Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Which Reps best represent you?
America's Debate > Archive > Political Debate Archive > [A] Republican Debate
Google
aquapub
I voted for McCain in the primaries, but backed Bush. I use to think McCain-Powell, but Colin is getting on my nerves with his affirmative action rhetoric.

"For every one black man graduating from college, there are one hundred going to jail, we still need affirmative action."

Um..No. Policies like that are exactly the kind of thing that perpetuate the dysfunction of the black community. They do not need another handout to fuel the delusion that they don't have to meet the government halfway like the rest of us.

I'm thinking more McCain-Dole now, but who best represents you?
Google
Jaime
You do realize people can only pick ONE option with the polls, right? huh.gif
Izdaari
There's no one listed who represents me very well. The only one listed who does at all is Forbes in that he's closest to my views, but he's not a good candidate in that he lacks charisma and campaigning skill. Pete DuPont, John Kasich, Jack Kemp and Newt Gingrich are some other prominent Republicans whose views are similar to mine in many respects. Even closer though lesser known are Rep. Ron Paul (R-TX) and Rep. Jennifer Dunn (R-WA). My ideal candidate? Probably talk radio host Larry Elder, a black libertarian Republican who opens his show as "for Republicans with libertarian leanings and those who ought to be."

So ideally an explicitly libertarian Republican and next best, the "Conservative Opportunity Society" Republicans. and Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan character isn't far off either. Bush is ok by me except that he's too profligate a spender and too insensitive to civil liberties, but those are IMO very serious flaws.
Bill55AZ
McCain and Powell, not sure which gets top billing.
I am tired of business as usual and I suspect that either of these 2 would shake things up a bit.
Cephus
QUOTE(aquapub @ Jul 15 2003, 11:36 PM)
I voted for McCain in the primaries, but backed Bush. I use to think McCain-Powell, but Colin is getting on my nerves with his affirmative action rhetoric.

"For every one black man graduating from college, there are one hundred going to jail, we still need affirmative action."

Um..No. Policies like that are exactly the kind of thing that perpetuate the dysfunction of the black community. They do not need another handout to fuel the delusion that they don't have to meet the government halfway like the rest of us.

I'm thinking more McCain-Dole now, but who best represents you?

Agreed. I voted McCain because I think he's got enough guts to push aside traditional special interests and actually do what's right for America. I can't say that for most of the others.

On the Powell front, I agree with you. I always thought it was interesting that affirmative action advocates point out supposed inequities, yet completely ignore the fact that if 100 black men are going to jail, that means that 100 black men are commiting crimes! It isn't like they're getting picked up off the street corner and thrown in jail for something they didn't do. What the AA people need to focus on is stopping crime or making sentencing more equitable, not letting black criminals out of jail because the statistics look bad.
xyzzy
Jim Kolbe would make a great veep, but dunno if he has enough clout within the GOP to make it so. Cheney/Kolbe '08 might work, but for '04 I'd go with Bush/Cheney.
RobJohnstone
My Dream Team Would be a Pat Buchanan /Colin Powell ticket.

--Rob
Jimbo
My vote's on Bush. The Guy may have a view problems, but he's right up my alley. Of course, there will be problems, how hard do you think it was to deal with 911 and make orders that may not have been the right ones or not...But most orders are legiate.
Jaime
QUOTE(RobJohnstone @ Sep 14 2003, 06:39 PM)
My Dream Team Would be a Pat Buchanan /Colin Powell ticket.

--Rob

Rob - this forum is for declared Republicans ONLY.
SoCaliente_1
one key person missing. Condolezza Rice.

Powell/Rice or McCain/Rice would be awesome.

powell is a moderate as is McCain. Rice as a conservative would balance the ticket.
all 3 have foreign affairs experience which I feel will be of utmost importance in the next few elections.
Google
The Answer
Hello all! My very 1st post on here biggrin.gif

Newt would be the one who represents me the best I think, maybe Bob Dornan for VP....but I'll settle for Bush/Cheney in 2004
Desert Resident
My bet is on Bush and although much can happen in a year, Cheney has said that he will continue to serve as long the the President wants him-let's hope his health remains A-1 so that he can. They make a good team. mrsparkle.gif

John McCain is Senator of Arizona and a darn good one! I think he means it when he said on Larry King, and other talk shows, that he will never consider running again for President. I doubt that he would even consider #2 on the ticket.

Now, if you are talking about a female President, Connie Rice is one that has some potential. But, I think her next dream job is to own or manage a baseball team-she loves sports! Yeah! Connie Rice/Steve Forbes for 2008! In our dreams! wink.gif
deerjerkydave
I voted for Alan Keyes. I was surprised to see that I was not the only one. Alan is smart, has a quick wit, is charismatic, and is conservative. I also liked So_Caliente's idea of Condolezza Rice being on the ticket. Both of these people are bright and talented and would get me vote any day. That would be great: Alan Keyes and Condolezza Rice for President and Vice President!
Desert Resident
Now there is an idea! I forgot about that marvelous motivational speaker, Alan Keyes! He frquently runs for President...what happen that he is not running in the 2004 election? I would be interested in an Elizabeth Dole/Keyes ticket!
Aviator
Yeah I voted for Keyes in this poll and would have voted for him in the primaries.

I was surprised to see that I was not the only one. Alan is smart, has a quick wit, is charismatic, and is conservative.

When he was debating with Bush and McCain he always was the best speaker.
overlandsailor
I Like the Idea of Larry Elder as well and I would love to see Alan Keys run and win. Obviously I'll be voting for Bush but I think we need a people like Elder / Keys to try to Restore common sense and personal responsibility to politics and the country as a whole.
Titus
I like John McCain cause of his foreign policy. Foreign policy is very important to me and with the exception of a few items regarding China, I'd vote for him. As for Vice President, I'd say it's a tie between Steve Forbes and Allan Keyes. Anyone who knows how to run a business as sucessfully as Steve Forbes has should be influential in how our economy is run. Alan Keyes... now what I like about him is his confidence and the thing that struck me was that he was the lone person in the 2000 elections that opposed China's entry into the WTO. Going against the grain. I like that. But I'd probably stick with McCain/Forbes.
Skyler1534
I find it hard anymore to support Bush fully since I have found his manner, economic policies, and gay bashing to be much less than what I would want. However, It is almost a certainty that he will be the Presidential candidate. What isn't completely certain is whether Cheney will be with him.

There was an article in last week's edition of The Economist magazine giving some very good reasons for getting a new running mate. I don't support Cheney as Vice President as I feel he has done little good. When I was reading the article my thoughts went to John McCain.

McCain seems to be a less conservative and yet very strong Republican. Since I, myself, am a moderate Republican with a few liberal leanings, it seems like McCain would balance out the ticket nicely and maybe give Bush some new perspective as well. Still, I would not want McCain as president at this point simply because I think he is too wild.

My vote would have to go to "other" for President (which I entered), but without a good idea of who I would want besides Bush. If McCain became his running mate, though, I would support him much more.

-Patrick Aiden Hunt
Luz
That would be great: Alan Keyes and Condolezza Rice for President and Vice President!

I agree, I would love to see a Keyes/Rice ticket! I voted for Alan Keyes in the last election. Hes intelligent, courageous, and articulates conservative principles with precision and eloquence.

I have no choice but to support Bush in the upcoming election, but I question whether he really believes in limited government and I'm seriously troubled by his stance on illegal immigration.
lee
My ideal ticket wouldn't work until 2008. I would put Condi on the ticket as veep for 04 so she can take over in 08. I think Hillary will run in 08, and what better opponent than Rice? She is brilliant! Other Republicans with bright futures are Frist and Santorum; either of them have the potential to make a few waves in the future.
Autopolitic
I really like Tom Ridge as a future presidential candidate, a Northeastern moderate whos tough in the war on terror.
finner
im not sure too much about cheny but i really support Bush. Most things are right on target for me.
This is a simplified version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.