Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Can you handle the heat?
America's Debate > Archive > Assorted Issues Archive > [A] Science and Technology > [A] Environmental Debate
Google
Jaime
There is clear evidence that the earth has risen in average temperature over the last century. The exact cause of that rise is subject to debate.

My question is - so what? What does it matter that the earth's gotten hotter over the last hundred years? Are we humans incapable of evolving to the earth's changes? Whether it gets hotter or colder?

I'm looking to get everyone's opinions - is the human race more like roaches or dinosaurs?
Google
ErinS
I know that we as humans are capable of evolving to the earth's changes.

There's just way too much evolving done on our part already to prove otherwise. Even if our solution to the rise in earth's temperature was to build whole "cities" or "existances" inside, in a kind of freaky "Bio Dome" type setting to protect us from the high heat and damaging sun - we'd do it.

Would we just sit around and watch each other cook and fry until eventually just shriveling up and dying? I think not.
Ouroboros
I donít think itís a question of whether we are like dinosaurs or roaches. As a species we are unique in our ability to affect global change in our environment.

The earth is warming. If the warming is our fault (probable), and we can do something to correct it, shouldnít we do everything in our power to do so?

Even if it isnít our fault (Iíll grant that as a possibility), we don't really have any clue what kind of effects global warming will have on climate, weather patterns, other species, or our own quality of life. Iím willing to go out on a limb and say that at least some of those effects will be harmful.

Yes, as a species, we will most likely survive (barring asteroids and comets). But, if all that is asked of us to maintain a better quality of life over the long term is to reduce pollution from burning fossil fuels and to try to keep from cutting down all the forests, Iím all for it.

I happen to like trees; I think theyíre pretty.
halloweener1
Lord knows that i havent been around long. but i know that the climate is changing. i happen to live in the northeast and dame we use to get snow passed our butts. but last year and the year before we havent gotten *** NOTICE: THIS WORD IS AGAINST THE RULES. FAILURE TO REMOVE IT WILL RESULT IN A STRIKE. ***!
we accually got out earlier than last years school year and the year before that. two weeks earlier. we use to get rain around average now we're in a bad drought. the areas around washington d.c. and the carolinas are getting more sever storms than they are use to seeing. more tornadoes are being spawned from them. and this year in the plains and down they really havent gotten anything except some t-storms and some MAJORE flooding. the south usually gets a hurricane or tropical storm at least sometime during the year didnt this year. maybe they will but i wouldnt count my chickens before they hatch. as for the west, they are now telling companies to either make cars more envo. healthy or dont sell them to us. we need to stop this now. the companies dont give a rats *** NOTICE: THIS WORD IS AGAINST THE RULES. FAILURE TO REMOVE IT WILL RESULT IN A STRIKE. *** cause all they see is bling bling and cha-ching in there sight. cut down more trees and not replace them, see what happends. when you put more cars out that scream your ozon layer is going to the shiz. if you dont believe what i wrote go to australia for vacation they have no ozon layer. you have to wear a ton of sun block, the highest out there.they dont let you go on the beaches without it. and antarctica, look at the glaciers they are MELTING. all countires and nations need to smarten up. build cars that can run on solar power or before Russia collapsed cars that run on Hydrogen. because fossile fuels are not going to last forever and nither is our ozon.and if we keep going this way nither are we. thank you for listening.(* i suck at punctuation so try to stay with me*)
Limpubus
Actually we have stopped the process of evolution by not letting the key ingredient happen anymore, survival of the fittest. We save the weak and feeble and make laws that give the less fortunate (less fit) help. So no we won't evolve past it. Besides that, the pollution that comes from our beloved cars is the cause of 200,000 deaths a year and we don't seem to be evolving past that.
Mike
Time to revive an old thread. I couldn't let that 200,000 figure be the last word.

I agree that we have tampered with the survival of the fittest.

But I do wonder how many lives are saved each year by automobiles? I see at least 10 ambulances each day, and I'm in a relatively small city.

I'm willing to bet that ambulances aid in the prevention of over 200,000 deaths each year in the US alone.

And I'm yet to see an obituary that cites "pollution" as the cause of death. tongue.gif

Mike
ScreeminDeemin
QUOTE(Limpubus @ Aug 27 2002, 11:26 PM)
Actually we have stopped the process of evolution by not letting the key ingredient happen anymore, survival of the fittest.  We save the weak and feeble and make laws that give the less fortunate (less fit) help.  So no we won't evolve past it.  Besides that, the pollution that comes from our beloved cars is the cause of 200,000 deaths a year and we don't seem to be evolving past that.

we still evolve, we just evolve with alot more reccesive genes also. natural selection doesnt have to do with everything and especially not humans, we are a very resilent race. you put a knife or a bullet through anything with a brain even half, or a quarter as big as ours it dead ... 2 pac got shut in the nuts twice ribs once, and in the head twice((at one time, he has ben shot in the head bfore)) and still lived. ive heard of a few cases like that. we also evolve faster than any other species im pretty sure. but anyways global warming isnt our next big threat, it is an ice age ... we are LOOOONG overdue, like 5 thousand years in a cycle that takes like 8-13 thousand years if i am correct. read the hab theory, i think you cant get a summary at www.habtheory.com/hab1.htm ... might wanna change hab to hab01/hab, and change htm to html. havent ben ther for ages, very interesting tho.
Google
This is a simplified version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.