure out what happened, but if you want it, Mike, let me know.

Thanks again. smile.gif
Google
This is a simplified version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.