Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wildfires
America's Debate > Archive > Assorted Issues Archive > [A] Science and Technology > [A] Environmental Debate
Google
Juber3
We know wild fire are inevitable... well they may be almosty impossible to stop but tell me some ways to stop from starting
Google
Digital Patriot
For starters, don't burn a love letter from your X while hiking along in the hot dry forest. Especially if your a park ranger

(yes, this is really how the largest fire in Oregon started last year sad.gif )

--cheers
Mike
As long as you have a forest, you run the risk of a forest fire. It's just a fact of nature.

I guess the only real way to totally prevent forest fires would be to get rid of forests.

I don't think that's too good of an option though. huh.gif

Mike
Juber3
QUOTE(Mike @ Dec 5 2002, 01:55 AM)
As long as you have a forest, you run the risk of a forest fire. It's just a fact of nature.

I guess the only real way to totally prevent forest fires would be to get rid of forests.

I don't think that's too good of an option though. huh.gif

Mike

Agreed: But how are some ways to help prevent it. Aka fir extinguishers on every tree laugh.gif
Alan Wood
I dont know if it has been on American TV yet but, just as last year, there are bush fires raging out of control again around Sydney.

In Western Oz, where I live, there has been a system of back burning for many years and it has been 10yrs since we had a major fire with loss of property and life.

During spring the Government land management people do controlled burns, that is burning off strategic areas in order to contain the effect of spontanious fires that occur during summer.
They also renew the firebreaks.

They have never done this in the eastern states and this is the second year running that homes and vast areas of old growth has been destroyed.

Regards.........Alan
Juber3
Can some/one please explain to me how burning an area can prevent a fire... that always puzzled me
Alan Wood
QUOTE(juber3 @ Dec 5 2002, 09:54 PM)
Can some/one please explain to me how burning an area can prevent a fire... that always puzzled me

Selected and contolled back burning of areas removes potentially flammable material and is usually done prior to summer.
It is not done every year and very much depends on how dry the winter has been and how much new growth has appeared from previous back burns.

It isolates the firestorms and allows them to be controlled.

I suspect this method of control is only undertaken in Australia because of the evolution of our fauna, much of which can only re-propogate through burning.
Our Aboriginals have been doing it for thousands of years.

However, it works for us in WA.

Regards.......Alan
Google
This is a simplified version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.