Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Environmentalists
America's Debate > Archive > Assorted Issues Archive > [A] Science and Technology > [A] Environmental Debate
Google
David
What is your opinion?
Google
Cyan
I think you're going to have to be a little bit more specific. One does not have to be an extremist to be an environmentalist.
Jaime
Maybe I'm just going to be petty and get caught up in semantics, but I have always resented the word "environmentalist."

It makes an "Us and Them" separation. It implies that one is either against the environment or s/he is not. Let's ask ourselves, who is really "against" the environment? No one. People just have different solutions.

In that respect, I assume, David, that you are referring to the Limbaugh definition of environmentalist, meaning, "whacko liberal." Please let me know if I am reading you right.

Based on my philosophies, I would never find myself agreeing with the far left when it comes the environment. Particularly, I find the extremists who advocate environmental terrorism some of the vilest members of society. I also support controlled burns and drilling in Alaska, ideas some on the far left would find abhorrent.

I think I'm about to ramble off topic here, so I'll quiet down and let someone else post laugh.gif
David
Sorry I mean the extremeists like those who say we should not cut down any trees at all because we will not be able to have oxygen in the near future. those types of people
Mike
History has proven that extremists of any sort are not a good thing.

I don't see any reason why environmentalists are any different.

Mike
Alan Wood
QUOTE(Mike @ Nov 30 2002, 01:42 AM)

I don't see any reason why environmentalists are any different.

Mike

Mike.

What are extremists....
Is it a group with opposing views to yours? or is it a group forcing the media to take notice?.

How do we all become aware and make our individual choices?.

Extremists have a point of view on a particular subject and use whatever means at their disposal to bring it into focus.
It's not required to agree, just listen.

Is it any better or any worse than the extremists we all have in politics who have all the media coverage they require?.
I dont think so........If we dont know we cant ponder.

Regards....Alan
Cyan
QUOTE(Mike @ Nov 29 2002, 11:42 PM)

I agree. I strongly support the preservation of the environment, but environmental terrorism, specifically in regards to private property is not appropriate. There are more effective ways to get the message across. Extremism only succeeds in diverting people away from a cause.
David
I totally agree with cyan. you should be able (to a certain extent) do what you wish with your property without having to worry about environment fanatics making a big fuss about it or passing a new regulation to stop you. After all we do own the property and pay taxes on it.
Cyan
QUOTE(David @ Nov 30 2002, 07:42 AM)
I totally agree with cyan.  you should be able (to a certain extent) do what you wish with your property without having to worry about environment fanatics making a big fuss about it or passing a new regulation to stop you.  After all we do own the property and pay taxes on it.

I think you misunderstand me. I'm in strong support of environmental regulation. My problem is with environmental terrorists who vandalize private property in order to achieve their aims.
David
Sorry i guess I did misunderstand that. I see that point as well though. We should settle matters peacefully.
Google
Juber3
I think they are way way to extreem... Reasons are because if they say dont cut down any trees than we wont have paper... they cant just replant... also if they are griping about our factory pollutions, how are we going to keep our selves proteced? sticks and stones
Digital Patriot
I'm with Jaime. I detest eco terrorism.

Recently, someone from one of the large eco terrorism orgs in my state, blew up several logging trucks (no one was hurt or killed). The blast totalled one of them, and heavily damaged 2 others. I guess there were bombs planted under other trucks as well, but they didn't go off.

Crap like that doesn't exactly help their cause. In fact, I think it does the opposite.

--cheers
This is a simplified version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.