Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Federal Funding for Harvey Relief and Rebuilding
America's Debate > In the News > Current Events and Headline News
Google
AuthorMusician
Harvey hit Houston and other Gulf of Mexico areas. It is referred to as a 500-year flood, which tells me this has never happened before. That's because 500 years ago, it was the start of the 16th century, and there was absolutely zero weather tracking back then for the Gulf of Mexico and pretty much anywhere else. Maybe there's archaeological evidence of a big flood in 1518? Probably not.

Regardless, now Congress has to face up to yet another big, expensive weather event.

Where does Harvey leave the Republican Congress on issues of funding the government and raising the national debt?

Where does Harvey leave President Trump on his plans to cut taxes?

How might Harvey change Republican politics?

A political adage goes, Where you stand depends on where you sit. Looks to me that Republicans now sit in dirty Texan flood waters. There's nowhere else to go, so it's come to cheeses time. IOW, get off your duffs and do something already!
Google
Gray Seal
Where does Harvey leave the Republican Congress on issues of funding the government and raising the national debt?

With the shorthand of summing up the Democrats as the evil party and Republicans as the stupid party, I do not expect any sensible decisions in regard to funding nor raising the national debt.

It should not effect Trump's position on tax cuts.

Harvey will not change current policies. Only economic collapse will as people by large remain clueless in regards to basic economics.

Federal politicians will continue to spend money they do not have. Spending money sounds good to most people. Politicians are rewarded with re election when they spend money.
entspeak
QUOTE(AuthorMusician @ Aug 30 2017, 08:33 AM) *
Harvey hit Houston and other Gulf of Mexico areas. It is referred to as a 500-year flood, which tells me this has never happened before. That's because 500 years ago, it was the start of the 16th century, and there was absolutely zero weather tracking back then for the Gulf of Mexico and pretty much anywhere else. Maybe there's archaeological evidence of a big flood in 1518? Probably not.

"500 year", in this instance, refers to probability and not history. It means there is a 1-in-500 probability (0.2% chance) of such an event in any given year... the odds are that a flood like this will occur once every 500 years - pretty rare. 100 year events are also pretty rare. But, we seem to be having events like this with increasing frequency.

I don't think it will have much of an effect on any of these things.
Gray Seal
Though not part of the questions, it is important to consider whether there should be any federal money going to the hurricane disaster. The answer is "No".

Bad things happen. Trees fall down. Rain falls. Winds blow. If you have chosen to invest in an area pron to hurricanes that is a decision. Dealing with those decisions is a local problem. If a volcano in Oregon becomes active, that is a risk someone who lives there has taken. If an earthquake happens along the San Andreas it will damage property for those living near it. If a tornado winds through Nebraska, that is a risk for those living there.

We all need to look at risks. We assume those risks when we decided to live where natural disaster may happen. Building in a high risk areas should not mean others who did not take those risk should be made to financially responsible for those choices.

I fully support voluntary donations and outright direct help from volunteers. I do not support federal money being spent. That is charity work which should come from private organizations.
AuthorMusician
QUOTE(entspeak @ Sep 2 2017, 08:40 AM) *
"500 year", in this instance, refers to probability and not history. It means there is a 1-in-500 probability (0.2% chance) of such an event in any given year... the odds are that a flood like this will occur once every 500 years - pretty rare. 100 year events are also pretty rare. But, we seem to be having events like this with increasing frequency.

I've never run across this analysis of a 500-year or 100-year flood. Any supporting links, or is this just your take and nobody else's?

I take note that President Trump wants federal tax dollars quickly for the Harvey victims. Looks to me that Harvey has already changed his politics. Nothing like reality to sober up idealists.

And now another big arse hurricane is coming to Florida. Expect more wishful thinking to take a backseat to the needs of people as a little thing called cause-effect (karma, Newton) slaps the East Coast silly.

And the federal budget issues loom this month. Good luck getting tax cuts in this, um, climate of serious change.

Trump could just tell all these people that they're on their own and go ahead with his plans to cut taxes, build the wall, drain the swamp, make America great again . . . but he won't. It'd mean bad ratings, smaller crowds, and perhaps Second Amendment solution seekers at his door.

Maybe Florida can shoot its way out of this one? Harvey messed with Texas and won. Geezus but Ma Nature can be a bitch, and she apparently doesn't care what any of us think or where we decide to live. It's as is if she's everywhere at once! Sort of like an environment closed off from space by mysterious science stuff, huh.

NOTE: The preceding sarcasm is not aimed at anyone in particular, just humans in general. Not very far from the trees, are we.
Gray Seal
Federal government spending is not the solution to natural disasters. Houston being hit by a hurricane? Who would have thunk? Houston flooding? Never heard of such a thing! Florida being hit by a hurricane? Tell me it isn't true! These are natural events which people do prepare for.

A storm moved through yesterday. It took down a tree on the walk into my building. Disaster! Where is my free help? This is not the best approach to dealing with occurrences not frequent but expected.

Local problems are best handled locally. There are lessons to be learned from natural disasters. Turning on the spicket of federal money creation is just another disaster but one that is man made. People who are the path of natural phenomena should bear the brunt of living in those paths. They should be able to if they wish. They should not expect subsidies to do so.

I will take down the rest of the tree at my office and dispose of the wood. That is how to deal with a natural event locally.

------

As to actions from President Trump, progressives must be rejoicing as Trump could not have a more progressive like response. People all over must be happy that Trump turns out to be another spendthrift and war monger just like their dear old Hillary.

The street has no reason to not be exclaiming, "In spite of Trump's demeanor he is actually a progressive just like we are!"
AuthorMusician
QUOTE(Gray Seal @ Sep 5 2017, 07:00 PM) *
Federal government spending is not the solution to natural disasters. Houston being hit by a hurricane? Who would have thunk? Houston flooding? Never heard of such a thing! Florida being hit by a hurricane? Tell me it isn't true! These are natural events which people do prepare for.

A storm moved through yesterday. It took down a tree on the walk into my building. Disaster! Where is my free help? This is not the best approach to dealing with occurrences not frequent but expected.

Local problems are best handled locally. There are lessons to be learned from natural disasters. Turning on the spicket of federal money creation is just another disaster but one that is man made. People who are the path of natural phenomena should bear the brunt of living in those paths. They should be able to if they wish. They should not expect subsidies to do so.

I will take down the rest of the tree at my office and dispose of the wood. That is how to deal with a natural event locally.

------

As to actions from President Trump, progressives must be rejoicing as Trump could not have a more progressive like response. People all over must be happy that Trump turns out to be another spendthrift and war monger just like their dear old Hillary.

The street has no reason to not be exclaiming, "In spite of Trump's demeanor he is actually a progressive just like we are!"

Doesn't seem like much of a comparison, your tree versus hundreds of thousands losing everything. However, Trump has no choice when it comes to disasters of this magnitude, nor does anyone else. It means that Ma Nature is winning when it comes to human nature that wants to ignore disasters, brush problems aside, go on as if reality is what one wants it to be.

Doesn't matter if you're conservative, liberal, progressive, rich or poor. When the levee breaks, got no place to stay. I wonder how Trump's golf club will do in this, if he'll be applying for government relief?

Of course Trump could try to withhold FEMA and other funds. I would not be surprised if he did try, since his personality is very mercurial, and he doesn't have a very good track record for staying on topic. On the other hand, he might indeed turn progressive upon realizing how truly real climate change is.

The problem with that is a few hours later, he might change into the direct opposite. A loose cannon is more predictable, but what does remain solid is that virtually nobody will want him in any position remotely associated with power once this episode, meaning his accidental presidency, is done.

In that sense, his politics remain the same -- unknowable.
Gray Seal
Is your argument that federal assistance should provided if multiple people are damaged by natural causes? How many are needed before this help is given? Is the damage any less for a particular individual when too few people have significant damage?

Is it just politics? Lots of people being damaged is a lot of votes to sway? Groups matter while individuals not so much?
Google
This is a simplified version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.