Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dual citizenship
America's Debate > Archive > Assorted Issues Archive > [A] International Debate
Google
Greenring7
Hey everyone.

What is the easiest EU country for an American to gain dual citizenship in, and what are the pros and cons of citizenship in that country as opposed to the others?

-Robert
Google
Mrs. Pigpen
I don't know the easiest. My youngest son is dual citizen (Italian and American) because he was born in an Italian hospital. I think it was pretty easy (for HIM smile.gif )
Greenring7
har har!

Silly wabbit.

I believe most of our parents would have a slight issue with re-birthing us in another country (not to mention a second time).

Say.. does anyone have a list of countries in the EU?

-Robert
Wertz
I can only speak of Ireland. If you have a parent or grandparent who was born there (and can document it)you're automatically eligible for citizenship under the Foreign Births Act of 1954. Otherwise, it's kind of an arduous process of having to establish and maintain residency and stuff.
moif
Say.. does anyone have a list of countries in the EU?

http://www.eurunion.org/states/home.htm
http://europa.eu.int/index_en.htm
London2LA
A problem for you will be that the US does not recognize dual citizenship and considers taking another citizenship as renouncement of your US citizenship, so be very careful. I'm more lucky in that as a Brit, I can take US citizenship and not lose my UK citizenship even though the US demands that I renounce it.

Tony
sacridias
I am just trying to find the easiest 1st world non-us country to gain citizenship in. I really have gotten tired of this country, and apparently have few common beliefs to those I live near. I am a little more picky than just the easiest though (Mexico is not my destination), but I want freedom, not damnation by capitalistic decisive vote and Florida fudging.
All the countries seem to say you have to be able to do something that a local cannot, it seems like America is the easiest country to come to, really kind of annoying.
kimpossible
I know that Spain and Italy allow you citzenship if you have relatives that are originally from there (and Ive heard told that with Italian citzenship its up til the fourth generation, but an Italian told me that.) I am pretty sure its the same way in England, when I was in France my neighbor was American but her father was British, so she carries both a UK passport and an American passport. I assume trying to get citzenship while having no roots to the country will probably be rather difficult, and you need to have steady income and residency first.

And while I am not really up on immigration law, I was under the impression that you could carry a dual citizenship in America without renouncing your state of origin. I had an ex who was from Canada who was thinking of doing that....
Julian
You probably already know, but if you can get citizenship to any country in the EU, you have right of residence in ANY EU country. You could get a Greek passport and never set foot there, living in Spain instead. If you can get Irish citizenship, you can live and work in the UK without needing to get a wrok permit here.

A friend of mine from upstate NY does exactly that. Her maternal grandmother was Irish, so she took up dual nationality 10-15 years ago and has lived in England ever since. She's now married to an Englishman.

Administratively, she has to go through more hoops to keep her US nationality than anything else (in fact, I'm not sure she hasn't let it lapse, now that she's here permanently).
sacridias
My hopes is that I make enough money through contracts and royalties as to where I can prove financial stability before I go. I should probably check with the immigration before then, I would hope that is equal to having employment there. If not then I guess I will have to start a company, then expand there, just so I can be forced to go there wink.gif....Thanks for the feedback, it is good to know. Enough about ideas that may come to past, first does anyone know how far back I have to have my roots, I have a great grandmother from some country over there, I think switzerland but I am not sure.
Google
Kanyeshnah
Switzerland is very hard to get citizenship in. Details are sketchy but I heard once that you had to wait 10 years while going through all that technical stuff. I don't know about you, but 10 years is VERY LONG (at least to me).
This is a simplified version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.